Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN futures rankings

Re: ESPN futures rankings

Just goes to show you the ESPN big market bias. I still think that baseball analysts are the least bias among the major sports covered on ESPN, but it is still evident.

How can our majors rank be 9th? We have a relatively young team of core guys going into the prime of their careers. Not to mention this team is very competitive in an injury plagued and underperforming year. Finally, this is essentially the same team who had the second best record in MLB last year. We have possibly the best rotation in all MLB, best right side of the INF, top 5 RF, and one of the smartest C in Hanigan.

While our minors are a little bare at the top, we have plenty of budding stars coming through the system who will likely be some part of picture in 5 years. Hamilton, Stephenson, Soto, Travieso, Corcino (if he puts it together), Winker, Irvin, Lorenzen, SMB, Yorman, and Barnhart all look to be solid contributors of the future. Again, our minors are replenishing quickly with budding stars, just not the depth most people would like. Still, I think a 12 out of 30 is low considering the star power up and coming.

Finance rating of 12 out of 30 seems pretty fair, maybe slightly low for me too. I think being maxed out is tough, but it is not like we are throwing stupid money away. Yes the Phillips, Votto, Arroyo, and Chapman contracts could have been handled differently, but they are all performing relatively well. Sometimes not so much, but still they are all having nice seasons. We are not like some teams like the White Sox who still owe Dunn $15 M and the Yankees who owe so much money to so many aging, hurting, and likely suspended players. Other teams like the Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers, Angels, and Rangers all have money in dumb places.

Management rating of 13 out of 30 seems fair too. I know a lot of gripes against Dusty and Walt for countless reasons, but one thing has stayed pretty consistent since 2009 and 2010 and that the Reds are actually fielding a very competitive team every year (2011 was full of injuries). I think this number could go up this off season if we figure a way to keep Choo and possibly sign Arroyo cheap (I know he likes the $, but I think he likes the city just a bit more).

Mobility rating of 12 out of 30. Not sure what to think here as the category title is a bit vague. Does this mean speed on the team or the ease to travel? Not sure.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Just goes to show you the ESPN big market bias. I still think that baseball analysts are the least bias among the major sports covered on ESPN, but it is still evident.
    How can you say this is due to big market bias? You may disagree with their rankings, but that's hardly the only variable here.

This means absolutely nothing. A couple of drafts and a couple of trades for prospects and Walt will have the minors reloaded.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    This means absolutely nothing. A couple of drafts and a couple of trades for prospects and Walt will have the minors reloaded.
    I wouldn't say it is worth nothing. It's not like they are saying theirs is the final word. These are the opinions of three guys with more experience in ML front offices than any (or almost any) of us have ever had. That doesn't mean they are right, but I still think it is interesting to know what they think about these things.

And yes, of course, this doesn't account for what Walt (or any other general manager) might do later. That's because the premise of the article is that they are assessing the prospects of the talent and resources that teams have right now.
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Who were the bottom 5 teams?
    Bottom 5:

26 - LA Angels
    27 - Colorado Rockies
    28 - Miami Marlins
    29 - Chicago White Sox
    30 - Milwaukee Brewers

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

21st?

With a possibility of a rotation including Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Cingrani, Stephenson, Leake, etc.?

Typical ESPN garbage.

I would put us at 16, right in the middle of the pack. I say that because we are in the middle of a possible sustained playoff run for the next 5 years. It's hard to predict who will play in those spots once some of the core contracts end. Our rotation is shaping up nicely but who's in the field are big questions right now, even though theres plenty of time to address that in 5 years so this is kind of dumb.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    21st?

With a possibility of a rotation including Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Cingrani, Stephenson, Leake, etc.?

Typical ESPN garbage.
    The odds of Latos, Bailey, Leake and Cueto all being in the rotation after 2015is low. I'd be thrilled if they can get two of the four signed LT past 2015 (as long as one is Latos).

What's mobility?

I get lower ranking for the minors and market. IMO, the Reds are top 5 in terms of majors at the moment. They're six deep in the rotation with a stud closer, an annual MVP threat and quality position players.

Yet where they're really getting knocked is in management. Walt Jocketty has a stellar track record. Much as people like to use Dusty as a punching bag, he's got an impressive managerial record. And Price is widely considered one of the best pitching coaches in the game.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

11. Likes:

New Fever (09-05-2013), REDREAD (09-05-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What's mobility?

I get lower ranking for the minors and market. IMO, the Reds are top 5 in terms of majors at the moment. They're six deep in the rotation with a stud closer, an annual MVP threat and quality position players.

Yet where they're really getting knocked is in management. Walt Jocketty has a stellar track record. Much as people like to use Dusty as a punching bag, he's got an impressive managerial record. And Price is widely considered one of the best pitching coaches in the game.
    Cell phones. Maybe the Reds are still using Nokia flip phones and BlackBerrys instead of iPhones and Android?

13. Likes:

M2 (09-04-2013), RedEye (09-05-2013)

[QUOTE=RedEye;2956921... These are the opinions of three guys with more experience in ML front offices than any (or almost any) of us have ever had. .[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that Leatherpants downgraded the Reds because of their lack of five tool players in the system.
    Win the Division

If you want a good breakdown of our farm system, here it is..

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103137
    Last edited by bellhead; 09-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    21st?

Typical ESPN garbage.
    As was pointed out to me earlier, it isn't 21st out of 30. It's 21 out of a possible 30 points. That's actually their best grade if I understand correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    As was pointed out to me earlier, it isn't 21st out of 30. It's 21 out of a possible 30 points. That's actually their best grade if I understand correctly.
    The next 5 years should be pretty good for the Reds mainly because for the first time in my life we have will have 4 hard throwing studs out there every 5 days.

1.) Latos
    2.) Cueto
    3.) Ciangrani
    4.) Stephens
    5.) Leake for the next 3 at least....

Stephenson, Traveiso, Cingrani. And we lock up one of Homer or Latos up long term...and after the Votto/Phillips deals, and a new TV contract coming, I wouldn't be surprised if it's both. Leake shouldn't be too expensive to keep around, and even if he is, there's two drafts between now and then where we could possibly grab another stud starter.

And as long as we have a good rotation, we'll be able to compete.

Turn Off Ads?