Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn done?

Re: Dunn done?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's true. Plus you can't just not play any time you want. If you play for Cleveland, for example, you can't just not stop playing for them one day and go home to Detroit and play for them. It was fun when we were kids - and adults - because it was a game and it was something that was recreation. A break from school or work or the drudgeries of every day life. With pro ball players, that is their every day life. Go to the park at 4:00 and not leave till perhaps midnight or later. You have people asking you dumb questions before and after every game. You have fans in opposing parks call you everything but a child of God - and sometimes fans in your own park. People may act like your friends but you don't know if it's genuine or they like you because of your fame and fortune.

Don't get me wrong, there are a tremendous amount of percs to being a pro - and especially a MLB - player. And there are a whole lot of professions that are worse than that but it's not all fun and games.
    All excellent points from everyone.

I just think it does say something about his feeling toward the game. Most players play until no one wants them anymore, they can't quit the game, they have to be forced off the stage. Very few hold the attitude year to year that they might quit, even if a team wants them to play.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I don't imagine Dave Kingman had much fun at the end either. Dunn's OBP is a little better, but that's exactly who he comps to at this stage of his career.
    Any chance Dunn becomes the "go-to" reference regarding all or nothing sluggers, rather than Kingman?

That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

4. Likes:

Crumbley (09-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I don't imagine Dave Kingman had much fun at the end either. Dunn's OBP is a little better, but that's exactly who he comps to at this stage of his career.
    Little?...I guess here of late in his career yes.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    All excellent points from everyone.

I just think it does say something about his feeling toward the game. Most players play until no one wants them anymore, they can't quit the game, they have to be forced off the stage. Very few hold the attitude year to year that they might quit, even if a team wants them to play.
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd imagine that he doesn't have the same perspective as most players do. Few have put up with the constant angst he gets from the media and the fans. He's been the posterboy for a decade for mashers who strikeout and play porous defense. Warranted or not. That sort of thing would HAVE to grate on his nerves and make him NOT look forward to going to the park some days.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I've always seen Dunn as one of those guys to screw the limelight of 500 or 600 HR (or HR Derby) and just say heck with it. I don't think he will, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

I think Dunn is a lot smarter than many people think and I think the "lazy" comments are pretty unfair for a guy that played everyday much of his career, especially with the Reds.

I started one of these threads back when he was hitting about .163 towards the end of May.....then he went on a pretty good tear. Hopefully he does again.

I think Dunn cares about his performance a lot more than people think and an unfathomably bad year like 2011 probably made Chicaco not a fun place to be anymore for him, especially when he's being paid more now than during his best years with the Reds and Nationals.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

this was the latest on mlbtraderumors:

Adam Dunn readily admits that he's frustrated with the White Sox's 2013 season, but at the moment, he doesn't anticipate retiring this winter, writes Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com. ďI think we went down this road before: the day that I quit having fun and quit enjoying making a struggle to come to the ballpark or not enjoying the competition out there is the day I will go home, whether it be tomorrow, whether it be ten years from now," Dunn said. "Iím still enjoying the competition. Itís just tough losing when you have such high expectations.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Uh, if dude is willing to give up money on the table because he isn't having fun isn't that better than just sticking around for the money?
    If dude has been having fun playing for losing teams for 13 years, what does he consider 'not' fun?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    If dude has been having fun playing for losing teams for 13 years, what does he consider 'not' fun?
    Only played in two winning seasons - 2008 when he was traded to AZ and last year's White Sox.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

My guess is if he does decide to retire early it will likely be due to his kid having health problems.

I suggest that the thread title be renamed "Stick a fork in him?"

We don't have enough bad puns around here. We need more puns with 16 inning losses happening like this.

Not having fun? What is he, five?

He stands in a batter's box and hits a ball, pretty well. Hell, he doesn't even have to play defense. All he has to do is keep playing ball, and collect $15 million.

Sure am glad I'm on easy street, and don't have to put up with those hardships.

I really don't get the backlash.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

16. Likes:

mth123 (09-05-2013), Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I really don't get the backlash.
    Most people who work for a living find it odd that a DH is upset about playing a game that we pay to watch, while he's making a fortune and complaining about it.

How selfish and conceited can a person be? I like Dunn, but "If I'm not having fun?"... Gimme a break Adam, you sure look like you're having fun out there.

Why do so many people think the job of being a professional baseball player is easy? Money? The money can make your life outside of baseball easier but it doesn't change the fact that it's a job and it can be great and it can suck at different times just like most other jobs.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Turn Off Ads?