Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Re: Joey Votto needs to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Players don't always agree what's best for them. It's Dusty's job to manage that
    I understand that. But, you didn't answer my question. Do you think Dusty would stand his ground and tell JV that he's the manager, he knows what's best and to go have a seat in the clubhouse with his turf shoes on?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am just not a strong supporter of 1 24 hour period off making a difference. I think it is one of the most overused cliches in baseball.
    I can tell you from experience that it most certainly can. Especially mentally.

4. Likes:

DocRed (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I understand that. But, you didn't answer my question. Do you think Dusty would stand his ground and tell JV that he's the manager, he knows what's best and to go have a seat in the clubhouse with his turf shoes on?
    Yes. He's done it before.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I do. But then again, I don't think Joey would argue with him. I think he'd voice his opinion that he feels he can play, but if Dusty thinks he needs a break...he'll get one.

Who knows, we might all be completely off base and he could be ill with the flu or something. There's so much that goes on day-to-day that we're never privy to.

7. Likes:

TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Yes. He's done it before.
    Fair enough. I don't think Dusty or Joey have any interest in Joey sitting tonight. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I do. But then again, I don't think Joey would argue with him. I think he'd voice his opinion that he feels he can play, but if Dusty thinks he needs a break...he'll get one.
    Ok. I just doubt Joey would go down w/o a fight. I don't hang out with Joey much [read: ever] so I don't know though.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Who knows, we might all be completely off base and he could be ill with the flu or something. There's so much that goes on day-to-day that we're never privy to.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is an untruth.
    I think that's a partial truth. Every player gets paid to help his team win games. He is paid both to get on base and not make outs as well as be clutch and drive in runs. Both are forms of production. Both help win games and being the best player on the team he should be doing both. Yes I know RBI are a highly situational stat, but RBI in the context of individual games and as a team are important because they are runs. They count total runs to determine the winner not total obp. There are situations where yes not making an out is highly important, but there are others where you just need to get a run in regardless if you make an out or not. The ideal being not to make an out and score.

11. Likes:

remdog (09-05-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-05-2013)

Hate to sit him against the cardinals in must win games, but was at the game last night and he looked clueless and I believe probably his first 0-7 in his career. I don't think he even got on base once. I was so tired at the end I'm not sure, little fuzzy. ha. Anyways, he had terrible swings and really and truly cost us game in the first inning with a Strike out with 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Nothing productive. Not sure I take him out, but would consider. Especially next to an off day and give him 2 days off. He can always come in and pinch hit, but I think for him it's mental. He needs some mental days off.

13. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (09-05-2013)

I am just not a strong supporter of 1 24 hour period off making a difference.
    If he sits in the last game vs. the Cubs next week, he'll get 2 days off in a row. He should definitely get that break. Question is, is he so worn out now that he should sit sooner too (for example, vs. Kershaw). Agree that it's tough to sit him vs. the Cards.

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (09-05-2013)

Am I the only one frightened of the aspect the Reds may have to bench the best player on the team during the most important stretch of the season because he appears completely lost at the plate?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If he's hurt, then he sits and recovers.

If he's tired or unfocused, then he borrows the bulldog pants from Latos and Homer, and gets out there and plays. This is the most important time of the year, they're playing their most bitter rival, and he's been the best hitter on the team. It's not a time to play a hunch and go with Hannahan or some other guess at 1B.

Joey might not be paid to drive in runs, but he is paid to play and give it his best shot, when the chips are down, unless he's injured.

He might be tired, but he looks more to me like he's overthinking everything he does right now. He just needs to use his muscle memory and turn off those inhibitory synapses!
    sorry we're boring

18. Likes:

mth123 (09-05-2013),RedEye (09-05-2013),RedTeamGo! (09-05-2013),Roy Tucker (09-05-2013),TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

A tired Votto is still better than most any other player on the team. If he sits, it definitely should not be against the Cards or Bucs.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

20. Likes:

Always Red (09-05-2013),Old school 1983 (09-05-2013),Roy Tucker (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    A tired Votto is still better than most any other player on the team. If he sits, it definitely should not be against the Cards or Bucs.
    True, if this team goes down, it does so with Joey at 1B, and not on the bench.
    sorry we're boring

22. Likes:

RedEye (09-05-2013),TSJ55 (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Am I the only one frightened of the aspect the Reds may have to bench the best player on the team during the most important stretch of the season because he appears completely lost at the plate?
    I wouldn't call it completely lost.

Tentative, shot through with self doubt, over-thinking.

but yeah, it's not the Joey we've seen most of the year.

Hopefully he and Jacoby are watching some vid, this afternoon, of him hammering NL pitching during the first half of 2012, when it looked as if he was going to obliterate the all time double record.
    sorry we're boring

24. Likes:

RedEye (09-05-2013),Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

If we can move past the chest pounding for a moment, can anyone give a reasonable analysis of WHY Votto is struggling? I am sure he is somewhat tired, but is there something in his swing that isn't right? Have pitchers found something to exploit with him?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?