Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So Hamilton is electric

Re: So Hamilton is electric

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This point can't be repeated enough. It helps the hitters because the pitcher will make more mistakes, will rush his delivery messing with his accuracy, he'll shake off breaking balls and go with more FB's, etc. It's in the catcher's head too. He's jumpy back behind the dish, not giving a good target to the pitcher and is set up in poor form to receive the pitch. Defenders in the IF will be wanting to make their breaks towards the bag quicker and allowing for slightly larger IF holes for the hitters. The effects of a true base-stealing threat are really underestimated IMO.
    He definitely was in the pitchers head. That first fastball votto fouled off will usually get crushed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds are still playing for this year. The success he would have reaching base at the MLB level is very much in question. His best use right now is as a pinch runner - eliminate the 'if he reaches base' part and let him do what he does best.

4. Likes:

bigredmechanism (09-07-2013), Revering4Blue (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    I think you are not Al Gore.
    I got the South Park reference, didn't get the context though...

I truly believe if he can obp .350 he will be a star. If he could make himself into about .400 obp player he could be a super star. No doubt he's a game changer. I just hope he can find that magic formula to be able to get on base consistently.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I know everyone sees leadoff hitter but I think he would be ideally suited for the 2 hole if somehow Choo stuck around. With Dusty liking his 2 hole hitter capable of bunting. Choo can be bunted over to second when Votto comes up and a lot of those sacrifices would turn into hits or errors with Hamilton's speed.

8. Likes:

RedEye (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I know everyone sees leadoff hitter but I think he would be ideally suited for the 2 hole if somehow Choo stuck around. With Dusty liking his 2 hole hitter capable of bunting. Choo can be bunted over to second when Votto comes up and a lot of those sacrifices would turn into hits or errors with Hamilton's speed.
    Can you see the infield array in this scenario? They would be playing across the board in line with the pitcher when Hamilton batted. It would be hilarious. They'd probably have the CFer covering second to stop Choo from stealing...

Haunted by walks

I predict Hamilton will hit better than Stubbs, without the power, but then Stubbs' power wasn't all that significant. And Hamilton will do whatever it takes to get on base, while Stubbs never seemed to.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Can you see the infield array in this scenario? They would be playing across the board in line with the pitcher when Hamilton batted. It would be hilarious. They'd probably have the CFer covering second to stop Choo from stealing...
    Would be interesting. They certainly would be playing further in on the corners than they do for even a routine Hamilton at bat. So if Hamilton decided to swing away you would assume his BABIP would be incredibly high with all the gaps in defense. That is if he can make consistent contact at MLB level. Would love to see him get a start sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I predict Hamilton will hit better than Stubbs, without the power, but then Stubbs' power wasn't all that significant. And Hamilton will do whatever it takes to get on base, while Stubbs never seemed to.
    What exactly did you want Stubbs to do that was within his abilities?

Hamilton had a .308 OBP in AAA. Why wasn't he doing whatever it takes down there?

He was doing all that he could. Guys aren't up there not trying their best.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What exactly did you want Stubbs to do that was within his abilities?

Hamilton had a .308 OBP in AAA. Why wasn't he doing whatever it takes down there?

He was doing all that he could. Guys aren't up there not trying their best.
    I agree that the players are trying their best. No one wants to fail especially when their career and millions of dollars from a contract are one the line.

I think the question that concerned me with Stubbs is what was he trying his best at. Was he trying his best to maximize his skillset and become a more selective contact type of hitter who put the ball on the ground to maximize his speed and get on base, or was he trying to play like a power type hitter and striking out. At least to me it looked like he was trying his best at being the free swinging power guy, not a contact speed on base guy the team needed him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree that the players are trying their best. No one wants to fail especially when their career and millions of dollars from a contract are one the line.

I think the question that concerned me with Stubbs is what was he trying his best at. Was he trying his best to maximize his skillset and become a more selective contact type of hitter who put the ball on the ground to maximize his speed and get on base, or was he trying to play like a power type hitter and striking out. At least to me it looked like he was trying his best at being the free swinging power guy, not a contact speed on base guy the team needed him to be.
    No-power, groundball guys generally suck. Stubbs simply didn't have the ability to be that "contact guy".

15. Likes:

757690 (09-07-2013), AtomicDumpling (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No-power, groundball guys generally suck. Stubbs simply didn't have the ability to be that "contact guy".
    Agree. It seemed like the problem with Stubbs is he tried to be that groundball/contact guy, and was terrible at it. If he sticks to being a solid glove, fast runner with a bit of pop in his bat, he's a very good 4th outfielder, like he's been in Cleveland this year.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If he sticks to being a solid glove, fast runner with a bit of pop in his bat, he's a very good 4th outfielder, like he's been in Cleveland this year.
    He hasn't been a 4th outfielder in Cleveland this year. 132 games in center and right, he's been starting for Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He hasn't been a 4th outfielder in Cleveland this year. 132 games in center and right, he's been starting for Cleveland.
    Thanks for the correction. I try to not pay attention to what's happening in Cleveland, lol.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    His profile, as he has played this year, is that of a 4th outfielder.

Turn Off Ads?