Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds end up as the 2nd WC team...

If the Reds end up as the 2nd WC team...

who would you ideally want to see them play in the WC game, NLDS, NLCS, WS?

The only team that scares me is St.Louis.

While the Cardinals might not be the best team in the playoffs, for whatever reason it seems like the Reds are intimidated by them.

So if the Reds end up as the 2nd WC team I'd prefer to play Pittsburgh in the WC game, and either LA or Atlanta in the NLDS. I would also hope to see St.Louis get beat in their NLDS by either Atlanta or LA.

If at all possible it'd be ideal if the Reds could avoid St.Louis all together in the playoffs.

My thinking is the Pirates will have the playoff jitters, with it being their first appearance in around 20 years, and the Reds seem to play better against Pittsburgh than St. Louis. Having the season come down to 1 game in St.Louis seems a lot scarier than having it in Pittsburgh.

And though Atlanta and L.A both might be better teams I still would like the Reds chances more against them than the Cardinals.

As for the WS, I am not really picky on who the Reds play. If the even make it that far I will be ecstatic.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds end up as the 2nd WC team...

I spent a lot of time last September really hoping for the Giants. This year I think I'll just take whatever match up we get.

I'd like to see the reds play St. Louis. Sure they struggle against them and seem intimidated by them, but this group needs to learn to step up in crunch time and overcome that. I think it'd go a long way for the team and their confidence, this year and years to come, if they could beat St. Louis even if it was in a one game playoff.

5. Likes:

joshua (09-02-2013)

I accidentally posted this in another thread, thinking it was this thread.

Logic tells me to root for the Cardinals to win the division, if not the Reds.

Things could change, but right now, the Cards would play the Dodgers in the forst round, and the Braves would play the winner of the Reds/Pirates playoff game.

I think the Dodgers can knock off the Cards, especially with a rotation lead by Keeshaw, Grienke and Ryu. I think the Reds match up best against the Braves, if they get that far. The Braves don't have a great rotation, although the Reds rotation after Latos is a little shaky.

All that can change and probably will, but as it stands right now, I think the Reds best shot if they don't win the division, is for the Cardinals to win it. However dirty that makes me feel.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Take my chances with the Pirates or Braves.

Don't want (in order) Dodgers or Cardinals. Reds have no prayer vs. LA's lefty-heavy rotation with Kershaw at the top of it. And we're well aware of what's happened with STL in this year's matchups.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-02-2013)

Well if St. Louis has it set up to pitch Wainwright, I may root for it to be them. But since the Reds are going to win the division, it won't matter who pitches for the Pirates or Cardinals against each other...
    Where we gonna go?

10. Likes:

flyersbaseball (09-02-2013),marcshoe (09-02-2013)

BRING ON THE CARDINALS!caps

I believe the one game playoff only comes into play if 2 teams finish with a identical regular season record in their division.

I'd prefer to get the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I believe the one game playoff only comes into play if 2 teams finish with a identical regular season record in their division.

I'd prefer to get the Pirates.
    Please tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think that is correct. 2 teams tied for the division title play in a tiebreaker game, no tiebreaker rules avoid that.

Who here, if granted the option today, would lock in the Reds as the 2nd WC team?

If you avoid taking that option, the season plays out, and the Reds could still win the division or miss the playoffs completely.

St. Louis.

They have the least "dominant" pitcher to use in a one-game series.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Who here, if granted the option today, would lock in the Reds as the 2nd WC team?

If you avoid taking that option, the season plays out, and the Reds could still win the division or miss the playoffs completely.
    It's become more difficult to win the Division after losing the last three series, but taking 3 out of 4 from the Cardinals keeps them in contention. Split these four with the Cardinals, and I believe the Division dreams are over with.

Whatever allows either the Reds or Pirates to face the Cards in a one game playoff and eliminate them.

Agreed. The Cards get scary in a longer series, but in a one game shot, you get games like today.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I hope the Cards and Pirates tie for the division, play a 25 inning one-game playoff, then we get the loser of that game 24 hours later.

Turn Off Ads?