Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo wants multi-year deal to stay with Reds

Arroyo wants multi-year deal to stay with Reds

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

"There's obviously a limit to how long we can play this game, and we're all trying to maximize our opportunities as far as money. If it wasn't for the dollar bill, I know I would be in this uniform until the day I retire, because I know they enjoy what I do around here, and what I bring to the table on and off the field and inside the locker room. But at the end of the day, dollars and cents always weigh a little heavier than anything else in life, usually.
    "If my price tag is a little bit too much or they feel like they don't want to give me more than a one-year deal here, then it's going to be very difficult, because it's probably going to be the last time I have an opportunity to go out and sign a multiyear deal with a ballclub."
    If he's only looking for a 2-3 year deal, I think the Reds need to bring him back. You cannot have too much healthy MLB-level starting pitching. 2-3 years bridges the gap to Stephenson and (potentially) Corcino. If he'd take a 2yr/$20MM deal Id jump on it ASAP.

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo wants multi-year deal to stay with Reds

My immediate reaction upon reading the title was "And I want a million dollars. Doesn't mean anyone will give it to me. "

That said, two things on this one.

1) I personally sign Choo first. If there is money after that, we can talk.
    2) He would need to know that he may be the odd man out and I may ask him to play a different role at some point soon. If everyone is healthy given the way they have pitched this year, my top five is Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, and Cingrini (not necessarily in that order). Arroyo has pitched awesome this year and I love having him on the team, but that is the reality right there. Maybe I sign him and deal someone for another part to open the spot back up. But if nothing changes, he is the odd man out.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I love Bronson Arroyo. He'll always be a Red to me and one day he'll rightfully have a place in the Reds HOF.

But I would not bring him back, unless it's for a year or two and much cheaper than he'd probably want.

Mike Leake is the younger version of Arroyo and he can fill that role. Cingrani has been a huge addition and I expect great things from him. Stephenson is not a done deal and things can happen (injury wise) before he even throws a big league pitch, but he's a future #1 or #2.

Yes, even former 1st round pick Reynolds gives this organization some flexibility as the emergency starter that can come up at any time.

The key to the whole thing is signing at least two of Latos, Bailey, and Cueto long-term. For now, I go with the two workhorses that have proven that they are getting better every year - Latos and Bailey.

5. Likes:

Benihana (09-06-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-06-2013),joshua (09-06-2013),Larkin Fan (09-06-2013),Trajinous (09-06-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I love Bronson Arroyo. He'll always be a Red to me and one day he'll rightfully have a place in the Reds HOF.

But I would not bring him back, unless it's for a year or two and much cheaper than he'd probably want.

Mike Leake is the younger version of Arroyo and he can fill that role. Cingrani has been a huge addition and I expect great things from him. Stephenson is not a done deal and things can happen (injury wise) before he even throws a big league pitch, but he's a future #1 or #2.

Yes, even former 1st round pick Reynolds gives this organization some flexibility as the emergency starter that can come up at any time.

The key to the whole thing is signing at least two of Latos, Bailey, and Cueto long-term. For now, I go with the two workhorses that have proven that they are getting better every year - Latos and Bailey.
    I agree. Latos - Bailey - Cingrani will win a lot of post season games. The offense is needed to get to the post season.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I doubt the Reds offer him a multi year deal. With the stable of starters they have now and with Stephenson on the horizon they will most likely let Arroyo walk. They may do the one year qualifying offer to him but in light of his comments I doubt he takes it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    1) I personally sign Choo first. If there is money after that, we can talk.

9. Likes:

remdog (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I doubt the Reds offer him a multi year deal. With the stable of starters they have now and with Stephenson on the horizon they will most likely let Arroyo walk. They may do the one year qualifying offer to him but in light of his comments I doubt he takes it.
    I think this is the hard fact. Like others, I love what Arroyo brings to the table and bringing him back for one year would be my preference, but I fully understand his desire to sign on more multi-year deal. It also means it's very easy to tender him a qualifying offer and to take the draft pick when he signs elsewhere (the same goes for Choo). The fact is, this club has rarely had this level of starting pitching depth, if ever, and that means Bronson is expendable in the long run.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

11. Likes:

Benihana (09-06-2013),remdog (09-06-2013)

Agree with BR and Mike above.

