Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Out of control Umps.... In Asia

Out of control Umps.... In Asia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar8qG...layer_embedded

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/cpbl-fight-taiwan-baseball/

Even if you are not overly familiar with when or how or why a balk is called, you should know that a pitcher must come to rest before delivering a pitch. If you need more information on the “balk,” here is your reading assignment.
    So, pitcher doesn’t come to rest before throwing a pitch. Umpire calls a balk (right call). Pitcher doesn’t know what he did wrong. Manager comes out to argue. This is all routine no matter where you are enjoying baseball. Japan, Taiwan, America, the outer ring of Saturn, some things are a guarantee. But this whole fracas goes into MMA overdrive when rule number one of “no touching” is violated.

After the manager gets run from the game for continuing his argument, he proceeds to bump the umpire. Don’t do that. Not even a little bit. Umpire’s hate that just as much as you hate that when some random guy at the mall wants to prove his toughness by knocking you back a couple inches with his barrel chest. But how the umpire responds, is inexcusable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Out of control Umps.... In Asia

Eh, I'm not seeing that as throat grabbing. I mean it was throat grabbing but it was with less force and less intent than the chest bump the mgr. gave the ump. Non issue.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree. It looked more like he was shoving him back and it was near the neck. I certainly didn't see an out of control ump. I saw a bunch of miscommunication in terms of language and knowing what was called and why though.

yes...there is nothing to see here...move along...

The ump choked.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

7. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-08-2013),RedsfaninMT (09-08-2013),westofyou (09-06-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-06-2013)

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

It seemed like the umpire was displaying an utter lack of respect for that manager. I mean how long were they actually talking? And they had the added difficulty of operating through an interpreter? As far as I can recall in MLB, umpires, no matter how heated the dispute, almost always give the manager the time of day. To turn your back to someone, ignore them, and say "I'm turning my back," seems entirely unnecessary in this situation.

Especially in Asia, this seems like a particularly brazen and culturally insensitive move.
    The physical interaction of grabbing the manager after he was pushed didn't bother me so much as the seeming lack of professionalism that lead to the altercation. A little bit of patience, common sense, and consideration from the ump and this whole incident would never have happened.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Typical arrogant US umpire...

Turn Off Ads?