Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buster Olney: A Bunt addiction burns The Reds

Re: Buster Olney: A Bunt addiction burns The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Because it's a strategy that works about as well as not bunting?
    The chances of a double play at this level are too big a risk to chance having the winning run erased.

Getting him into scoring position means he'll likely score on a base hit or advance to third with an opportunity to score on an error/passed ball/wild pitch or some other crazy play. The odds of just scoring at least one run increase with a runner at second and one out than they do leaving the runner at first with one out or, especially, having no one on base with two outs. Put it this way: the odds of a double play or an out that does not advance the runner greatly exceed those of a hit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The chances of a double play at this level are too big a risk to chance having the winning run erased.

Getting him into scoring position means he'll likely score on a base hit or advance to third with an opportunity to score on an error/passed ball/wild pitch or some other crazy play. The odds of just scoring at least one run increase with a runner at second and one out than they do leaving the runner at first with one out or, especially, having no one on base with two outs. Put it this way: the odds of a double play or an out that does not advance the runner greatly exceed those of a hit.
    That's not what the stats say though, at least from what I've seen. A runner at first with no outs and a runner at second with one out have almost the exact same odds of scoring, I think. But maybe you are looking at something I haven't seen...

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    That's not what the stats say though, at least from what I've seen. A runner at first with no outs and a runner at second with one out have almost the exact same odds of scoring, I think. But maybe you are looking at something I haven't seen...
    Yes, a runner at first with no outs and a runner at second with one out is almost exactly the same odds. (44% and 42% respectively). That's not the point, though.

If you try to hit away you have a >70% of losing at least 15% on your run probability (as a runner at first and one out only has a 26% chance of scoring and no runners on with two outs after a double play bring the odds down to 8%). If you take the sac bunt, you won't gain odds, but you keep them the same and get a runner into scoring position.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree the Reds bunt too much with their position players, but it falls well short of addiction. The bigger sin is the Reds bunt too much for a team that's not particularly adept at bunting.
    But if they don't practice during games, they'll never improve.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

6. Likes:

BRM13 (09-06-2013), M2 (09-05-2013), RedEye (09-05-2013), RedsBaron (09-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?