Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Watches

Smart Watches

Anybody see the release of the Samsung Smart Watch? I for one will not be buying one of these, nor the Apple version. Why do i need a watch to tell me my phone is wringing. When i look soooo much cooler with my bluetooth earpiece!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Smart Watches

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Not seeing the point, small screen that needs another device to work properly, just go with the other device.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Does anyone under 40 wear a watch?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-05-2013),reds44 (09-05-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I certainly do!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Not seeing the point, small screen that needs another device to work properly, just go with the other device.
    I'm inclined to agree, but I also dismissed the iPad out of hand, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My wife is 34 and wears one. I just use my phone as a modern day pocket watch.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

I wear a watch, mainly because I like to send the subconscious your boring me vibe to people.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

12. Likes:

mole44 (09-05-2013),reds44 (09-05-2013),Rojo (10-23-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    My wife is 34 and wears one. I just use my phone as a modern day pocket watch.
    I'm more likely to wear an actual pocket watch with a suit than a wristwatch.

I just get the sense that the overwhelming majority of people are like you -- why wear a watch when you can check the time on your phone whenever the need arises.

I can see more women wearing watches because they frequently carry their phones in their purses (v. a pocket, where you always have it), but these smart watches are big, bulky and not at all the kinds of things I'd expect would appeal to the female demographic.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm under 40 and I almost always wear a watch, feel naked w/o one. I don't think a watch is as much about knowing the time (its been quite a while since time wasn't readidly available to you all over the place, from inside your car, clocks at home, radio, television guides, computers, etc...) but as much as an accessory.

A watch has some advantages over a phone, 1) they generally last longer, 2) they don't "go out of style" as quickly, some never go out of style. My $400 watch will still look good and be just as functional as it was day 1 5 year from now. My $400 cell phone will be beaten to hell and back and obsolete. 3) They strap to your hand and stay with you; there are many places where carrying a phone around is either cumbersome, or puts you at risk for losing it. 4) you don't have to charge your watch on a regular basis. 5) You can take many watches in to water, few cell phones work well after a day of swiming)
    6) sure there is the subtle gesture of checking your watch to let someone else know that you need to get moving along, its always been my reflection that checking your phone is much, much ruder. Why I don't know, probably b/c it takes more time/is more of a distraction. If you don't want to be rude, you can often catch a glimpse of your watch w/o the other person watching it in a split second, much harder to do on a phone, so while in a meeting, its obvious you're checking on your phone, but you may only be scratching your wrist or adjusting your sleeve. 7) if you forget to "turn off" your watch, nobody can make your watch alarm. If you forget to turn off your phone, you're at risk of having somebody call or texts, sending out a loud/obtrusive sound in some cases at time you may rather wish that didn't happen (like a wedding, movie, church, meeting, etc...) 8) some watches, well maintained and protected can go up in value over time (not that I'd recommend investing in watches to fund your retirement), a chell phone left in a box untouched for 5 years is worth crap.

Perhaps I'm not as "glued" to my phone as the average under 40 year old, certainly less than the average 18 year old, but this is fact, even if my battery dies on my watch (and it uses some form of solar power the help it keep move, I'm not even sure if the battery will ever need to be replaced or not) its still right twice a day. If my battery dies on my cell phone, its worthless.

Now there are many, many advantages to phones, they easily offer you more solutions and a much, much larger variety of use. A watch should be meant to keep track of time, nothing more nothing less. Sure added features on dive watches or "excersize" watches are an added bonus, but those added features still serve the same function, telling you time. Keep is sleek, simple and elequant, and a watch will never go out of style. A "smart" watch is probaly too much, especially considering how much a phone can do these days. There are probably some advantages to having a watch that does more than just telling time, but realistically its not the best device for that. Again, keep it sleek, simple and elequant.
    Last edited by medford; 09-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm under 40 and I almost always wear a watch, feel naked w/o one. I don't think a watch is as much about knowing the time (its been quite a while since time wasn't readidly available to you all over the place, from inside your car, clocks at home, radio, television guides, computers, etc...) but as much as an accessory.

A watch has some advantages over a phone, 1) they generally last longer, 2) they don't "go out of style" as quickly, some never go out of style. My $400 watch will still look good and be just as functional as it was day 1 5 year from now. My $400 cell phone will be beaten to hell and back and obsolete. 3) They strap to your hand and stay with you; there are many places where carrying a phone around is either cumbersome, or puts you at risk for losing it. 4) you don't have to charge your watch on a regular basis. 5) You can take many watches in to water, few cell phones work well after a day of swiming)

Perhaps I'm not as "glued" to my phone as the average under 40 year old, certainly less than the average 18 year old, but this is fact, even if my battery dies on my watch (and it uses some form of solar power the help it keep move, I'm not even sure if the battery will ever need to be replaced or not) its still right twice a day. If my battery dies on my cell phone, its worthless.

Now there are many, many advantages to phones, they easily offer you more solutions and a much, much larger variety of use. A watch should be meant to keep track of time, nothing more nothing less. Sure added features on dive watches or "excersize" watches are an added bonus, but those added features still serve the same function, telling you time. Keep is sleek, simple and elequant, and a watch will never go out of style.
    I don't think I'm ready for you to speak of death so non-chalantly. If your phone dies? Like that's not a big deal. If my phone were to pass through to the other side I would absolutely punch a school girl in the face and take her charger.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

16. Likes:

reds44 (09-05-2013)

It doesn't stand alone to replace an Iphone?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I wear a face watch because it can be used as a compass and because a second hand is easier to take a pulse with in case the need arises due to a serious medical emergency. But my own survivalist fringe needs aside, I wear a watch because its easier than pulling out my phone to know the time or date.

Now, if the smart phone could also be used as an AED...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post

Now, if the smart phone could also be used as an AED...
    Well, you may have fooled me for a second with the first part of your post, but this part really left me knowing that you weren't this guy:

20. Likes:

medford (09-06-2013)

Not even close, although I did have the haircut back in the day.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?