Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati-Colorado 9/1/13

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Cincinnati-Colorado 9/1/13

Leake could be hitting .450 and Einstein would still take the bat out of his hands.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The problem I have with this is I don't see it as a hustle play. There's no way Votto knew where that ball ended up because it was behind him. It looks like he assumed the ball made it through to centerfield....it didn't. The 3rd base coach knew it didn't and threw up the stop sign which Votto chose to ignore.
    I would argue that he knew where the ball was then he knew Berry was throwing up the stop sign. He wasn't even looking at Berry(maybe the problem) and looked more to be looking toward 1B.

I see the play as dumb aggressiveness - as opposed to smart aggressiveness. If you overrun a coach's clear stop sign you better be right.

I've about decided that this team is so poorly ran that they don't deservea payoff spot. The base running errors, the lack of trying to improve the club while their two rivals do, and the horrendous personnel problems leave me with that feeling.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I would argue that he knew where the ball was then he knew Berry was throwing up the stop sign. He wasn't even looking at Berry(maybe the problem) and looked more to be looking toward 1B.
    when you find yourself in a hole -- quit digging ---
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Considering how poorly we're playing today (in terms of hustle & brain farts), still a tie ballgame and we're in the Rockies pen. Pull a few heads out of some butts and we'll win this baby.

8. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-01-2013)

Cuddyer singles to center

It seems as if they are trying too hard to make something happen

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Yeah, was not a fan of Leake bunting there.
    But Dusty knows that's what pitcher are REQUIRED to do in that situation.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I've about decided that this team is so poorly ran that they don't deservea payoff spot. The base running errors, the lack of trying to improve the club while their two rivals do, and the horrendous personnel problems leave me with that feeling.
    And yet, as of right now, we're in the playoffs despite all of that...

13. Likes:

PepperJack (09-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Considering how poorly we're playing today (in terms of hustle & brain farts), still a tie ballgame and we're in the Rockies pen. Pull a few heads out of some butts and we'll win this baby.
    Problem is, the Reds do the same kind of stuff vs. the Cardinals.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The problem I have with this is I don't see it as a hustle play. There's no way Votto knew where that ball ended up because it was behind him. It looks like he assumed the ball made it through to centerfield....it didn't. The 3rd base coach knew it didn't and threw up the stop sign which Votto chose to ignore.
    Votto definitely knew where the ball was. The replay shows that he rounded the bag and clearly watched the ball being thrown to Helton at first and still went anyway.

It would seem that this Rockies reliever would have more trouble with lefties. He throws a nasty slider and the righties are struggling with it.

So Votto really should have let Hannahan hit there, rather than going for the aggressive play at home.

And Jack did get a single next inning.

I'm glad the Reds want to be aggressive on the bases. The problem is that they are slow. So they usually run into outs. Teams with speed are better situated for those kinds of plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Even if he did know where the ball was, he ain't fast enough to blow through anyone's stop sign.
    Last edited by RedsBrick; 09-01-2013 at 05:29 PM.

19. Likes:

max venable (09-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?