Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: So Hamilton is electric

Re: So Hamilton is electric

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I don't see any scenario in which the Reds would use up a playoff spot for a player who's only talent is running and stealing bases.

For that to happen, that player would have to be proficient with either the glove or the bat. As of today, Hamilton is neither.

Playoff roster spots are just too valuable, and if someone gets injured, you're screwed. It is fun to watch him run, though.
    He's a very good CF.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    He's a very good CF.
    Thanks, I hadn't heard that, but you would be better qualified to know. Is he capable enough in the OF to use as a defensive replacement for Choo, or could he fill in in left or right if circumstances dictate (injury, etc.) ?
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that, but you would be better qualified to know. Is he capable enough in the OF to use as a defensive replacement for Choo, or could he fill in in left or right if circumstances dictate (injury, etc.) ?
    Hamilton would probably be one of the better defensive center fielders in the game today. I doubt he would be used in the corners though, he hasn't ever played there.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This point can't be repeated enough. It helps the hitters because the pitcher will make more mistakes, will rush his delivery messing with his accuracy, he'll shake off breaking balls and go with more FB's, etc. It's in the catcher's head too. He's jumpy back behind the dish, not giving a good target to the pitcher and is set up in poor form to receive the pitch. Defenders in the IF will be wanting to make their breaks towards the bag quicker and allowing for slightly larger IF holes for the hitters. The effects of a true base-stealing threat are really underestimated IMO.
    It can also affect the hitter negatively. Again, very difficult to measure.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton would probably be one of the better defensive center fielders in the game today. I doubt he would be used in the corners though, he hasn't ever played there.
    I'm thinking in the course of a playoff series.

I still don't see it. I appreciate that he's a difference maker on the bases, but to use a playoff roster spot for him instead of an extra bat or arm seems like a big gamble.

During the course of a 5 or 7 game playoff, a situation to use him might not even come up. Then consider that he might have to play the field and you limit him to hitting and/or running for a pitcher or OFer.

You just don't have the luxury that you do in September in the regular season when the roster is expanded.

I still don't see it. I appreciate that he's a difference maker on the bases, but to use a playoff roster spot for him instead of an extra bat or arm seems like a big gamble.

During the course of a 5 or 7 game playoff, a situation to use him might not even come up. Then consider that he might have to play the field and you limit him to hitting and/or running for a pitcher or OFer.

You just don't have the luxury that you do in September in the regular season when the roster is expanded.
    Yes you do have that luxury, because you only need 4 starters or maybe even 3 in the playoffs. You can carry 11 pitchers and not stress about carrying Billy.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Normally I'd agree but not here. He is simply a rarity. He can play CF very well and could slide into center as defensive replacement - Choo could always slide over in a pinch. We are talking late in the game. He is an excellent bunter. He can bunt for hits. Anything on the ground is a threat for a single. It's not as if he is absolutely hapless at the plate - you make it sound like he is the worst player that ever came up. His speed as pinch runner changes the entire complexion of a situation. It rattles the pitcher, it brings the catcher out of his normal stance, it opens a hole in the infield as the 1B holds him close, it eliminates the bunt and giving up an out to advance the runner, your Cardinal team saw what it can do to a team in a close game. Finally, the season isn't over yet. Plenty of time for him to get a few at bats against the Cubs, Stros and Brewers to see how he fares.

9. Likes:

joshua (09-10-2013), Old school 1983 (09-09-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Absolutely for center. I don't think he's played left or right yet.

~edit~ Nevermind, I see others have covered this.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-09-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Normally I'd agree but not here. He is simply a rarity. He can play CF very well and could slide into center as defensive replacement - Choo could always slide over in a pinch. We are talking late in the game. He is an excellent bunter. He can bunt for hits. Anything on the ground is a threat for a single. It's not as if he is absolutely hapless at the plate - you make it sound like he is the worst player that ever came up. His speed as pinch runner changes the entire complexion of a situation. It rattles the pitcher, it brings the catcher out of his normal stance, it opens a hole in the infield as the 1B holds him close, it eliminates the bunt and giving up an out to advance the runner, your Cardinal team saw what it can do to a team in a close game. Finally, the season isn't over yet. Plenty of time for him to get a few at bats against the Cubs, Stros and Brewers to see how he fares.
    By no means did I mean to insinuate that he is a hapless hitter, but while reading this thread, very few, if any, have referred to his hitting.

