Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Hey, the good news is that the Reds have played winning ball despite his slump. Maybe he can carry them when they need him to the most. Or is the problem that we don't win every game?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Likes:

westofyou (09-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    So...because JV may or may not need a day off he isn't a leader? Come on buddy, thats awefully black and white!!!
    Not saying he isn't a leader, but sitting (or allowing a manager to sit you) against your biggest rival in a pennant race with 20 games left in the season is not something a leader would do in my opinion. Time to man-up.

5. Likes:

DocRed (09-05-2013), mth123 (09-05-2013)

I think he needs a day off, but I doubt his problem right now is that he's out of gas. He's been taking or fouling off a lot of pitches that the old Joey Votto used to hit in a gap pretty much all season long. I dunno what it is, I just hope it's not the knee still bothering him.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not saying he isn't a leader, but sitting (or allowing a manager to sit you) against your biggest rival in a pennant race with 20 games left in the season is not something a leader would do in my opinion. Time to man-up.
    So when WOULD a good time be? 30 games left? 40? 60? Never?

If it's physical and mental exhaustion (VERY likely) then prolonging it will only make it worse.

And btw...2nd most PA's by any player in the bigs this year. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

If it's physical and mental exhaustion (VERY likely) then prolonging it will only make it worse.
    My first post in this thread, I said they can't sit him against LA but I'll take that back. I've got no problem with that on second thought.

I stand by him HAVING to play tonight though.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How do you prevent the manager from giving someone the day off. If Dusty doesn't write Votto's name in the lineup should he run out to first base anyway?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    My first post in this thread, I said they can't sit him against LA but I'll take that back. I've got no problem with that on second thought.

I stand by him HAVING to play tonight though.
    So if we win tonight but lose the LA game...what's the difference?

And btw...2nd most PA's by any player in the bigs this year. Just sayin'.
    A good time to sit Votto would be against a bad team, preferably in August that the Reds would have a good chance to beat without Votto in the lineup. Not against the team you are attempting to catch in the standings.

This is a head to head game against a division rival
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

13. Likes:

texasdave (09-05-2013), TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    How do you prevent the manager from giving someone the day off. If Dusty doesn't write Votto's name in the lineup should he run out to first base anyway?
    How many times has Dusty been chastised around here for being too much of a "players manager"? If he told JV he was going to sit him and JV responded in no uncertain terms that he IS playing, do you really think Dusty would pull rank?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Um, because StL is the team directly in front of them in the standings they are trying to catch?

What Raisor said.

I am guessing Dusty "player's manager" Baker would say "Joe, what do you think about sitting tonight?" and Votto would/should respond "I am OK with sitting, but not tonight - I need to be out there for the team."

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    How many times has Dusty been chastised around here for being too much of a "players manager"? If he told JV he was going to sit him and JV responded in no uncertain terms that he IS playing, do you really think Dusty would pull rank?
    Players don't always agree what's best for them. It's Dusty's job to manage that

19. Likes:

mole44 (09-05-2013), remdog (09-05-2013)

This is a head to head game against a division rival
    I realize that, but my point is the end result could easily be the same. Not to mention the fact that if Joey is going to play like he currently is....will him playing tonight help us or hurt us?

Let me put it this way, I'd rather he sit one game and be fresh and playing well for the next 20 or so, than to have him play all the games as a shell of himself.

Ideally, yes he would've gotten a break earlier (like a couple days off last month) but that ship has sailed. Every game from here on in is incredibly important. But at what point do you simply say enough is enough, he needs a breather.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Turn Off Ads?