Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo wants multi-year deal to stay with Reds

Re: Arroyo wants multi-year deal to stay with Reds

This should be a pretty simple decision. Offer Arroyo arbitration and take the pick when he walks. On his way out thank him for everything he did as a Red and welcome him back with open arms when he is elected into the Reds HOF.

If your going to slot Arroyo in a rotation where are you going? Latos-Bailey-Cueto-Leake-Cingrani? I don't think its fiscally smart to pay Arroyo what he wants to slot 4th or 5th and have a better arm in the minors. If your worried about injuries its promising what a guy like Reynolds has done this season. He by no means is a world beater, but as a 6th starter he has given the Reds a chance to win. Can he play that role next year and free up some $13M a year to go elsewhere?

The Reds are deep in pitching, without Choo weak in OBP, and need an infusion of talent in the minors. Arroyo at 2 years $25M could potentially weaken the organizatoin.

2. Likes:

remdog (09-06-2013),Trajinous (09-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

There is no strategic value in saying, "I really want to stay here, so if the Reds don't offer me what I think my own value is on the market, I'll probably say yes." In sales, you can't start low and go high if you're the seller.

I am intrigued by the notion that it's either Choo or Arroyo. Generally, I rarely value offense over pitching, however, given the strength of their potential rotation next year, it seems to me the Reds might want to take the gamble that BA's effectiveness will not last the length of a 2-3 year deal. On the other hand, he seems like he could pitch like he has this year for another five years. What's more, I don't think Hamilton is the answer in CF next year. I just can't get over the fact that he looks like 7th grader in a big league uni.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

5. Likes:

remdog (09-06-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (09-06-2013)

Easy to talk big now if you're BA. Nothing to lose. We'll see if he believes he's worth that when he has to decide on the qualifying offer.

I'm wondering.

Does anyone here think that as a FA, Bronson would not get a multiyear deal on the free market?

IIRC..
    Since 2006, most wins, most IP, never missed a start, never on the DL, not dependent on velocity..

Someone will offer him 3 years, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'll believe he's gone when I see it. We've been waving goodbye to Arroyo in small and great numbers since 2007.

I think it would be surprising if Arroyo or Choo are in the same uniform next season. Especially with Arroyo I just think there will be people with more money and years to throw around and I don't blame him one bit for taking it.

If Arroyo is going to get 3 years, and Choo is going to get 4 or 5 (or 6), then I'd let them get it somewhere else.

Reds need to be smart with their limited resources now, especially after 2015 when Latos, Cueto and Leake are facing FA, Cingrani, Frazier, Cozart and Mez could start getting expensive and Votto/BP/Bruce are making $50M+/year.

I'm fine paying these guys for the next two years, but after that we need to be thinking about how to pay our (younger) starting pitchers.
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

SirFelixCat (09-06-2013)

All things being equal (and there aren't of course) looking at long term... I'd prefer Choo, Bailey, then Bronson.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

A list of pending free agent pitchers heading into the offseason:

Bronson Arroyo (37)
    Scott Baker (32)
    Erik Bedard (35)
    A.J. Burnett (37)
    Chris Capuano (35) - $8MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
    Chris Carpenter (39)
    Bruce Chen (37)
    Bartolo Colon (41)
    Jorge De La Rosa (33)
    Scott Feldman (30)
    Gavin Floyd (31)
    Jeff Francis (33)
    Freddy Garcia (37)
    Jon Garland (34)
    Matt Garza (30)
    Roy Halladay (37) - $20MM vesting option
    Jason Hammel (31)
    Aaron Harang (36) - $7MM+ mutual option with a $2MM buyout
    Dan Haren (33)
    Roberto Hernandez (33)
    Tim Hudson (38)
    Phil Hughes (28)
    Ubaldo Jimenez (30) - may void $8MM option for 2014
    Josh Johnson (30)
    Jeff Karstens (31)
    Scott Kazmir (30)
    Hiroki Kuroda (39)
    Jon Lester (30) - $13MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Colby Lewis (34)
    Ted Lilly (38)
    Tim Lincecum (30)
    Paul Maholm (32)
    Shaun Marcum (32)
    Jason Marquis (35)
    Randy Messenger (32)
    Ricky Nolasco (31)
    Roy Oswalt (35)
    Mike Pelfrey (30)
    Andy Pettitte (42)
    Wandy Rodriguez (35) - $13MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
    Jonathan Sanchez (31)
    Ervin Santana (31)
    Johan Santana (34) - $25MM club option with a $5.5MM buyout
    Joe Saunders (33) - mutual option
    James Shields (32) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jason Vargas (31)
    Ryan Vogelsong (36) - $6.5MM club option with a $300K buyout
    Edinson Volquez (30)
    Tsuyoshi Wada (33) - $5MM club option
    Jake Westbrook (36) -- $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout.
    Chien-Ming Wang (34)
    Chris Young (35)
    Barry Zito (36) - $18MM vesting option with a $7MM buyout

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Like it or not.. It's a tough decision with Arroyo. He has been very reliable and has been a consistent innings eater. We can hope for a healthy Cueto but what we get is up in the air. Latos, Bailey, Leake, & Cingrani are what we are certain about heading into 2014. Unless we want Greg Reynolds types I have to believe the Reds will be in the market for not one starting pitcher but probably a few.

Some of the names I like that could be had for relatively cheap.. Gavin Floyd, Roberto Hernandez, Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson (I'd offer an incentive based deal there), & Paul Maholm.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    A list of pending free agent pitchers heading into the offseason:
    There's a lot of dudes on that list who haven't thrown up to snuff and could be turned into successful bullpen arms once Price gets a hold of them.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    There's a lot of dudes on that list who haven't thrown up to snuff and could be turned into successful bullpen arms once Price gets a hold of them.
    Good point cause the Reds are set in starting pitching for next year, barring injuries of course.

I'd let Arroyo walk and use the money to improve the offense. CF is a question mark still, is Hamilton ready? We could possibly upgrade at 3B and move Frazier to LF. Otherwise, the Reds need bullpen arms and bench bats.

Reynolds decent showing might play into the Reds decision on Arroyo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Two years, 5M/ year + lifetime supply of shampoo and conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Two years, 5M/ year + lifetime supply of shampoo and conditioner
    That's A-Rod type money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

20. Likes:

Crumbley (09-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?