Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 164

Thread: So Hamilton is electric

  1. #16
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,909

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This point can't be repeated enough. It helps the hitters because the pitcher will make more mistakes, will rush his delivery messing with his accuracy, he'll shake off breaking balls and go with more FB's, etc. It's in the catcher's head too. He's jumpy back behind the dish, not giving a good target to the pitcher and is set up in poor form to receive the pitch. Defenders in the IF will be wanting to make their breaks towards the bag quicker and allowing for slightly larger IF holes for the hitters. The effects of a true base-stealing threat are really underestimated IMO.
    He definitely was in the pitchers head. That first fastball votto fouled off will usually get crushed.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Pook's Hill
    Posts
    1,556

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    The Reds are still playing for this year. The success he would have reaching base at the MLB level is very much in question. His best use right now is as a pinch runner - eliminate the 'if he reaches base' part and let him do what he does best.

  4. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-07-2013)

  5. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    I think you are not Al Gore.
    I got the South Park reference, didn't get the context though...

  6. #19
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,463

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    I truly believe if he can obp .350 he will be a star. If he could make himself into about .400 obp player he could be a super star. No doubt he's a game changer. I just hope he can find that magic formula to be able to get on base consistently.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. #20
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    936

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    I know everyone sees leadoff hitter but I think he would be ideally suited for the 2 hole if somehow Choo stuck around. With Dusty liking his 2 hole hitter capable of bunting. Choo can be bunted over to second when Votto comes up and a lot of those sacrifices would turn into hits or errors with Hamilton's speed.

  8. Likes:

    RedEye (09-09-2013)

  9. #21
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    6,084

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I know everyone sees leadoff hitter but I think he would be ideally suited for the 2 hole if somehow Choo stuck around. With Dusty liking his 2 hole hitter capable of bunting. Choo can be bunted over to second when Votto comes up and a lot of those sacrifices would turn into hits or errors with Hamilton's speed.
    Can you see the infield array in this scenario? They would be playing across the board in line with the pitcher when Hamilton batted. It would be hilarious. They'd probably have the CFer covering second to stop Choo from stealing...

  10. #22
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,732

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    I predict Hamilton will hit better than Stubbs, without the power, but then Stubbs' power wasn't all that significant. And Hamilton will do whatever it takes to get on base, while Stubbs never seemed to.

  11. #23
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    936

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Can you see the infield array in this scenario? They would be playing across the board in line with the pitcher when Hamilton batted. It would be hilarious. They'd probably have the CFer covering second to stop Choo from stealing...
    Would be interesting. They certainly would be playing further in on the corners than they do for even a routine Hamilton at bat. So if Hamilton decided to swing away you would assume his BABIP would be incredibly high with all the gaps in defense. That is if he can make consistent contact at MLB level. Would love to see him get a start sometime.

  12. #24
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,932

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I predict Hamilton will hit better than Stubbs, without the power, but then Stubbs' power wasn't all that significant. And Hamilton will do whatever it takes to get on base, while Stubbs never seemed to.
    What exactly did you want Stubbs to do that was within his abilities?

    Hamilton had a .308 OBP in AAA. Why wasn't he doing whatever it takes down there?

    He was doing all that he could. Guys aren't up there not trying their best.

  13. #25
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,909

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What exactly did you want Stubbs to do that was within his abilities?

    Hamilton had a .308 OBP in AAA. Why wasn't he doing whatever it takes down there?

    He was doing all that he could. Guys aren't up there not trying their best.
    I agree that the players are trying their best. No one wants to fail especially when their career and millions of dollars from a contract are one the line.

    I think the question that concerned me with Stubbs is what was he trying his best at. Was he trying his best to maximize his skillset and become a more selective contact type of hitter who put the ball on the ground to maximize his speed and get on base, or was he trying to play like a power type hitter and striking out. At least to me it looked like he was trying his best at being the free swinging power guy, not a contact speed on base guy the team needed him to be.

  14. #26
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,932

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree that the players are trying their best. No one wants to fail especially when their career and millions of dollars from a contract are one the line.

    I think the question that concerned me with Stubbs is what was he trying his best at. Was he trying his best to maximize his skillset and become a more selective contact type of hitter who put the ball on the ground to maximize his speed and get on base, or was he trying to play like a power type hitter and striking out. At least to me it looked like he was trying his best at being the free swinging power guy, not a contact speed on base guy the team needed him to be.
    No-power, groundball guys generally suck. Stubbs simply didn't have the ability to be that "contact guy".

  15. Likes:

    757690 (09-07-2013), AtomicDumpling (09-09-2013)

  16. #27
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,473

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No-power, groundball guys generally suck. Stubbs simply didn't have the ability to be that "contact guy".
    Agree. It seemed like the problem with Stubbs is he tried to be that groundball/contact guy, and was terrible at it. If he sticks to being a solid glove, fast runner with a bit of pop in his bat, he's a very good 4th outfielder, like he's been in Cleveland this year.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  17. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,371

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If he sticks to being a solid glove, fast runner with a bit of pop in his bat, he's a very good 4th outfielder, like he's been in Cleveland this year.
    He hasn't been a 4th outfielder in Cleveland this year. 132 games in center and right, he's been starting for Cleveland.

  18. #29
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,473

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He hasn't been a 4th outfielder in Cleveland this year. 132 games in center and right, he's been starting for Cleveland.
    Thanks for the correction. I try to not pay attention to what's happening in Cleveland, lol.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  19. #30
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,932

    Re: So Hamilton is electric

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He hasn't been a 4th outfielder in Cleveland this year. 132 games in center and right, he's been starting for Cleveland.
    His profile, as he has played this year, is that of a 4th outfielder.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25