When I saw this I thought "hopefully that just makes it less likely he'd accept a one year qualifying offer" (which I would definitely offer).

If I'm Walt, I call up Jon Daniels and Ben Cherington on November 1 and offer them Bailey+ for Profar or Bogaerts respectively. If they are not interested, I make Arroyo the qualifying offer and wait for the draft pick. If they are interested in the trade, I may wait and see if Arroyo would settle for something like 2/$18-20 to bridge until Stephenson is ready to be a force.

Bottom line: No way do I give Arroyo a 3 year deal and the only way I really consider a 2 year deal is if they trade Bailey for a young stud SS. Even then, i wouldn't go above 2/$20.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd give him 2/24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'd give him 2/24.
    I'd rather add a bit more and give that deal to Choo (2/30 or 3/40).
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

remdog (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm afraid it's going to take more years than that to sign Choo.

17. Likes:

BlackPete Ibold (09-06-2013),dfs (09-06-2013),joshua (09-06-2013),Number_Fourteen (09-06-2013),REDREAD (09-06-2013),remdog (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

I doubt Choo signs for less than Swisher.(4-50), and he likely will be aiming for BJ Upton's 5-75. I think the players, and Boras saw how the market played out last offseason, and will make adjustments this year. I'm sure the contract Upton got by signing early was on the table for Bourne, but they kept waiting for a bigger deal that never came. Same for Lohse, who's contract is the one Bronson likely has his eyes on at 3-36 or so.

My guess is Choo will get 4-60 or 5-75 if a team wants to make a splash.

19. Likes:

BillDoran (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I doubt Choo signs for less than Swisher.(4-50), and he likely will be aiming for BJ Upton's 5-75. I think the players, and Boras saw how the market played out last offseason, and will make adjustments this year. I'm sure the contract Upton got by signing early was on the table for Bourne, but they kept waiting for a bigger deal that never came. Same for Lohse, who's contract is the one Bronson likely has his eyes on at 3-36 or so.

My guess is Choo will get 4-60 or 5-75 if a team wants to make a splash.
    I think these numbers indicate that the Reds have little risk in offering both players qualifying offers. Neither is likely to accept them and, if they do, it doesn't cripple us. And either (or both) accepting allows for a bridge year for other players coming down the pipeline.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

21. Likes:

BillDoran (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think these numbers indicate that the Reds have little risk in offering both players qualifying offers. Neither is likely to accept them and, if they do, it doesn't cripple us. And either (or both) accepting allows for a bridge year for other players coming down the pipeline.

I agree, the only one I think would be tempted would be Bronson, just based on 1 year at 13-14 million will be very tempting to a pitcher Arroyo's age. Plus I think he knows where his price range really lies.

In the interview, Arroyo made a comment about his age and about how next spring hypothetically he could break a collarbone and it could end his career.
    I think he really wants a multiyear deal over even a one year deal at 14-15 million.
    I think he is concerned about total dollars.

I would give him a 2 year deal without even worrying about it. Cueto's health is a risk. Cueto has slightly changed his windup to try to help his lat injury..
    Bailey is highly likely to test FA soon.
    Thing is, I'm afraid even a 2 year deal might not get it done. There's probably about 5 teams that will offer Bronson a 3 year deal at least 10 million/year. The Giants have a lot of money and are going to have holes in their rotation. Heck, even a rebuilding team might want Bronson around as a mentor/innings eater. Bronson is 36 now, but since he doesn't rely on overpowering people and has never been on the DL, there's a pretty good chance he will pitch well for the next 3 years. As a comparison, Pettite is still pitching good at 41.
    It depends on total dollars, but I would certainly not complain if the Reds signed Bronson for 3 more years. That gives the team a lot of flexibility to trade some pitching for other needs (or to prepare for Bailey's departure via FA).

I think Choo is going to get a 5-6 year contract from someone. Lots of teams looking to add offense/OBP in the outfield. I don't think using "Bronson's money" to resign Choo is realistic. It sure would be great though to have Choo play CF next year and then eventually slide over to LF.. just don't see it happening though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?