Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BRM obsession

Re: BRM obsession

I have become aware that there is an amaziing club of today's 45-50 yr old's who's youth was significantly influenced by the 'Great8"......myself amongst them.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can you be too in love with a sunset? Or the sound of laughter from people you love?

Obsessed with the BRM era?

It was a special time and despite it being the 70s it was a simpler time as well, good times, GREAT team. Really special and in retrospect you really had to be there

4. Likes:

Always Red (09-07-2013), Big Klu (09-12-2013), HokieRed (09-07-2013), Number_Fourteen (09-07-2013), RANDY IN INDY (09-07-2013), reds1869 (09-07-2013), remdog (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-07-2013), traderumor (09-09-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-07-2013)

Chicago fans are obsessed with just one Bear's season. At least Reds fans have an entire decade.

6. Likes:

Always Red (09-07-2013)

For the record, I myself have never heard of anybody make fun of Cincinnati for excessive BRM love.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I live in Royals and Cardinals country. The fans here revere the BRM as in "Wow, yeah they were the greatest - never see a team like that again" when I mention them. Even Cardinal fans acknowledge the BRM. They, of course, then bring up the Gas House gang, and the Gibby Brock teams of 64, 67-68 and the steady stream of pennants since '82 (barf moments). Royals fans wax on about Brett and the great blue teams of the 80s and owner Ewing Kauffmann (oh, baseball in KC shall never be the same again since the Saint of KC baseball passed). I think the fan base of every team in every town (except the Cubs - do they have a living fan who can remember their last championship?) has at least one or two special eras that live forever as part of being a fan of that team. And no, not one single person has ever made fun of or laughed at my memories of the BRM. Most are envious of that decade of fandom, SL fans usually aren't envious but they understand it.

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    BTW ever hear anyone talk about the Brooklyn Dodgers? Or the 60's era Packers, late 60's Chiefs? 70's Raiders?

I have all to the point of exhaustion.

BTW those BRM teams were stacked baby

I got one that tops them all IMO

1972 Dolphins perfect season.

Nobody obsesses more about a past glory than Dolphin fans about the 1972 undefeated Dolphins. I actually attended a few games during the 72 perfect season, but I was too young (8) to appreciate anything else except how HOT it was.

PS Those BRM teams WERE STACKED. You can buy bootleg DVDs of the 1976 world Series and see for youself. One of my favorite moments is when, midway through game 2, Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto (who was doing the game for the network) says with a bit of demoralized resignation, "Man, these guys are GOOD"

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Gee, where to begin? Just off the top of my head...

PIT - Steel Curtain
    OAK - The Raiders of the 70s
    CHI - Monsters of Midway, 1985
    GB - Lambeau's Packers
    LA - Magic & Kareem's Lakers
    BOS - Bird's Celtics
    NYY - The good ol' days of the 90s

Human nature. Happens anywhere that they had a great run.
    I'd disagree with a lot of the teams on that list Bluegrass. With the exception of perhaps 1he 1985 Bears and the 1970's Raiders, there isn't nearly as much of an obsession with the fan base.

The current Reds are all compared to their BRM counterparts, and Reds fans openly wonder why the new players/managers can't be more like that team.(Short answer-Because that team was unbelievably good.)

I'd venture to guess I could find at least 5 comments on the message board bemoaning why a current player/manager isn't more like BRM player manager.

Steeler's fans celebrate the Steel Curtain of course, but they don't knock on the current players for not being the Steel Curtain.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

BRM deserves every bit of obsession it gets. What an incredible baseball team. 3 HOF starters which arguably should be 5. Greatest team ever....

13. Likes:

remdog (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If you'd have seen it, you would never forget it.

And the pitching was top 3 in the NL throughout the era, which is the dirty, untold secret of why those teams were so good. You should look it up! Jack Billngham, Don Gullett and Gary Nolan, at the very least, should also be there this weekend.
    Fred Norman

I sold beer and peanuts during those 2 years, got to see every home game. I cried like a little baby last night.

16. Likes:

powersackers (09-07-2013), redsfanmia (09-07-2013)

What a great gig that must have been.

I was only 7 and 8 then but still remember watching them with my parents. Brought a couple tears the eyes

It was, my top highlights was I got to meet Pete and John Wayne. Mark off 2 on my bucket list.

For the record, many Browns fans still go on about the Paul Brown era. Imagine being a Cleveland sports fan, where the last championship in a major sport was won in 1964. Or you could be a Cubs fan and obsess about 1908.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    For the record, many Browns fans still go on about the Paul Brown era. Imagine being a Cleveland sports fan, where the last championship in a major sport was won in 1964. Or you could be a Cubs fan and obsess about 1908.
    As a long suffering Browns fan, the Paul Brown era, with references to Jim Brown and Otto Graham, those years are all we have to celebrate. I never got to witness those years, but it is the only argument I have when someone tells me that the Browns suck, which I hear a lot.

As for many Reds fans, the BRM is the one thing we as Reds fans can look to as something that can give us bragging rights against other franchises. While we have not dominated lately, we can say that those Reds teams of the 70s were among baseballs best, if not the best. So, during those really bad years, we could say "yeah, things are bad, but that Big Red Machine was great right". While the Cardinals have Stan Musial, the Yankees have Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle, the Giants had Willie Mays, we have Rose, Morgan, Bench, Sparky, Tony, and Davy. Just my 2 cents.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Turn Off Ads?