Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart Watches

Re: Smart Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I certainly do!
    Me too....36.

I like it for teaching for quickly referencing time while I'm lecturing. Can't trust the classroom clock.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have the Pebble....had a gift card to Best buy and it was an impulse buy......I actually like it....it does have its uses and it does has its need to be tossed in the trash....its nice when I am working and my phone is in my pocket and I can just look at my watch to see a text.....that is about the only good use I can find for the pebble....I would actually sell it to someone for $100 if they wanted to try it out......its all black and its fairly small on my wrists....I will probably buy apples iwatch when it comes out just because I tend to be the guy who cannot work anything that has to do with technology yet I have every new tech toy that comes out then I sell it a few weeks later after I play with it....but I too feel naked without a watch and I use a regualar face watch so it doubles as a compass just as posted earlier.....the iwatch is supposed to have a compass on it and the pebble has several different faces you can use as the face so it can be digital or a ragular watch.....pretty neat stuff considering just a few year ago I refused to even have a cell phone....now I went all geek guy on everyone....

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm under 40 and I almost always wear a watch, feel naked w/o one. I don't think a watch is as much about knowing the time (its been quite a while since time wasn't readidly available to you all over the place, from inside your car, clocks at home, radio, television guides, computers, etc...) but as much as an accessory.

A watch has some advantages over a phone, 1) they generally last longer, 2) they don't "go out of style" as quickly, some never go out of style. My $400 watch will still look good and be just as functional as it was day 1 5 year from now. My $400 cell phone will be beaten to hell and back and obsolete. 3) They strap to your hand and stay with you; there are many places where carrying a phone around is either cumbersome, or puts you at risk for losing it. 4) you don't have to charge your watch on a regular basis. 5) You can take many watches in to water, few cell phones work well after a day of swiming)
    6) sure there is the subtle gesture of checking your watch to let someone else know that you need to get moving along, its always been my reflection that checking your phone is much, much ruder. Why I don't know, probably b/c it takes more time/is more of a distraction. If you don't want to be rude, you can often catch a glimpse of your watch w/o the other person watching it in a split second, much harder to do on a phone, so while in a meeting, its obvious you're checking on your phone, but you may only be scratching your wrist or adjusting your sleeve. 7) if you forget to "turn off" your watch, nobody can make your watch alarm. If you forget to turn off your phone, you're at risk of having somebody call or texts, sending out a loud/obtrusive sound in some cases at time you may rather wish that didn't happen (like a wedding, movie, church, meeting, etc...) 8) some watches, well maintained and protected can go up in value over time (not that I'd recommend investing in watches to fund your retirement), a chell phone left in a box untouched for 5 years is worth crap.

Perhaps I'm not as "glued" to my phone as the average under 40 year old, certainly less than the average 18 year old, but this is fact, even if my battery dies on my watch (and it uses some form of solar power the help it keep move, I'm not even sure if the battery will ever need to be replaced or not) its still right twice a day. If my battery dies on my cell phone, its worthless.

Now there are many, many advantages to phones, they easily offer you more solutions and a much, much larger variety of use. A watch should be meant to keep track of time, nothing more nothing less. Sure added features on dive watches or "excersize" watches are an added bonus, but those added features still serve the same function, telling you time. Keep is sleek, simple and elequant, and a watch will never go out of style. A "smart" watch is probaly too much, especially considering how much a phone can do these days. There are probably some advantages to having a watch that does more than just telling time, but realistically its not the best device for that. Again, keep it sleek, simple and elequant.
    I am not huge fan of these smart watches..I don't think these watches are really useful.. Ideal is to get a smartphone

My watch tells me the accurate time of day nearly 100% of the time. That's smart enough for me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by CoryLynch View Post
    I'm under 40 and I almost always wear a watch, feel naked w/o one. I don't think a watch is as much about knowing the time (its been quite a while since time wasn't readidly available to you all over the place, from inside your car, clocks at home, radio, television guides, computers, etc...) but as much as an accessory.

A watch has some advantages over a phone, 1) they generally last longer, 2) they don't "go out of style" as quickly, some never go out of style. My $400 watch will still look good and be just as functional as it was day 1 5 year from now. My $400 cell phone will be beaten to hell and back and obsolete. 3) They strap to your hand and stay with you; there are many places where carrying a phone around is either cumbersome, or puts you at risk for losing it. 4) you don't have to charge your watch on a regular basis. 5) You can take many watches in to water, few cell phones work well after a day of swiming)
    6) sure there is the subtle gesture of checking your watch to let someone else know that you need to get moving along, its always been my reflection that checking your phone is much, much ruder. Why I don't know, probably b/c it takes more time/is more of a distraction. If you don't want to be rude, you can often catch a glimpse of your watch w/o the other person watching it in a split second, much harder to do on a phone, so while in a meeting, its obvious you're checking on your phone, but you may only be scratching your wrist or adjusting your sleeve. 7) if you forget to "turn off" your watch, nobody can make your watch alarm. If you forget to turn off your phone, you're at risk of having somebody call or texts, sending out a loud/obtrusive sound in some cases at time you may rather wish that didn't happen (like a wedding, movie, church, meeting, etc...) 8) some watches, well maintained and protected can go up in value over time (not that I'd recommend investing in watches to fund your retirement), a chell phone left in a box untouched for 5 years is worth crap.

Perhaps I'm not as "glued" to my phone as the average under 40 year old, certainly less than the average 18 year old, but this is fact, even if my battery dies on my watch (and it uses some form of solar panels the help it keep move, I'm not even sure if the battery will ever need to be replaced or not) its still right twice a day. If my battery dies on my cell phone, its worthless.

Now there are many, many advantages to phones, they easily offer you more solutions and a much, much larger variety of use. A watch should be meant to keep track of time, nothing more nothing less. Sure added features on dive watches or "excersize" watches are an added bonus, but those added features still serve the same function, telling you time. Keep is sleek, simple and elequant, and a watch will never go out of style. A "smart" watch is probaly too much, especially considering how much a phone can do these days. There are probably some advantages to having a watch that does more than just telling time, but realistically its not the best device for that. Again, keep it sleek, simple and elequant.

I am not huge fan of these smart watches..I don't think these watches are really useful.. Ideal is to get a smartphone
    We need smart people not not smart watches..

Turn Off Ads?