Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

Re: Arroyo: Re-sign or let walk in the offseason?

the guy does not have it anymore and he sure is not worth paying 14 million dollars to. he gave everything he had to the reds but it is time to move on. Cingrani is ready to take that spot and if can't for some reason then give one of the other young starters in the minors a chance. again the guy was good and gave it all he had but he does not have it anymore. when he gets hit it is hard and often and the problem with that is now you never know when it will happen. it used to be he would at least give you 5 good innings before he imploded but this season you never knew when it was going to happen until it did and by the time the relief pitcher was ready to come in it was a lost cause. the reds will be stuck with that offer because nobody else will pay him that much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Bronson Arroyo Says He Has Yet To Receive An Offer

By Jeff Todd [January 29 at 3:55pm CST]

In spite of interest from twelve clubs, free agent starter Bronson Arroyo says that he has yet to receive an actual hard offer from a club, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. "I am a guy who's performed for the last 10 years as consistently as anybody in the game," said Arroyo. "And for some reason, nobody's thrown me an offer yet."

Approaching his age-37 season, Arroyo is represented by Terry Bross. He has posted an earned run average of less than four runs per nine innings in four of his last five seasons, and has made at least 32 starts in every season since 2005. Last year, in 202 innings, Arroyo posted a 3.79 ERA and 5.5 K/9 against 1.5 BB/9.

The pitcher's statements are somewhat surprising in light of the widespread interest he has reportedly received. The veteran's name has been amongst the most-mentioned on MLBTR, in large part due to his outstanding record of durability.

Do you make Arroyo a 2 yr offer to be a stop gap after Homer walks? Or to trade Leake for a peice.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Do you make Arroyo a 2 yr offer to be a stop gap after Homer walks? Or to trade Leake for a peice.
    Do you think there is much return in trading Leake?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    I was just about to start a thread about this topic, but saw this thread.

I'm of the opinion we should re-sign Arroyo if he's willing to do something like 2-years for $20 million. It would give us 6 starters going into this season, but the chances of needing 6 starters through a 162-game season is highly likely. Heck, Latos is coming off minor elbow surgery (although reports are he's doing well and is already long-tossing at 120 feet), we don't know about Cueto and Homer is entering the last year of his deal.

As for that final point, signing Arroyo for 2 years would give the Reds two things:

1. Insurance for 2015 if Bailey leaves via free agency as I expect after this season (much like Choo, we'll give him a qualifying offer, he'll decline, he'll sign huge money deal, we'll get draft pick).

2. The ability to trade Bailey or Leake right now to upgrade the offense. I would prefer trading Leake of course, but the Reds are not likely to get a great return for him. He does have value though and perhaps we could get a better bat than I expect for Leake.

Anyway, if Bronson is willing to do it, I don't see the downside for the Reds.

The only way I bring Arroyo back is if you can find a good value trade for Bailey. (An impact OF or 3B bat) Otherwise, the Reds have 6 starters for 5 slots.

And I'm not so sure that would even be such a great idea, because even though it appears that Homer is as good as gone after this year, I think he could be poised for very, very good season.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I was just about to start a thread about this topic, but saw this thread.

I'm of the opinion we should re-sign Arroyo if he's willing to do something like 2-years for $20 million. It would give us 6 starters going into this season, but the chances of needing 6 starters through a 162-game season is highly likely. Heck, Latos is coming off minor elbow surgery (although reports are he's doing well and is already long-tossing at 120 feet), we don't know about Cueto and Homer is entering the last year of his deal.

As for that final point, signing Arroyo for 2 years would give the Reds two things:

1. Insurance for 2015 if Bailey leaves via free agency as I expect after this season (much like Choo, we'll give him a qualifying offer, he'll decline, he'll sign huge money deal, we'll get draft pick).

2. The ability to trade Bailey or Leake right now to upgrade the offense. I would prefer trading Leake of course, but the Reds are not likely to get a great return for him. He does have value though and perhaps we could get a better bat than I expect for Leake.

