Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

Do you think the Reds should re-sign Bronson Arroyo, a free agent to be this offseason, or let him walk? I could see them letting him walk due to his age and Cingrani and Stephenson coming up, but I could also see them resigning him since Cueto's health has been questionable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

I think I make him the qualifying offer and if he takes it I don't have an issue with him being back and if he doesn't cingrani takes his spot and the reds collect the pick.

How u doin

So long Bronson thank` for playing in Cincinnati.

You have to make the qualifying offer. Simply letting him walk without the offer and getting nothing is plainly silly. He will get more than a single year offer from other teams and will almost certainly turn down the Reds qualifying offer and gets them a draft pick. If he surprises and accepts it - it is a one year deal so no big deal. It gives another year to ease Cingrani in and bring Stephenson, Rogers, Lorenzen and Corcino along. Simply saying so long Bronson is short sighted and shows no understanding of the free agent process, the draft or just how valuable a pitcher Arroyo is.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-05-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-01-2013),Stingray (09-11-2013)

"So Fla Red"

I don't think the Reds can afford the qualifying offer at $13M for next season for Bronson. Payroll sits near $110M and even without Choo the arb bumps to Latos, Bailey, Leake and the Chapman contract nuances will eat up any payflex.

Assuming Cueto is healthy and Bailey isn't dealt due to not inking a LTC, Bronson is a 13M a year sixth starter luxury the Reds just can't afford next season.

8. Likes:

Old NDN (09-17-2013)

I'd let him walk. Arroyo does eat innings and is a capable pitcher but his money can be spent better elsewhere. It'd cost at least 10 million/year to resign him and that money can be better spent elsewhere on an IF upgrade at SS/3B or for a LTC for Latos or Bailey. If you don't resign him next year you still have a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani with Reynolds (who the Reds give a low cost major league contract)/Rogers/Stephenson waiting in the wings.

He is looking for a multi year deal. A qualifying offer is not likely to be accepted and the dearth of decent pitching - he is almost certain to get a two or three year offer. Make the qualifying offer. You don't want to walk away without any compensation. I think that would be a HUGE mistake for a small market type club. The Reds need that pick. The risk he accepts the offer is low. I'd say extremely low since he has to accept or reject their offer well before the prime free agent signing season is over with.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 09-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-06-2013),Pacman Fever (09-12-2013),REDREAD (09-12-2013),Stingray (09-11-2013)

I agree, you give him a qualifying offer. I don't believe he'll accept it but, if he does, I'd put him on the market and see if there is a way you can trade him and replace Choo.

I'd much, much rather have Choo than Arroyo.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

I agree with most of you. Make a qualifying offer for an one year deal, due to his age, that he won´t accept. Get the pick and let him walk. I will have a tear in my eye though cause i really liked his relaxed attitude. And that is one thing, aside from his still not so shabby number, which will be really missed in the clubhouse especially by the young pitching staff.

14. Likes:

Stingray (09-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I'd let him walk. Arroyo does eat innings and is a capable pitcher but his money can be spent better elsewhere. It'd cost at least 10 million/year to resign him and that money can be better spent elsewhere on an IF upgrade at SS/3B or for a LTC for Latos or Bailey. If you don't resign him next year you still have a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani with Reynolds (who the Reds give a low cost major league contract)/Rogers/Stephenson waiting in the wings.
    I like Bronson a lot, but after what Cingrani has done this year, how can he not be at minimum the number four starter next year. He pitches like a two almost every time out. Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani, and Leake could be a real strong rotation next year.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

16. Likes:

indy_dave00 (09-07-2013),Old school 1983 (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I don't think the Reds can afford the qualifying offer at $13M for next season for Bronson. Payroll sits near $110M and even without Choo the arb bumps to Latos, Bailey, Leake and the Chapman contract nuances will eat up any payflex.

Assuming Cueto is healthy and Bailey isn't dealt due to not inking a LTC, Bronson is a 13M a year sixth starter luxury the Reds just can't afford next season.
    I agree that the move is risky. I think you make the offer, but if he accepts the Reds will be forced to deal Bailey or Chapman and maybe another $2 to $3 Million or so player to make it fit (Hanigan? Heisey? Lecure?).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I feel he will end up back in Boston.. just a gut feeling.. But I feel the Reds will make the Qualifying offer

At one time, Bronson was the Reds' #1 and commanded his 12 million dollar contract, which the Reds paid. Now, it's way too much to spend on a #4,5 or 6 pitcher......which is what he will be in 2014. I just don't see too many teams willing to ante up a multi year contract for those numbers at his age. He's been good for the Reds but time to move on......unless he's willing to take less, which I doubt.

Every year, year after year 200 innings, 12-14 wins, era around 4, no missed starts, and the type of delivery and stuff that should last for another 2-3 years. You don't think anyone will be interested? I think you are wrong about that.

21. Likes:

maestrohound (09-21-2013),REDREAD (09-12-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

He'll always be one of my favorites, but unless he's willing to strike a deal that's way under market value, they're probably at the point where they should let him go. With Cueto back from injury and Cingrani doing well and a couple more young prospects showing high potential, they can't afford to have big money tied up in him moving forward IMO.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

23. Likes:

Old NDN (09-08-2013),remdog (09-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?