Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN futures rankings

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN futures rankings

I'm not an insider so I can't comment. Where do the Reds rank?

Insider - I know this is sensitive material but can you please at least show the rankings Cinci received?

Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 1h
    ESPN Insider: Set for sustained success next 5 years: 1. Cards, 6. Cubs, 7. Pirates, 17. Reds

Bowden, Onley and Keith Law rank Cincy's future as being 17th out of 30 teams. They give us 21, 12, 12, 13 and 12 points out of 30. Categories being Majors/Minors/Finance/Management/Mobility. They highlight long term contracts and future free agents as a problem. Also mentioin Bham and Yorman.
    Last edited by powersackers; 09-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

21st in majors? that doesn't really make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    21st in majors? that doesn't really make sense.
    No, that's 9th. 21 points.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Bowden, Onley and Keith Law rank Cincy's future as being 17th out of 30 teams. They rate us 21, 12, 12, 13 and 12 out of 30. Categories being Majors/Minors/Finance/Management/Mobility. They highlight long term contracts and future free agents as a problem. Also mentioin Bham and Yorman.
    (Chortle)

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-05-2013),757690 (09-04-2013),CarolinaRedleg (09-04-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-04-2013),LexRedsFan (09-04-2013),mdccclxix (09-04-2013),Norm Chortleton (09-04-2013),RichRed (09-04-2013),Tom Servo (09-04-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-04-2013)

Looks like all that is holding the Reds back form a higher ranking is the first category -- Majors -- where they are at #21. Otherwise all of these are 12 or 13. Can anyone comment on why they justify such a low ranking? Is it because of the relatively large financial commitments that the club has to a few players? I can't imagine it would be due to overall talent, which seems pretty comparable with the elite of the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    No, that's 9th. 21 points.
    Oh, okay. I completely misunderstood what those numbers meant.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Looks like all that is holding the Reds back form a higher ranking is the first category -- Majors -- where they are at #21. Otherwise all of these are 12 or 13. Can anyone comment on why they justify such a low ranking? Is it because of the relatively large financial commitments that the club has to a few players? I can't imagine it would be due to overall talent, which seems pretty comparable with the elite of the NL.
    See above. 21 pts out of 30, means ranked 9th today out of 30.

14. Likes:

RedEye (09-04-2013)

Is this the same Cubs' team that thought it was a good idea to lock up Starlin Castro to a big contract? I'm just not seeing it.

Oh, no doubt Theo will have the organization improved; and the cupboard is a lot less bare than it was when he arrived. That said, I simply don't see the love for that organization. It's still got a ton of holes now and in the immediate future.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-04-2013)

The problems they express for the Reds are sort of within their control and vision still, so I think they were harsher than they should have been. When you look at the premise of a 5 year outlook, it is a quite pointless exercise because the draft will always continue to factor in as well as FA, injuries, trades and other things like FO turnover.

Who were the bottom 5 teams?
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Who were the bottom 5 teams?
    I'd guess the Angels are down there.

Turn Off Ads?