Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapmans next Save Opp

Re: Chapmans next Save Opp

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Follow up:

If this was planned by the Reds, why not disable him and bring up an arm?
    Not sure it was pre-planned. But they certainly haven't been "getting him work" so maybe the Reds are just content letting him rest. Maybe they had decided to use him sparingly in this stretch.

And maybe they didn't want to have him unavailable just in case they were in a lot of close ball games.

But however it came about, it could work out well at the very end of the regular season and in any wild card game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The risk of pitching Chapman in a non-stress situation is that the "practice" outing is to be sure to be followed by 3-4 real required outings to the point where he'll have to miss a time when you really need him. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
    I'm not sure how having him guaranteed to be rusty for his next opportunity merits protecting from the possibility from a stretch of 3+ consecutive save opportunities. (to say nothing of the likelihood that at least of those save opportunities is less than a truly high leverage situation)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Follow up:

If this was planned by the Reds, why not disable him and bring up an arm?
    Disabled is for injuries, not respites.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

5. Likes:

Donder (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not sure how having him guaranteed to be rusty for his next opportunity merits protecting from the possibility from a stretch of 3+ consecutive save opportunities. (to say nothing of the likelihood that at least of those save opportunities is less than a truly high leverage situation)
    I'm ok with the rest being a bigger benefit than the potential cost of a "rusty" outing.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Why in the world would you pitch your closer in a non-save situation? That is lunacy. Don't you know that their arms are only equipped to pitch in baseball games when their team is winning by 1-3 runs in the last half of the final inning of a game?
    Why in the world would you post this response...this is lunacy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Disabled is for injuries, not respites.
    Follow up: "tired arm"

Follow up: "tired arm"
    The DL stash is also a little hard to use for unplanned rest, which I think is more at play here, with the rest being a side benefit of not using him.

Another aside from me is that I'm not sure I want Chapman taking a mental hit from getting shelled in a "getting work in" outing that I see happen occasionally to closers.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The DL stash is also a little hard to use for unplanned rest, which I think is more at play here, with the rest being a side benefit of not using him.

Another aside from me is that I'm not sure I want Chapman taking a mental hit from getting shelled in a "getting work in" outing that I see happen occasionally to closers.

Follow up: will it hurt his mental game to get shelled after not being used for a week and a half?

Follow up: will it hurt his mental game to get shelled after not being used for a week and a half?
    Moral of the story: There is no right decision here. The only wrong one will be what the Reds decide to do. Dubious cause/effect relationships to follow.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Pitchers throw bullpen sessions for a reason. This is one of them. I can't imagine the coaching staff is ignorant of the situation. I'm sure they've had him throw some side sessions to keep sharp. We may not see it, but the team DOES practice.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-04-2013),Old NDN (09-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Pitchers throw bullpen sessions for a reason. This is one of them. I can't imagine the coaching staff is ignorant of the situation. I'm sure they've had him throw some side sessions to keep sharp. We may not see it, but the team DOES practice.
    Follow up:

Throwing in the pen is fine, but doesn't really get the juices flowing.

Follow up follow up;

No one answered how long us too long not to throw during game action. Would everyone be ok with 15? 20?

Didn't look rusty to me.

16. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (09-04-2013),Big Klu (09-10-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-04-2013),mth123 (09-03-2013),powersackers (09-04-2013),reds1869 (09-03-2013),RedsManRick (09-03-2013),redsmetz (09-04-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think "Rusty" is his new nick name.....

18. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-03-2013)

If that was rusty I'll take it every time. Chapman looked like he wanted to throw the ball through a brick wall out there. Professionals or not, those guys in the box are scared.

20. Likes:

powersackers (09-04-2013)

I think he was rusty. I expect him to strike out 4 batters per inning.

22. Likes:

powersackers (09-04-2013),The Operator (09-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?