Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Votto is not the issue. (Buster Olney Explains)

Re: Votto is not the issue. (Buster Olney Explains)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Huh?
    irony...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Votto has the highest line drive % during any full season of his career (31%, compared to his career avg. of 26%) but with a BABIP that while on the surface looks insane (.363), is actually right in line with his career BABIP (.360).

So is it possible Joey's actually been slightly hit unlucky?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Are "disappointing" and "great" the only type of seasons players can have? Is there no in-between? It's not Joey's best season perhaps, but "disappointing" seems a bit strong of a word as well. Is he really a disappointment if he's not fully great?

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-03-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-03-2013),Tom Servo (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It would be unfair to say the Reds need to go on a roll and they need Cozart and Frazier to step up.
    I just...what? It's unfair to expect Cozart and Frazier not to be out machines?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just...what? It's unfair to expect Cozart and Frazier not to be out machines?
    Maybe not Frazier, but honestly yeah, I think that might be asking a little too much of Cozart.

Haunted by walks

What does it say that for all of Votto's disciplined, studied approach to hitting, he strikes out more than Phillips? Yet gets on base at a record pace. It probably says more about strikeouts and grounding out to the right side of the infield. Still, it's not entirely about a Ted Williams-like eye working a walk. Often he works a strikeout.

9. Likes:

remdog (09-03-2013)

Votto's raw numbers for this season are probably the worst since his rookie year. On the other hand, the hitting environment in the big leagues has changed dramatically since 2009. I think it's safe to say Votto is having an excellent season but not a Crazy Old Testament God/Bonds-style mashfest like 2010 and 2012.

I do think Votto getting scorching hot is the one thing that could haul this club out of the Wild Card game. If he keeps plugging away the Reds probably drop into that one-and-done scenario, if he goes completely nuts I could see them making it very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

When a team needs a boost you look to your best player to turn it up. Votto is hands down the teams best player. It would be unfair to say the Reds need to go on a roll and they need Cozart and Frazier to step up. If the Reds want to win the Central they need Votto to return to the MVP caliber level. At the current pace this teams looks destined to be the 2nd wild card team. Which sure beats being the 3rd wild card team, but it isn't as good as we fans expected at the start of the season. By no means is this Votto's fault, but if he can kick it up a gear and carry the team they have a chance to win the Central.
    The Reds find themselves needing Votto to go into "beast mode" NOT because of his current .928 OPS, but because the team's offense is dragged down by so many weak performances.

Yes, if the Reds need one player to dominate, Votto is the man. The question though is why starting players at three positions are at or below .703 OPS and why it becomes Votto's responsibility to carry the offense.

I guess it's just hard for me to see criticisms of Votto when his OPS is 225 points higher than the third baseman, 256 points higher than the better hitting catcher, and 266 points higher than the shortstop.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-03-2013 at 04:29 PM.

12. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-03-2013)

To me it is all about scoring runs, You do that by getting on base. In fact the only way you can score a run is by safely touching 1st.

The Reds have a chance that 3 guys will score 100 runs, Phillips could get to 95 and Zack Cozart has an outside chance for almost 90.

I'll take that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Joey is 13th in the NL in Slugging.
    Joey Votto is 12th in Strikeouts by a batter. Many of them in run-scoring situations.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Joey Votto is 12th in Strikeouts by a batter. Many of them in run-scoring situations.

Rem
    And if I cared about Joey striking out that might mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    And if I cared about Joey striking out that might mean something.
    And if I cared about what you think, that might mean something.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    28 of his 120 strikeouts are with RISP. 23 of Miguel Cabrera's 84 strikeouts are with RISP. So Miggy K's at a higher rate than Votto with RISP.

But really, I know I shouldn't even bother with the numbers. People believe what they want, regardless of fact.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Cursh14 (09-03-2013)

Girl Fight!
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

20. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-03-2013)

28 of his 120 strikeouts are with RISP. 23 of Miguel Cabrera's 84 strikeouts are with RISP. So Miggy K's at a higher rate than Votto with RISP.

But really, I know I shouldn't even bother with the numbers. People believe what they want, regardless of fact.
    I am not certain how you reached the conclusion that you did by using those numbers, but that is not correct. Votto strikes out at a higher rate than Cabrera with runners in scoring position. And that is for both considering and not considering intentional walks.

Code:
    Player	PA/RISP	IBB	K	K%TOT	K%TOT-IBB
    Votto	163	14	28	17.2%	18.8%
    Cabrera	173	17	23	13.3%	14.7%

Turn Off Ads?