Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

Re: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

he can take Hanigan with him to NEW YORK

2. Turn Off Ads?

The lack of appreciation for Arroyo is astounding. Amazing. But then, I guess you guys know how easy it is to field a staff of five Mat Latos'.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-11-2013),Revering4Blue (10-11-2013)

yeah no way you don't make a qualifying offer. He is sure to go somewhere else because he porbably wants a change of scenary and more money before he retires because this is probably his last contract go round.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The lack of appreciation for Arroyo is astounding. Amazing. But then, I guess you guys know how easy it is to field a staff of five Mat Latos'.
    It's not that I don't appreciate what he has done in Cincinnati, BUT it's a business and it isn't a smart move to sign a 36 year old pitcher to a big contract when you have young guys ready to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    It's not that I don't appreciate what he has done in Cincinnati, BUT it's a business and it isn't a smart move to sign a 36 year old pitcher to a big contract when you have young guys ready to step up.
    I agree with this - it's the knocking him for his last start that I get a bit ticked about. I am, if you read my posts, a proponent of making the qualifying offer, letting him walk (hoping he refuses the offer which I believe he will), taking the draft pick. That, as you said, is smart management, but it doesn't mean I won't miss seeing him on the mound - or dread him facing us because he's the kind of pitcher who gives the Reds hitters fits. The flip side, or dumb move, imo, would be NOT to make a qualifying offer, letting him walk with no compensation. I'd rather risk paying him another year as a bridge to Stephenson. If he accepts, remember, its just a year. Which is exactly why I think he'll decline.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-11-2013),Revering4Blue (10-11-2013)

Qualifying offer should be $14 Mil'ish this year. Even if he took it, it would be 3 mil cheaper than his current year salary, and just about on par with the average Salary of his 2 year $28Mil contract.

Wouldn't be an awful move to make the qualifying offer. Same for Choo.

Walk..and I dont even have to think twice about it

If that is the qualifying offer, I really don't believe he will get a better deal than 2 years 28. He is 36 years of age, a 500 pitcher, and probably only a 3rd starter in the NL and 4th in the AL. A bad team trying to get good is not going to sign him, it is not so cheap a bad or average team would get him for a body to pitch and a hope for a good year (aaron Haran) so it would have to be a pretty good team in desparate need for a dependable starter and they believe in him. If those terms are offered I think he will be a red next year. Who is going to pay him more to be a 500 pitcher at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Qualifying offer should be $14 Mil'ish this year. Even if he took it, it would be 3 mil cheaper than his current year salary, and just about on par with the average Salary of his 2 year $28Mil contract.

Wouldn't be an awful move to make the qualifying offer. Same for Choo.
    Making Choo a qualifying offer is a no-brainer IMO. He would turn it down and the Reds would get a first-round compensatory pick. Have to do it.

Arroyo is a tougher call. The market might be tough for him if a team has to give up a pick in order to land him, so he might end up taking the Reds up on the 1-year offer, which I don't really think the Reds want. I think the Reds envision a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake and Cingrani in 2014. There just doesn't seem to be room for Arroyo, especially an expensive one at the age of 37.

I have no use for him.

Bye.

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Seat5 View Post
    I have no use for him.

Bye.
    Classy.

I've liked bronson for a long time...but its time to go. His last game of the season is representative of an aging pitcher who doesn't have a put away pitch, no heat and once a team "learns him" they are patient and "hit him"

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-04-2013)

he must go asap

Quote Originally Posted by onetimeposter View Post
    If that is the qualifying offer, I really don't believe he will get a better deal than 2 years 28. He is 36 years of age, a 500 pitcher, and probably only a 3rd starter in the NL and 4th in the AL. A bad team trying to get good is not going to sign him, it is not so cheap a bad or average team would get him for a body to pitch and a hope for a good year (aaron Haran) so it would have to be a pretty good team in desparate need for a dependable starter and they believe in him. If those terms are offered I think he will be a red next year. Who is going to pay him more to be a 500 pitcher at his age.
    You are underestimating Arroyo's value on the free market.
    Arroyo will get a nice 3 year deal (likely more than the Reds will be willing to pay).. I could see somewhere between 33-40 million for 3 years.
    He's a perfect fit for several clubs with money, and about as low health risk as you are going to get for someone over 32...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

20. Likes:

RedlegJake (10-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    You are underestimating Arroyo's value on the free market.

Arroyo will get a nice 3 year deal (likely more than the Reds will be willing to pay).. I could see somewhere between 33-40 million for 3 years.
    He's a perfect fit for several clubs with money, and about as low health risk as you are going to get for someone over 32...
    Good enough for better than a qualifying offer? Keep in mind the team that signs him loses a first or second round draft pick (If the Reds make a qualifying offer).

That is what sunk Kyle Lohse... a good 2nd-middle rotation guy that didn't get signed until Spring Training this year. He got a longer contract than the qualifying offer, but that whole compensatory pick / lose first round pick trimmed the yearly value of the contract, and he wasn't even picked up by a competitive team.

Edwin Jackson, who didn't get a qualifying offer, got a much better deal from the Cubs plus a fat signing bonus.

Turn Off Ads?