Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Called Up

Re: Hamilton Called Up

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He doesn't need to be. The rule I posted is oversimplified. As I understand it, normally eligible players are guys on the 25 man roster, the major league DL, the major league bereavement list or major league suspended list on Aug 31. If any player who qualifies under those conditions is on the DL at the end of the season or during the play-offs, he may be replaced by any player who is in the organization on Aug 31. The only condition is that a DL'd pitcher must be replaced by another pitcher and a DL'd position player must be replaced by another position player (does not need to be the same position).

In the Reds case, Corky Miller may be the key guy. He will be on the big league DL on August 31 and is therefore eligible to be on the post-season roster. The Reds can make any other position player in the organization on Aug 31 eligible simply by placing Corky on the DL at the end of the season. Any other player who is on the roster now (no other position players on bereavement, suspended or DL list now) could also be DL'd if they need to be. The Reds have plenty of pitchers on the DL now and through the end of the year (Masset, Broxton to name two) to make any pitcher eligible.
    I'm pretty sure they even changed that a few years ago, the pitcher for pitcher/position player for position player rule only applies to players placed on the DL during the playoffs now. They could use Hamilton as the replacement for Masset, they just can't make him the replacement for a reliever who sprains his ankle in game 2 of the NLDS.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree. I would hope he's not on the postseason roster. He'd only be used in the "Brian Roberts" role, as a pinch runner in late innings.

I don't want a 22 rookie, no matter how fast, trying to steal a base in a high leverage situation of a playoff game, when everyone in the stadium knows he's running. Whatever the outcome, it would have a huge effect on Hamilton mentally. I'd rather he simply get some experience of being a big leaguer, and use that continue his development in AAA next season.
    Hoping for high leverage playoff games. Plural. That would be a good scenario and I don't think it would have any effect on Hamilton. Put him on the 25-man and turn him loose late as a PR.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Hoping for high leverage playoff games. Plural. That would be a good scenario and I don't think it would have any effect on Hamilton. Put him on the 25-man and turn him loose late as a PR.
    I would have done this for the post season. Think back last year 8th inning Hanigan was on 1st in the 8th or 9th of game 3.. Can you imagine the mental game he could have played on the Giants.. oh yes.. cant use SB is Dustys motto..

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    I would have done this for the post season. Think back last year 8th inning Hanigan was on 1st in the 8th or 9th of game 3.. Can you imagine the mental game he could have played on the Giants.. oh yes.. cant use SB is Dustys motto..
    Exactly, Hamilton could have impacted that series more than Chapman who had one of the best years ever for any reliever in the history of the Universe. Who also didn't even need to bother attending the series. And actually I am not sure he was at the series.

All it takes is one situation to make the difference. Billy Bates is calling on line 2.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Exactly, Hamilton could have impacted that series more than Chapman who had one of the best years ever for any reliever in the history of the Universe. Who also didn't even need to bother attending the series. And actually I am not sure he was at the series.

All it takes is one situation to make the difference. Billy Bates is calling on line 2.
    You mean like game one of the 1990 NLCS when Billy Bates was thrown out trying to steal in 9th with two on and one out of a 4-3 game? That definitely made a difference in that game.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The very first thought when I saw this:

"Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines"
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

My first thought was that Dusty is getting his wish:

A ton of speed at the top of the lineup and another sub par on base percentage too! Yay!

10. Likes:

toledodan (08-31-2013)

10/17/04
    Bottom of the 9th, Red Sox Batting, Behind 3-4
    Yankees' Mariano Rivera on the mound
    Kevin Millar walks
    Dave Roberts pinch runs
    Roberts Steals 2B
    Bill Mueller singles, Roberts scores to tie the game
    Red Sox win in extra innings
    Red Sox win the next 3 to beat the Yankees 4 games to 3
    Red Sox then beat the Cards to win the World Series

THATS why Billy Hamilton belongs on the 25 man roster in October

He can takes Itzuris's place. If Cozart gets hurt Hamilton can play SS the rest of that game & the team can replace Cozart with Itzuris for the rest of the postseason.

12. Likes:

blumj (08-31-2013),Old school 1983 (08-31-2013),RedsfaninMT (08-31-2013),Revering4Blue (08-31-2013)

I like this young man, lots of potential, and he's only 22.... but lightning speed means very little with a .308 OB%.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-31-2013)

I feel like we go through this Postseason roster rule every season at this time. Maybe it needs to be stickied around August 15th

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I think a lot of people are expecting too much from this call up. I wouldn't put a guy on the playoff roster just to be a pinch runner, let's face it, at this point that's all he is probably worth. I hope he comes up and plays great, I just don't think he will get much PT. I see it as a start every 8-9 days, pinch runner duties, and playing time in a blow out.
    Pretty well sums up the entire call-up list. Nothing there to help a team trending downward when they need help the most. While other playoff contenders are making moves looking for some spark, the Reds are content to give out merit badges (call-ups) to deserving young men and hope the underachievers can hang on.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I feel like we go through this Postseason roster rule every season at this time. Maybe it needs to be stickied around August 15th
    It's a good problem to have, though.

Nice to see Billy get the call up. The Reds are severely lacking in the speed department. Hopefully we get to see him used as a pinch runner late in games, and maybe as a defensive replacement too.

My Hamilton Prediction for Sept:

20 games
    42 PA
    20 SBs
    .263 AVG
    .333 OB%
    10 hits
    4 BBs
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    My Hamilton Prediction for Sept:

20 games
    42 PA
    20 SBs
    .263 AVG
    .333 OB%
    10 hits
    4 BBs