What I am saying is that in a short series, you fill your roster with as many bats and arms as possible. Even defensive replacements are players that have been on the roster during the season.

I also disagree about the number of pitchers. Just because a team is using fewer starters doesn't mean that they can use fewer on the roster. You still need a long man, so as not to burn up your bullpen. In most cases, that's your 5th starter.

Many teams will add an extra lefty, or use that spot for an extra bat or even 3rd catcher.

My point is that to have a player on a team whose primary role is to reek havoc on the bases is not practical. Teams will be reluctant to pinch run for anyone but a pitcher, so if he pinch hits, someone will have to come out. The last thing you want to do is run out of position players in a playoff game.

Unless it's a one run game or tied, it won't make sense to use him. Second, is he someone Dusty would send up with runners on base, down by a couple ? Third, are you going to switch out for Choo in a tie game in the late innings ?

I also think you are overstating the whole " disruption " factor. We're talking about the postseason, and the better teams and better pitchers will be playing. Pitchers used to say they ignored Vince Coleman and just let him run, concentrating on the hitter.

Sure, if the situation is ideal, late innings and a tie game, he'd be the ideal weapon. But what are the odds of that happening in a short series ? What if the games aren't close, or the tying run is your back up catcher ?

I'm not saying he won't make the roster (if possible), and maybe the Reds can afford to have him on the squad. I just can't remember any instances where a team had a designated baserunner on a playoff roster at the exspense of an extra bat or arm.

Already considered one of the greatest base stealers of all-time according to this list. Nice!!

#4 all time!!!

In terms of playoff roster construction:

If you look at past postseason results, you'll see that many times, players on the postseason roster are never used in the playoffs. Teams tend to play their best players for every inning, except when there is an injury.

There really is no difference between carrying a guy like X. Paul on the roster, who will likely only get a handful of pinch hitting chances, and a guy like Hamilton who will only get a handful of pinch running chances.

Most playoff teams use just their starting 8, their 5 starting pitchers, and their 3 best relievers in the playoffs. The other 9 guys are there used only in extreme situations. They really aren't needed much at all. So carrying one guy who mostly pinch runs, isn't a big deal at all.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I know everyone sees leadoff hitter but I think he would be ideally suited for the 2 hole if somehow Choo stuck around. With Dusty liking his 2 hole hitter capable of bunting. Choo can be bunted over to second when Votto comes up and a lot of those sacrifices would turn into hits or errors with Hamilton's speed.
    Yeah, you gotta think that Billy early in his career would be one of those exceptions where it makes sense to bunt. My only worry is that it would stunt his growth as a hitter otherwise, which would be unfortunate.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In terms of playoff roster construction:

If you look at past postseason results, you'll see that many times, players on the postseason roster are never used in the playoffs. Teams tend to play their best players for every inning, except when there is an injury.

There really is no difference between carrying a guy like X. Paul on the roster, who will likely only get a handful of pinch hitting chances, and a guy like Hamilton who will only get a handful of pinch running chances.

Most playoff teams use just their starting 8, their 5 starting pitchers, and their 3 best relievers in the playoffs. The other 9 guys are there used only in extreme situations. They really aren't needed much at all. So carrying one guy who mostly pinch runs, isn't a big deal at all.
    I agree with the premise that you usually ride your starters as long as possible, and that teams will use 12 or 13 pitchers, the rest position players. You need a long man (usually the 5th starter), at least 1 extra catcher, a utility IFer and a loogy.

Assuming that the Reds wouldn't use Hamilton as the only extra OFer (I was told he's never played left or right), who that was on the team on August 31 doesn't make the cut ?

The last guy I'd ever want on my team's postseason roster is their 7th best reliever. You're scaring me.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

17. Likes:

Big Klu (09-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Already considered one of the greatest base stealers of all-time according to this list. Nice!!

#4 all time!!!
    Can't wait for Billy Hamiton to break Billy Hamilton's record.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Turn Off Ads?