Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Player never to get 2,000 hits

Re: Best Player never to get 2,000 hits

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Speier could pick it at SS...but doesn't change my opinion. Nettles and Staub getting that close to 3,000 games played....wouldn't get close in today's game.
    Staub was a stud, unsure how he gets so derided, Nettles was according to James a small notch below Robinson as fielder and he had pop in the plastic age, a think hes underrated

2. Turn Off Ads?

No one on the list is bad.
    Like Henny Youngman says: "Relative to who". Calling Nettles and or Staub the "worst" on the list..... what can I say. Have to assume you wern't around in the 70's. Worse than Stan hack? Worse than Al Dark? Frank White? Seriously.

4. Likes:

westofyou (09-03-2013)

McGee and Pierre had a lot of SB

Willie doesn't actually have all that many, anyway.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Staub was a stud, unsure how he gets so derided, Nettles was according to James a small notch below Robinson as fielder and he had pop in the plastic age, a think hes underrated
    I always thought that Puff ranked higer than B. Robby because he had to play with Steinbrenner breathing down his neck. Pretty hard to hit a ball past either one of them.

Other than his brief stay with the Mets, Staub played in obscurity on some pretty bad teams. I went back and looked at his career and he was indeed a stud. The Nettles dissing I just don't get.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Played 2700 career games and only 1 time did he OPS over .805

Power hitter playing for the Yankees and only 1 time with 100+ RBI?

500 fewer hits than games played?...for someone that wasn't high in walks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Like Henny Youngman says: "Relative to who". Calling Nettles and or Staub the "worst" on the list..... what can I say. Have to assume you wern't around in the 70's. Worse than Stan hack? Worse than Al Dark? Frank White? Seriously.
    They aren't THE worst as to my post.

My 1 players without looking at a single stat outside of career hits was Mark Grudzielanek......I simply mentioned 2 guys that played an unbelievable amount of games and their numbers don't sparkle. I know Nettles was an outstanding 3B but he was also a career .248 hitter with an OPS+ of 110 (Stan Hack was at 119)...defense can propel Nettles further up this list.....digging deep into Staub's numbers 2953 games is crazy....his OPS+ of 124 was slightly better than I was guessing but a career WAR of 48 in 23 seasons doesn't amaze.

And no I do not recall the 70's as I was only a Kindergartener or younger.

I don't get pounding on Staub either. And he is an even greater philanthropist being one of the few stars whose retirement years are even greater than his playing days.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No one on the list is bad.....you can't be bad for a career and get to 2,000 hits.

Played 2700 career games and only 1 time did he OPS over .805

Power hitter playing for the Yankees and only 1 time with 100+ RBI?

500 fewer hits than games played?...for someone that wasn't high in walks?
    Isn't defense part of this critique? Or are we just going to cherry pick a few offensive stats? And Al Dark never had a slugging per centage above .480.

Isn't defense part of this critique? Or are we just going to cherry pick a few offensive stats? And Al Dark never had a slugging per centage above .480.
    My #1 was Mark Grudzielanek.

You can say Al Dark 500 more times if you like. I already stated above that Staub, while still not greatly impressive to me was better than I thought after looking.......I get the Nettles defense...I understand. Neither Nettles or Staub are the worst but I simply mentioned them without looking at a stat but simply remembering the back of their baseball cards surprised me that they lasted so long.

Now.....who is the worst?

Stan Hack is not the worst.

I've never once looked at Alvin Dark's stats.

Grudzielanek was an OPS+ of 90 and career WAR under 30 I believe.

Tons of players to consider.....Zeile?

Frank White is down there.

WAR says Garrett Anderson but I disagree....hard on Don Baylor, disagree again.

Game 3 of the 78 World Series, Yankees down 2 games-0. Do or die! Sitting over third base in the upper deck at the old Stadium. Guidry doesn't have it but is gritting it out. And over the course of the game Puff makes 3 of the greatest plays I've ever seen before or since. In one game.

" Nettles' defense saved at least four runs...... In the top of the ninth inning, when Lopes came to bat, he jokingly waved Nettles away from the third base line. Nettles shook it off."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_World_Series#Game_3

Little did we realize as we boarded the D train back to Manhattan, that 30 years later some fellow ( who admiitedly never saw Nettles play a game) was going to dismiss Nettles' entire career by complaining: "only 1 time with 100+ RBI".

I just wasn't made for these times.

15. Likes:

jojo (09-03-2013)

Frank White is down there.

Frank White was probally one of the 5 greatest defensive second basemen to ever play the game. He was also very steady with the bat.

There are much worse on the list than Frank White.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Game 3 of the 78 World Series, Yankees down 2 games-0. Do or die! Sitting over third base in the upper deck at the old Stadium. Guidry doesn't have it but is gritting it out. And over the course of the game Puff makes 3 of the greatest plays I've ever seen before or since. In one game.

" Nettles' defense saved at least four runs...... In the top of the ninth inning, when Lopes came to bat, he jokingly waved Nettles away from the third base line. Nettles shook it off."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_World_Series#Game_3

Little did we realize as we boarded the D train back to Manhattan, that 30 years later some fellow ( who admiitedly never saw Nettles play a game) was going to dismiss Nettles' entire career by complaining: "only 1 time with 100+ RBI".

I just wasn't made for these times.
    I'll assume your post took more than 4 minutes....otherwise you are being a butt.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Frank White was probally one of the 5 greatest defensive second basemen to ever play the game. He was also very steady with the bat.

There are much worse on the list than Frank White.
    List some.

Turn Off Ads?