Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So Hamilton is electric

Re: So Hamilton is electric

Glad Fay got to the bottom of that; Redszone beat him two it a couple of years ago.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Glad Fay got to the bottom of that; Redszone beat him two it a couple of years ago.
    Well Fay wrote this three years ago. . Strike out Aroldis Chapman and write in Billy Hamilton

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ibility-rules/

Here’s the deal on playoff eligibility:

To be eligible for a team’s playoff roster a player must be on either a) the 25-man active roster, b) the disabled list, c) the bereavement list, d) the suspended list as of Aug. 31 at midnight.

If an eligible player is injured and unable to play a club can call up any player in the organization regardless of their roster status, provided the replacement player was in the organization as of the Aug. 31 deadline and they finished the season in the organization, and they receive approval from the commissioner.

In the Reds case, Jose Arrendondo and Mike Lincoln are on the 60-day disabled list and not in the playoff plans. Aroldis Chapman could replace one of them. Someone else — Jason Isringhausen? — could replace the other.

4. Likes:

OGB (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well Fay wrote this three years ago. . Strike out Aroldis Chapman and write in Billy Hamilton

I seem to remember that we were joking when Fay posted that, he was reading Redszone as we were having a discussion about it and then he posted that a few days later.

I admit it's mostly just fun to poke fun, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Good stuff. Many thanks, KLW. Where I had it wrong was the 8/31 DL. I thought I'd read that only one of those players could be replaced. But, in retrospect that makes little sense since anyone could get injured and then what? Answer, Hamilton or whomever whether or not 25-man.

Begs another question for those interested in that stuff (aka sharing whatever genetic defect causes it). Given there always has been--and likely always will be--finagling that goes on with injuries and DL lists, how much more, if at all, might one expect MLB to investigate a supposed injury for validity than what happens in the regular season?

In other words, could totally see someone getting a "sore arm" or "stiff back" at just the right time to allow a player like game-changing-Billy to join the roster. But, in theory, that wouldn't be allowed without any question or proof. Or would it? What would MLB require from a team declaring a suspect injury? I can't recall a previous challenge or controversy around this in postseason play but must have happened?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Please allow that to be the last reference to Mike Lincoln ever on Redszone. Thank you.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (09-07-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-08-2013),Tom Servo (09-07-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Nick Masset, still around to save the day!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-07-2013),BluegrassRedleg (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What I'd like to see happen is for him to be on 2nd and someone lays a bunt down and Hamilton is so fast the defense has to watch him because he could score.
    At the game Friday when he was on 2nd....when the passed ball got away he was flying to 3rd and looking for the go....a few more feet away and he's gone. The crowd was yelling for him to go.

Deion speed with base running instincts and angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Nick Masset, still around to save the day!
    So that long term contract to him finally paid off
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

KC2135 (09-09-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    1. Let him hit if you REALLY need to but it's better to keep using him the way they have been.
    There's no way I let him hit in the post season. He's the 8th or 9th inning pinch runner when you need a run. In a nail bitter which most playoff games are I'd argue that there won't be another team in baseball with a difference maker like Hamilton available off the bench. You don't risk loosing that by letting him hit.

Now if the Reds clinch the division I'd get him all the regular season ABs I could. You never know when he might have to stay in a game after running for someone and then end up getting ABs in extras and he's also our future center fielder. But for the rest of this year, he's the Reds designated runner when games are being played that matter.

Posted this in another Hamilton thread. I can now admit I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree. I would hope he's not on the postseason roster. He'd only be used in the "Brian Roberts" role, as a pinch runner in late innings.

I don't want a 22 rookie, no matter how fast, trying to steal a base in a high leverage situation of a playoff game, when everyone in the stadium knows he's running. Whatever the outcome, it would have a huge effect on Hamilton mentally. I'd rather he simply get some experience of being a big leaguer, and use that continue his development in AAA next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Posted this in another Hamilton thread. I can now admit I was wrong.
    Dave Roberts?

17. Likes:

757690 (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Dave Roberts?
    The very same. I believe he scored the winning run for Boston in 2004 in game 4 against NY, in a role very similar to Hamilton. We all know what happened after that.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Please allow that to be the last reference to Mike Lincoln ever on Redszone. Thank you.
    I certainly appreciate that as a joke, and even smirked a bit myself, but I have to defend Mike Lincoln. I've worked in the bar industry for a long time, and if you're working at the right place you'll see a lot of athletes. I've met many Reds and Bengals players over the years. I've BS' d with them and went our seperate ways and they never remembered me. I've also gotten to know some guys who will see me and approach me to say hi.
    But the friendliest, most down to earth, most gracious athlete I've ever come across is Mike Lincoln. He's truly one of a kind in that regard.
    I understand the jabs based on his productivity, but I think its worth noting that he may be one of the most fan friendly gentleman to play for this club in some time.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-08-2013),klw (09-08-2013),mth123 (09-08-2013),Redeyecat (09-08-2013),RedlegJake (09-08-2013),REDREAD (09-09-2013),reds44 (09-08-2013),remdog (09-08-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-09-2013)

BTW, the Red Sox traded for Quintin Berry right before the deadline, and he got to play Dave Roberts already, too, and Stephen Drew got to play Bill Mueller, but they actually got to do it to Mariano Rivera.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

This is where the part of a Manager that isn't dealing with numbers comes into play. I probably already would have given Hamilton a start so I could play with a new toy. If Baker did that though he would be taking at bats from players like Heisey and Paul who are already finding it difficult enough to get playing time, and those are players he probably is going to have to call on in a big pinch hitting spot in October if Reds make it that far.

Will be interesting to see how long Dusty keeps Hamilton from his first MLB start. Curious if he even makes one this season for the above reasons. Maybe he gives Choo a rest if Reds ever clinch their spot in postseason.

Turn Off Ads?