Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn done?

Re: Dunn done?

It's probably more of a "shot" at management to prove to him and the fanbase that they can compete in the AL Central in 2014.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Likes:

mth123 (09-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I am not having fun at work either. I don't really want to hear about a baseball player complaining about not having enough fun and getting 15 million.
    To be fair, he probably doesn't want to hear you're not having fun at work either.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-04-2013), Larkin Fan (09-04-2013), Revering4Blue (09-04-2013), Tom Servo (09-04-2013), vaticanplum (09-04-2013)

If he was on my team and gives an honest day's work, and tries his best, it doesn't matter if he has fun or not.

I am just saying why bring it up?
    Someone probably asked him about it.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-04-2013)

If he was on my team and gives an honest day's work, and tries his best, it doesn't matter if he has fun or not.

I am just saying why bring it up?
    If you had enough money to retire and you didn't like your job, I would seriously question your sanity if you continued to work at said job.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldnít do it." - Brad Kullman

9. Likes:

Always Red (09-04-2013)

You'd think Dunn would be used to playing for losing teams by now. He's got to "up there" in lists of playing in losing games all time

It would be great if he said he no longer enjoys playing baseball, and has seriously considered retirement, but will instead play out his contract, donate every cent he makes to charity and then petition for businesses and the White Sox to make contributions based on the stats he puts up.

Even I would have to root for the Donk if he did something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    To be fair, he probably doesn't want to hear you're not having fun at work either.
    I'm sure you are right. Lol

Who doesn't have fun playing baseball? I can see where you don't want to embarrass yourself with subpar play, or you're so beat up, the pain isn't worth it, but if I'm healthy and a team wants me to play baseball for them, I'll always want to play... For free.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone probably asked him about it.
    Maybe, it just seems odd when he has a year left on his contract and he's been playing really good.

Oh well, I hope he starts enjoying himself and gets to 600 HR's. Always liked the Big Donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Who doesn't have fun playing baseball? I can see where you don't want to embarrass yourself with subpar play, or you're so beat up, the pain isn't worth it, but if I'm healthy and a team wants me to play baseball for them, I'll always want to play... For free.
    You say that now, but traveling 6 months out of the year, every year, away from your family and friends may change your mind.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You say that now, but traveling 6 months out of the year, every year, away from your family and friends may change your mind.
    That's true. Plus you can't just not play any time you want. If you play for Cleveland, for example, you can't just not stop playing for them one day and go home to Detroit and play for them. It was fun when we were kids - and adults - because it was a game and it was something that was recreation. A break from school or work or the drudgeries of every day life. With pro ball players, that is their every day life. Go to the park at 4:00 and not leave till perhaps midnight or later. You have people asking you dumb questions before and after every game. You have fans in opposing parks call you everything but a child of God - and sometimes fans in your own park. People may act like your friends but you don't know if it's genuine or they like you because of your fame and fortune.

Don't get me wrong, there are a tremendous amount of percs to being a pro - and especially a MLB - player. And there are a whole lot of professions that are worse than that but it's not all fun and games.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

17. Likes:

redhawkfish (09-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's true. Plus you can't just not play any time you want. If you play for Cleveland, for example, you can't just not stop playing for them one day and go home to Detroit and play for them. It was fun when we were kids - and adults - because it was a game and it was something that was recreation. A break from school or work or the drudgeries of every day life. With pro ball players, that is their every day life. Go to the park at 4:00 and not leave till perhaps midnight or later. You have people asking you dumb questions before and after every game. You have fans in opposing parks call you everything but a child of God - and sometimes fans in your own park. People may act like your friends but you don't know if it's genuine or they like you because of your fame and fortune.

Don't get me wrong, there are a tremendous amount of percs to being a pro - and especially a MLB - player. And there are a whole lot of professions that are worse than that but it's not all fun and games.
    Ah but Dunn has a nice recliner to relax in during break time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If you had enough money to retire and you didn't like your job, I would seriously question your sanity if you continued to work at said job.
    If I was Dunn and was sick of baseball, I think I would bite the bullet and play one more year for 15 million. (I think he has one year left on his deal)

Dunn has to know that next year is his last big payday.

In all honesty, someone probably asked Dunn if he was thinking about retiring, so he pulled out that cliche.
    No chance at all of Dunn retiring (if he's healthy) .. I think there's a better chance of the Reds going 162-0 next year
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Baseball is a hard drug, you almost never see a guy put it down before it's taken away.

I don't imagine Dave Kingman had much fun at the end either. Dunn's OBP is a little better, but that's exactly who he comps to at this stage of his career.

Turn Off Ads?