Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Cardinals at Reds 9/3/2013

Re: Cardinals at Reds 9/3/2013

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Temps in the upper 70's, playoff run, great lineups, pitching.

Or stay in home and sit on the couch.

What's the point?

Evidently that must be the Reds fan motto.
    First, I didn't mean to comment on the relative appeal of the two choices. I'm just stating the reality of the situation. And it isn't unique to Reds fans. Last night Cleveland drew less than 10k vs the Orioles. Oakland had about 16k for a game against the Rangers. Games with real playoff implications.

Television is king. For all sports. People are behaving in accordance. That shouldn't come as a surprise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    First, I didn't mean to comment on the relative appeal of the two choices. I'm just stating the reality of the situation. And it isn't unique to Reds fans. Last night Cleveland drew less than 10k vs the Orioles. Oakland had about 16k for a game against the Rangers. Games with real playoff implications.

Television is king. For all sports. People are behaving in accordance. That shouldn't come as a surprise.
    I get that, but Cleveland isn't my worry and well, I am well aware of Oakland and their dump of a park in the middle of the hood.

My belly aching (and yes I'm belaboring the point) is the past 10 or so years folks have been saying, Reds fans will show up when playoff baseball does.

Well it has.

What's the point of spending money, especially on a Tuesday night, when nearly anyone who wants can watch in full high-definition?
    Seriously?

Not only what westofyou said in response, but participating in the actual experience. Anticipating what might be, and then being rewarded with the greatest game of the entire 2013 season up to this point.

Going last night became an unforgettable experience for 20,000 people. It was a forgettable couple of hours for those who watched on television.

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-04-2013)

I get that, but Cleveland isn't my worry and well, I am well aware of Oakland and their dump of a park in the middle of the hood.

My belly aching (and yes I'm belaboring the point) is the past 10 or so years folks have been saying, Reds fans will show up when playoff baseball does.

Well it has.
    To your last point:

1) I think that's happening, albeit through eyes on television instead of butts in seats.

(One of several sources citing the strong FSN ratings in Cincinnati)

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._Increases.php

2) Given the economic realities in the game, I think this consumer shift is just fine by Reds management. At this point, a sold out stadium is merely a cherry on top. Which I'm confident will continue to be the case for Opening Day and any home playoff games. Besides that, I think in-park attendance is much ado about nothing.

Perhaps now that Billy is up with the big league club the team will spring for some braces during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Seriously?

Not only what westofyou said in response, but participating in the actual experience. Anticipating what might be, and then being rewarded with the greatest game of the entire 2013 season up to this point.

Going last night became an unforgettable experience for 20,000 people. It was a forgettable couple of hours for those who watched on television.
    That's, like, your opinion, man.

One I happen to agree with by and large. But evidently not shared by 42k people in and around Cincinnati.

To your last point:

1) I think that's happening, albeit through eyes on television instead of butts in seats.

(One of several sources citing the strong FSN ratings in Cincinnati)

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art..._Increases.php

2) Given the economic realities in the game, I think this consumer shift is just fine by Reds management. At this point, a sold out stadium is merely a cherry on top. Which I'm confident will continue to be the case for Opening Day and any home playoff games. Besides that, I think in-park attendance is much ado about nothing.
    $1 Hot Dogs on Thursday. Expect the place to be rockin'.

Well it has.
    Maybe it's just me, but with a little less than 1.5 million within 30 miles of Cincinnati, I think over 1% of those people going to see a baseball game on a Tuesday night is a decent feat.

Down here, Atlanta is roughly twice the size of Cincinnati in population of a 30-mile radius and drew the same 21,000 people that Cincinnati did.

If Playoff-contending (read: bound) Atlanta and Oakland, as well as Cleveland drew equally 'bad' or worse attendance with larger metro areas to draw from, perhaps the 20,000-figure is simply an arbitrary line that people need to re-imagine for a school night in September.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-04-2013),KittyDuran (09-04-2013)

Braves fans have always stayed away too, carpet bagger town is most likely to blame, that and the brutal commute from north of the city downtown.

Braves fans have always stayed away too, carpet bagger town is most likely to blame, that and the brutal commute from north of the city downtown.
    Well, in fairness, I think that a large part of Atlanta's problem is that it's such a transient city and so many people reside there who didn't grow up in the area that there isn't a lot of local affinity for the sports teams.

Nonetheless, I disagree with the commute. Thing is, having lived in Marietta and making said commute, going southbound in the evening is actually an easy drive on 75, 85 and 400, especially after 6 PM. If you're going to a baseball game from Cobb or Gwinnett counties on a Tuesday night, the drive is usually a breeze to downtown. Going northbound from downtown at rush hour is the killer.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    $1 Hot Dogs on Thursday. Expect the place to be rockin'.
    Cheap meat - the carrot on the stick for the tri-state

15. Likes:

MillerTime58 (09-04-2013)

I understand anyone who has to drive hours, but Hamilton County has a population of 800K, Claremont 200K, Warren 212K and then Northern KY has over 300K, add in a pennant race and I'm shaking my head at 20 K on Tuesday no matter what the excuse is.
    * Clermont

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    * Clermont
    Yeah, been there a million times, sorry for the mistake

Yeah, been there a million times, sorry for the mistake
    No biggee! Lol

At first I thought it was some area in Indiana or something but the population told me otherwise.

"So Fla Red"

WOY - Where's the love for Butler County and Northern Ky?

This is a series between 2nd and 3rd place teams. The extra WC has taken the Playoff chase out of the picture. It is just a matter of slotting positions at this point.

Interested to see how the Dodger series draws this weekend.

30K on a weeknight in April/Sept requires a large Season ticket base or a bobblehead giveaway.

Turn Off Ads?