Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: BRM obsession

  1. #16
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: BRM obsession

    I think in 40 years or so the obsession with the BRM will be minimal simply because the players and the fans for the most part who witnessed that era will be gone.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    795

    Re: BRM obsession

    I was really annoyed by the BRM worship when the team was so bad, every other highlight on the jumbotron came from a decade before I was born, and endless promotions. Now that the Reds have turned it around, and provided my generation with our own relevant stars, I love the old guys popping in every once in a while.

  4. #18
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    I truly don't get the negativity of any poster towards the greatest time in Reds history.

    Do Yankees fans do that to the '27 Yanks, or the Yankees of the 50's?

    Nope, they celebrate them all.

  5. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (09-07-2013), remdog (09-07-2013), traderumor (09-09-2013)

  6. #19
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think in 40 years or so the obsession with the BRM will be minimal simply because the players and the fans for the most part who witnessed that era will be gone.
    I think the legend of those guys will only grow with time, George.

    Numbers are forever.

  7. Likes:

    BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-06-2013)

  8. #20
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Run differential

    1975: +254
    1976: +224

  9. Likes:

    BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013), Red in Chicago (09-07-2013)

  10. #21
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Reds pitching during the BRM era, by simple ERA:

    1968: 10th (last)
    1969: 9th
    1970: 2nd
    1971: 7th
    1972: 3rd
    1973: 4th
    1974: 3rd
    1975: 3rd
    1976: 3rd
    1977: 10th (maybe it wasn't just Tony Perez leaving?)
    1978: 9th
    1979: 4th (Johnny Mac)
    1980: 10th (of 12 now)
    1981: 10th

    And then the lost years until Rose return and the Lou year of 1990.


    Take home message ( and woy has mentioned this on this site many, many times): the Reds usually hit. when they pitch well, they win. When they don't pitch well, they don't win.

  11. #22
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: BRM obsession

    I think in 40 years or so the obsession with the BRM will be minimal simply because the players and the fans for the most part who witnessed that era will be gone.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  12. #23
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Re: BRM obsession

    My goodness, do we have people who are Reds fans that hate on the brm love? Are there Yankee fans that hate Babe Ruth or Oriole fans that can't stand the fact that Cal Ripken was too proud to take a day off, even when he was slumping? I only got to witness Bench, Perez, Rose, and Concepcion in the twilight of their careers, but I am proud as a fan of everything they did, and stories about the brm from my dad and grandpa always brought us closer together when they were told to me. My team was the 1990 team, and I hope my kids never get tired of the stories I will tell of Rijo, Davis, the Nasty Boys, and the rest. And I will make sure I pass on the stories of the BRM from my dad and grandpa to my grandkids one day. I love the Reds and want to celebrate all of their glory, past and present.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

    ---Mr. Baseball 1992

  13. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (09-07-2013), remdog (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-06-2013)

  14. #24
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think in 40 years or so the obsession with the BRM will be minimal simply because the players and the fans for the most part who witnessed that era will be gone.
    I think the legend of those guys will only grow with time, George.

    Numbers are forever.

  15. Likes:

    BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013)

  16. #25
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    My goodness, do we have people who are Reds fans that hate on the brm love? Are there Yankee fans that hate Babe Ruth or Oriole fans that can't stand the fact that Cal Ripken was too proud to take a day off, even when he was slumping? I only got to witness Bench, Perez, Rose, and Concepcion in the twilight of their careers, but I am proud as a fan of everything they did, and stories about the brm from my dad and grandpa always brought us closer together when they were told to me. My team was the 1990 team, and I hope my kids never get tired of the stories I will tell of Rijo, Davis, the Nasty Boys, and the rest. And I will make sure I pass on the stories of the BRM from my dad and grandpa to my grandkids one day. I love the Reds and want to celebrate all of their glory, past and present.
    So true, tommy, I cherish the memory of Rijo, EDavis, Lark and the Nasty Boys just as much as I do the dudes who comprised the BRM.

  17. Likes:

    Big Klu (09-12-2013), Revering4Blue (09-06-2013), tommycash (09-06-2013)

  18. #26
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    So true, tommy, I cherish the memory of Rijo, EDavis, Lark and the Nasty Boys just as much as I do the dudes who comprised the BRM.
    Because I'm a Reds fan. Not a BRM fan, not a Lark fan.

    I'm a Reds fan. Reds teams of the past, present and future.

    And I'm completely perplexed that any Reds fan would be put off by the BRM.

    It was the best of times

  19. Likes:

    Big Klu (09-12-2013), BuckeyeRedleg (09-06-2013), HeatherC1212 (09-08-2013), HokieRed (09-07-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), RANDY IN INDY (09-07-2013), reds1869 (09-07-2013), Roy Tucker (09-08-2013), traderumor (09-09-2013), westofyou (09-06-2013)

  20. #27
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Because I'm a Reds fan. Not a BRM fan, not a Lark fan.

    I'm a Reds fan. Reds teams of the past, present and future.

    And I'm completely perplexed that any Reds fan would be put off by the BRM.

    It was the best of times
    I couldn't agree more.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

    ---Mr. Baseball 1992

  21. #28
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,519

    Re: BRM obsession

    The BRM spoiled many of us. We expect that a trade with the Giants will bring us George Foster while only giving up Frank Duffy. We think that rookies should be able to win 15 games in a season (Pat Zachary). We believe that bullpens should be stacked -- (who wouldn't have Tom Hall in the 7th inning these days). We want mega trades to yield pitchers who can throw 250 plus innings a year (Billingham), 2b who win back to back mvps and go to the Hall of Fame, and CF'ers who can throw to the catcher on a line and for good measure bat 8th and hit over .300.

    That's why many of us have an obsession. And why isn't Bob Howsam in the HOF?
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 09-07-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

  22. Likes:

    Always Red (09-06-2013), BCubb2003 (09-06-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), remdog (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-06-2013)

  23. #29
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: BRM obsession

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The BRM spoiled many of us. We expect that a trade with the Giants will bring us George Foster while only giving up Frank Duffy. We think that rookies should be able to win 15 games in a season (Pat Zachary). We believe that bullpens should be stacked -- (who wouldn't have Tom Hall in the 7th inning these days). We want mega trades to yield pitchers who can through 250 plus innings a year (Billingham), 2b who win back to back mvps and go to the Hall of Fame, and CF'ers who can through to the catcher on a line and for good measure bat 8th and hit over .300.

    That's why many of us have an obsession. And why isn't Bob Howsam in the HOF?
    Maybe we were spoiled early on, I certainly was, and thought the good times would last forever.

    Now we know that isn't true, but can look back in wonder and enjoy what was the best of baseball times in a Reds fans history.

    I went to the 7th game of the 1972 WS game with my grandfather, a long suffering Reds fan, and he passed in the winter of '75, but it to see the Reds on top of the world, before he went.

  24. Likes:

    Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), Roy Tucker (09-08-2013)

  25. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: BRM obsession

    Some of us are really old. Loved the BRM teams, love the 2013 team, loved the 1990 team. Loved the 61 team, even more the great 56 team. I've loved every Reds team for the last 60 years. I hope some of you born in 1980 or 82 can say the same in the year 2045.

  26. Likes:

    BuckeyeRedleg (09-07-2013), Chip R (09-07-2013), HeatherC1212 (09-08-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), RANDY IN INDY (09-07-2013), remdog (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-07-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25