Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayn Perry(CBSSports.com): NL MVP Watch

Dayn Perry(CBSSports.com): NL MVP Watch

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...flies-his-flag

Dark horse(s)

Matt Carpenter, Cardinals
    It indeed seems that Molina will win the votes of those inclined to support a Cardinal, but if Molina plays irregularly over the final month of the season and the Cards wind up winning the NL Central, then Carpenter could gain some traction. It would be justified, as he's played good defense in his first season as a second baseman, and he's batting .312/.381/.473 (136 OPS+) while leading the NL in hits and doubles.

Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
    Like Miguel Cabrera last year, Choo figures to earn some points for his willingness to shift to a more premium position (center field, in his case). With the bat, his 2013 is going swimmingly: .285/.415/.466 with 19 homers from the leadoff spot and 253 times on base, which is good for second in the NL.

Joey Votto, Reds
    There's some misguided criticism toward Votto regarding his RBI total, but a strong September in tandem with a Reds division title could put him in the mix. He leads the NL with a .430 OBP, and his OPS+ of 152 ranks fifth in the league.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Dayn Perry(CBSSports.com): NL MVP Watch

Tell Marty

4. Likes:

The Operator (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Tell Marty
    Dayn Perry clearly hasn't seen as many baseball games as Marty.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

What am I missing here? Why the Marty references? It seems like a good article to me. Regarding the MVP race, Choo and Votto are definitely dark horses. One of them, or both, might explode in September, but that's the only way they'll seriously get into the MVP race.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

7. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    What am I missing here? Why the Marty references?
    Not many games have gone by where Marty hasn't lamented the fact that Votto isn't Miguel Cabrera and leading the world in everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Not many games have gone by where Marty hasn't lamented the fact that Votto isn't Miguel Cabrera and leading the world in everything.
    I get that, but regarding the linked article, I don't get the Marty stuff. Choo and Votto are nothing more than dark horse MVP candidates, unless they're on fire the rest of the season. Isn't that what the article implies?
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

10. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    What am I missing here? Why the Marty references? It seems like a good article to me. Regarding the MVP race, Choo and Votto are definitely dark horses. One of them, or both, might explode in September, but that's the only way they'll seriously get into the MVP race.
    They both are already serious MVP candidates.
    Code:

Name             wRC+
    Joey Votto       155
    Andrew McCutchen 153
    Paul Goldschmidt 152
    Shin-Soo Choo    148
    Matt Carpenter   141
    Yadier Molina    137
    Carlos Gomez     129

Turn Off Ads?