Anyway, if Bronson is willing to do it, I don't see the downside for the Reds.
    Yeah, but the problem with having 6 starters for 5 slots is who do you send down to wait for the inevitable injury? The only guys with options are Cingrani and maybe Leake, (and I'm not sure Leake even has any left) and I'd rather have Cingrani than Arroyo in the rotation at this point.

Like I said, I think the only way we bring Arroyo back is if we can move one of the existing starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Yeah, but the problem with having 6 starters for 5 slots is who do you send down to wait for the inevitable injury? The only guys with options are Cingrani and maybe Leake, (and I'm not sure Leake even has any left) and I'd rather have Cingrani than Arroyo in the rotation at this point.

Like I said, I think the only way we bring Arroyo back is if we can move one of the existing starters.
    I don't have a problem with having six starting pitchers . While the reds rotation horses have been durable guys, it's not unusual for seasons and even careers to end early.

If Cueto goes down in May, I would certainly rather have arroyo for 20 starts than Jeff Francis or whoever Walt has stashed in Louisville.

On top of that as impressed as I am with Cingrani, he's a one pitch pitcher clearly straddling the line.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post

It's kind of a problem you want to have. "Our starters are ALL staying healthy!" But I do understand what you're saying. If everyone does stay healthy, like during the 2012 regular season, who gets pushed out of the rotation? Cingrani? That probably wouldn't be smart. He could pitch out of the bullpen, but they need to quit jerking him around and just leave him in the rotation for good.

I just bet that we'll need six starters this year -- and we'll need Arroyo next year after we lose Bailey -- so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bronson sign a 2-year deal if he's willing to do it for $20 million total. That said, I strongly doubt it will happen. There will be some MLB team that eventually gobbles Bronson up. Then again, I thought it would have happened by now.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I don't have a problem with having six starting pitchers . While the reds rotation horses have been durable guys, it's not unusual for seasons and even careers to end early.

If Cueto goes down in May, I would certainly rather have arroyo for 20 starts than Jeff Francis or whoever Walt has stashed in Louisville.

On top of that as impressed as I am with Cingrani, he's a one pitch pitcher clearly straddling the line.
    Oh there's no doubt that Arroyo is better than Francis. Arroyo is a solid MLB starter who you pretty much know what you're going to get from him year after year.

But he's also not going to sign cheaply. I'd say at the minimum, he's signing for $8 mil. That's an awfully expensive insurance policy. And if you do sign him, who is he going to replace? Certainly not Cueto, Latos, Bailey, or Leake after the year he just had.

The answer is Cingrani, and I think it would be a waste to put Cingrani in AAA again, where he completely dominates, or to move him in the pen. Cingrani is young, cheap, was successful in his time in the rotation last year, and this team needs a lefty starter. I'd like to have Arroyo back, because I think he's a quality pitcher, but on this team at this time, he really doesn't make sense.

Unless the team trades some starting pitching there is really no need to sign a guy like Arroyo. I don't want to rush Stephenson but the way he's progressing he'll be ready sooner than later and I'd hate to have him blocked by Arroyo and the multi year deal he is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by yadontSabo View Post
    Unless the team trades some starting pitching there is really no need to sign a guy like Arroyo. I don't want to rush Stephenson but the way he's progressing he'll be ready sooner than later and I'd hate to have him blocked by Arroyo and the multi year deal he is looking for.
    You also have Holmberg ready right away. Then later on you could go with Stephenson, and Sharky Rogers might surprise. Finally there is Corcino, if he rights the ship. Frankly, I'd rather use every one of those guys before Francis. Arroyo is only a good option if Bailey would get traded. Even then, the cost of signing him might be better used elsewhere and just going with Holmberg/Rogers until Bob Steve is ready.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

Paying six starting quality major league pitchers is a luxury when the team says it can't afford a better offense.

If the money is there for another MLB starting pitcher, I'd rather see the Reds use it for an outfielder who can bolster the offense.

The Reds have poured a lot of money into Arroyo and I'd hate to see them tie their hands with another contract for him. It's time to promote guys like Holmberg and soon Stephenson if a pitching slot arises.

Sometimes you just have to move on.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-01-2014),RedlegJake (02-01-2014)

Turn Off Ads?