Turn Off Ads?
Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283848586 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1284

Thread: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

  1. #1231
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,011

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Trying to bunt Hamilton over after PR him was my head scratcher of a moment.

  2. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (09-05-2013), WVRedsFan (09-05-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #1232
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't think you know what a suicide squeeze is. It looked possibly like it could be a safety squeeze. But in no way was it a suicide squeeze. On that play the runner breaks straight for home, damn the consequences.

    Heck, it has been reported Dusty just said it was Heisey bunting for a hit.
    Choo "broke for home, damn the consequences". By your own definition it was a suicide squeeze. Don't flatter yourself. We all know what a suicide squeeze is around here...

  5. #1233
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,513

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Trying to bunt Hamilton over after PR him was my head scratcher of a moment.
    I didn't like it, but it is the "book" move with a normal runner.

    One thing, Mujica is Cuetoeque in terms of stopping the running game. Mujica and Molina might be the best combo in the league at it. That might have something to do with it.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  6. #1234
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,834

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Parra wasn't at the game because his wife was giving birth to their child. Congrats to him, luckily Duke got a huge out for us when we needed it.

  7. #1235
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Parra wasn't at the game because his wife was giving birth to their child.
    Good one, Dusty.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  8. #1236
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,011

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Choo "broke for home, damn the consequences". By your own definition it was a suicide squeeze. Don't flatter yourself. We all know what a suicide squeeze is around here...
    If that is the case, round up some others who believe it was a suicide squeeze at this point (bear in mind Dusty said Heisey was bunting for a hit) and get back to me. Seriously.

    I'm not trying to be "that guy", but there was a lot of "suicide squeeze" talk, and I tried to put the brakes on that, and most have realized it was not now. But you are digging in on this one, and I am glad to engage.


  9. Likes:

    Tom Servo (09-05-2013), TSJ55 (09-05-2013), villain612 (09-05-2013)

  10. #1237
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    No way that was a suicide squeeze. While not the only reason, Choo's run from 3rd was more opportunistic and reactive than full turbo thrusters. That said, I'd give 10% of the blame to Choo since his aggressiveness, while admirable, wasn't sensible given it was Heisey batting. So, 10% Choo, 90% Heisey.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  11. #1238
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,350

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Choo reacted to Heisey squaring and he assumed (incorrectly) that Heisey had a clue and would lay it down. If he layed it down it would be for a hit (since there were two out and all) and of course Choo would try to score just like any other batted ball in that situation. Hiesey whiffed and put Choo is a bad spot. Bad all the way around.

    Not a squeeze. Not close. Can that term even be used with 2 outs anyway?

  12. #1239
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If that is the case, round up some others who believe it was a suicide squeeze at this point (bear in mind Dusty said Heisey was bunting for a hit) and get back to me. Seriously.

    I'm not trying to be "that guy", but there was a lot of "suicide squeeze" talk, and I tried to put the brakes on that, and most have realized it was not now. But you are digging in on this one, and I am glad to engage.
    I live in the real world and it reality, Choo's move towards homeplate was "suicidal". It may not have been a called suicide squeeze from the bench but Choo made it into one by breaking for home

  13. #1240
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    No way that was a suicide squeeze. While not the only reason, Choo's run from 3rd was more opportunistic and reactive than full turbo thrusters. That said, I'd give 10% of the blame to Choo since his aggressiveness, while admirable, wasn't sensible given it was Heisey batting. So, 10% Choo, 90% Heisey.
    I disagree with you. I'd flip it. 90% on Choo. Just because the hitter does something stupid is no reason for the hitter to compound the stupidity

  14. #1241
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,141

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree with you. I'd flip it. 90% on Choo. Just because the hitter does something stupid is no reason for the hitter to compound the stupidity
    And, God knows we couldn't blame Heisey. You know, the .233 hitting, .700 OPS "slugger" who was 0-6 tonight who decided to bunt with two out in a game that lasted forever. The love for Heisey around here borders on sickening.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  15. #1242
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree with you. I'd flip it. 90% on Choo. Just because the hitter does something stupid is no reason for the hitter to compound the stupidity
    Think you mean "runner" where you wrote "hitter" the 2nd time? Heisey has to be able to lay down a bunt and, in that situation, shouldn't have been bunting anyway. Choo saw Heisey square and bet (wrongly) he'd put the ball in the play. Not a terrible bet but, in hindsight, obviously not the right one. MLB.com has the play as Choo caught stealing home. That's funny stuff if you watch the replay.

    Tomorrow is, in fact, another day. We are still in very good shape. But we really need to take care of business and this series with a win tomorrow behind Tony.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  16. #1243
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,011

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Execution.

    If Heisey gets the bunt down and beats it out he's a hero for seeing the 3B playing back.

  17. Likes:

    Ironman92 (09-05-2013), Rantly (09-05-2013), texasdave (09-05-2013), TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

  18. #1244
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,688

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Execution.

    If Heisey gets the bunt down and beats it out he's a hero for seeing the 3B playing back.
    Right. The bunt idea wasn't crazy. Heisey is fast. Element of surprise. Chris isn't a high average hitter, chances of a base hit weren't great.

    But the execution was just not good. Heisey doesn't make contact and Choo is caught off base. How could it go worse?

  19. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (09-05-2013), texasdave (09-05-2013)

  20. #1245
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    814

    Re: Red Birds at Reds 9/4/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree with you. I'd flip it. 90% on Choo. Just because the hitter does something stupid is no reason for the hitter to compound the stupidity
    You are simply wrong.
    The point here is that Heisey not only made an attempt to bunt the pitch with 2 outs but also swung at it in a bunt attempt.
    100% on Heisey.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25