Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Worth The Wait

Re: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He needs a slumpbuster.
    You volunteering?

2. Likes:

RadfordVA (09-05-2013), The Operator (09-05-2013), Unassisted (09-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning is fun.

Within the last week there have been three times that the opposition has gone right at Joey (and struck him out) with a base open and then proceeded to walk Jay immediately after. Each time it was probably the right baseball move (get the first out, then walk the next guy to set up a DP), but there's no way teams would have done that before this year.

That said, I can't see them giving him tonight off against the Cards. Maybe against anyone else (save the Pirates), but not against one of the teams you are chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    That said, I can't see them giving him tonight off against the Cards. Maybe against anyone else (save the Pirates), but not against one of the teams you are chasing.
    If he let Dusty give him tonight off I would have to re-think my opinion of him to be honest.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

There's nothing to worry about Votto. Every player goes through a slump, even a great one.
    And this is actually his first slump this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    maybe a fancier coffee?
    Quite the opposite: a cup of Maxwell House. Don't you know what a slump buster is?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

8. Likes:

The Operator (09-05-2013), TOBTTReds (09-05-2013)

Baker's MO is to start struggling guys to show them he has faith in them. I wouldn't bet on a day off

10. Likes:

remdog (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Soto for a night is acceptable. Do it Baker/Joey
    At this point of the year 3rd in the central sitting Votto is absolutely unacceptable. Votto needs to be a leader and get out of this slump on the field. I understand it is a small sample size but 0-7 in a monstrous game with pitchers challenging him because they no longer respect his power? Horrifying.

12. Likes:

TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It bothers me that Votto needs days off because he looks lost at the plate. Elite players are not supposed to want days off, miguel Cabrera is currently playing injured because he does not want to miss too many games (even though they have already sealed the division). Honestly at this point in the season Votto should not sit out games, this is the time for him to put the team on his back, not hide in the corner.
    Get your facts straight, Miggy hasn't been playing thru injury! Missed the last few games.

At this point of the year 3rd in the central sitting Votto is absolutely unacceptable. Votto needs to be a leader and get out of this slump on the field. I understand it is a small sample size but 0-7 in a monstrous game with pitchers challenging him because they no longer respect his power? Horrifying.
    You haven't a clue do you young grasshopper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Get your facts straight, Miggy hasn't been playing thru injury! Missed the last few games.
    No, I have the facts straight - after 3 games off he came back and is currently playing injured. It's called being a leader.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-05-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    You haven't a clue do you young grasshopper!!!
    No concern whatsoever that pitchers are challenging Votto with fastballs right now and he is failing miserably?

How's the kool-aid?

No, I have the facts straight - after 3 games off he came back and is currently playing injured. It's called being a leader.
    So...because JV may or may not need a day off he isn't a leader? Come on buddy, thats awefully black and white!!!

No concern whatsoever that pitchers are challenging Votto with fastballs right now and he is failing miserably?

How's the kool-aid?
    No, I'm not concerned, he's Joey friggin Votto. 2010 NL MVP!!! What's your credentials?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is an untruth.
    You're right, it IS untrue....but the rest of his point is spot on. Joey Votto is not playing LIKE Joey Votto. A rest is just what the doctor ordered. And for those who want to say he can't sit against the Cardinals because the game is too important, I argue that EVERY game is important at this time of year. The sooner he gets a breather, the better.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-to-the-rescue

Player to watch: Joey Votto is coming off an 0-for-7 effort in the Reds' 16-inning loss to the Cardinals and is hitting just .245 since the beginning of August. He's still drawing his walks (.404 OBP in that span), but as the superstar hitter in the middle of the lineup, a few more hits to go with the walks would be nice.

21. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-05-2013), remdog (09-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?