Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Better?

Re: Feeling Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd rather swallow hot coals than lose to the Cardinals. I didn't "give up on the season," but I was convinced we were the second WC. And right now, we still are. And probably more than likely will be.

I'm just glad they've brought up Hamilton and used him. I was a huge booster of this tactic all season long because of the snail crawl base running of this team. I'm glad wisdom settled into the FO.
    So you think we should have brought up Hamilton all year just to pinch run? Lets not get him everyday at bats and defensive opportunities, because we need a good runner on the bench. He was not exactly tearing it up at the plate and his OBP was way too low. If we need him to be the lead off hitter for years to come, he needed chances to improve. Bringing him up in September was the only answer in my book.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

2. Likes:

redsmetz (09-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    A good percentage of RaisorZone was freaking out a couple of weeks ago. Things were said about the team being "gutless." Some questioned the team's heart. Many of you were outspoken about giving up on the season.

Simple question: Feeling better?
    I wasn't doing much posting here a few weeks ago due to other distractions. But I always watch every game wherever I am (unless the damn television poobahs....never mind) and definitely wasn't thinking "gutless" or anything negative about "heart."

Why not? Certainly not because I'm any smarter or more prescient than anyone else. And probably not because I'm more a lifelong or loyal fan than anyone else here. The big reason is where I'm based. And, here in DC, the 2013 Nationals have lacked chemistry, work-ethic and drive like few teams you'll ever see. So, natural for me to always be keeping half an eye on the Nats and one and half eyes on the Reds during the year. No comparison at any point this year; not in slightest.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd rather swallow hot coals than lose to the Cardinals. I didn't "give up on the season," but I was convinced we were the second WC. And right now, we still are. And probably more than likely will be.

I'm just glad they've brought up Hamilton and used him. I was a huge booster of this tactic all season long because of the snail crawl base running of this team. I'm glad wisdom settled into the FO.
    No way. I'll be somewhat stunned if we don't manage to at least get and keep the 1st WC spot. The Bucs are seriously wobbly. And, who knows with the Cards?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Feeling better, but we're coming up on another Milwaukee series. Oy vey. Why can't we dominate that team?

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    A good percentage of RaisorZone was freaking out a couple of weeks ago. Things were said about the team being "gutless." Some questioned the team's heart. Many of you were outspoken about giving up on the season.

Simple question: Feeling better?
    For now. . . and quite honestly no one will really care what this team does until we see what happens in the post season. Another early playoff exit will make for a LONG off season.

Do I feel better now? No, but then again, I never really felt bad to begin with.

On August 4th, the Reds were 6.5 games out of first place. Since that time, the Reds have gone 20-12 (.625) and climbed to within 1.5 games of the division lead. During that time frame, the Reds have outperformed both Pittsburgh (15-16) and St. Louis (18-15). I firmly believe that the division title is ripe for the taking, as I think the Pirates will continue to falter and that St. Louis will continue their descent back down to earth. As a result of that, I believe that the Reds will again be the NL Central Champions this season. It's going to be an exciting September as everything plays out. No doubt about it.

10. Likes:

1940757690 (09-08-2013), RedEye (09-08-2013)

One thing I've said all season: momentum is going to be critical in this division in September. I think the Pirates are a solid team and I didn't expect them to choke, I still don't, but I did think they were peaking early as far as momentum goes. The misuse of their pitching staff top to bottom wasn't going to help that either.

I expected both the Reds and Cardinals to peak later. That's the cardinals' MO, and I saw the Reds as a talented team that just needed time to pull it all together. And I thought a late-season push would be good for them as opposed to being clear-cut, long-expected division winners. Honestly the Cardinals are still my pick to win the division. 2010 excepted, I just never trust the Cardinals in September. It's nice to see them crumble against the Reds though. The Reds also have more downtime the next few weeks than either the Cardinals and Pirates (they've played more games to date), so that's good.

One thing I've been saying for about a week: the next three series are critical for the Reds. If they dominate the Cubs, Brewers, and Astros, they might become the division frontrunner. If not, momentum gets away from them and they position themselves very poorly for the playoffs, both literally and mentally. It seems silly to say about such anemic teams, but the next nine games may prove the make-or-break chunk of the season for the Reds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Looks like the Cards will sweep these Bucs. Just hitting them at will! 5-0 in the 3rd

Not really.
    Go Gators!

I'm feeling better than I did in 2005; however I feel about the same as I did a couple of weeks ago -- I was relishing a pennant race then and am living it now.
    Win the Division

15. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm feeling better than I did in 2005; however I feel about the same as I did a couple of weeks ago -- I was relishing a pennant race then and am living it now.
    We sure have one now....ESPN and MLB will reluctantly have to show OUR division down the stretch. LOL, I'm gonna love that.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    So you think we should have brought up Hamilton all year just to pinch run? Lets not get him everyday at bats and defensive opportunities, because we need a good runner on the bench. He was not exactly tearing it up at the plate and his OBP was way too low. If we need him to be the lead off hitter for years to come, he needed chances to improve. Bringing him up in September was the only answer in my book.
    The day the Reds knew Ludwick would be out for most of the season is the day Hamilton should have been promoted and penciled into the lineup, Choo in LF. I advocated for it then and I stand by it. Hitters, if they're going to matter, can learn on the job in the majors. And let's not pretend the Reds had a bunch of better options in the 2 hole (Cozart? Oy.)

I am.

What's wrong with experiencing the ups and downs of a ballclub? Isn't that what it's all about?

Pay attention to the open sky

19. Likes:

Always Red (09-09-2013), Falls City Beer (09-08-2013), Larkin Fan (09-08-2013), OnBaseMachine (09-09-2013), RANDY IN INDY (09-08-2013), vaticanplum (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I am.

What's wrong with experiencing the ups and downs of a ballclub? Isn't that what it's all about?
    Depends on what you mean by "experiencing."

I was actually worried about the sanity of a few people, and I know from crazy
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love baseball, I live baseball, I never let baseball make me feel bad about anything.

Except that I can't watch it year round
    Here's the difference between you and me and I suppose it outlines my problems

I love the Reds more than I love baseball.

At least I can admit it....

22. Likes:

SunDeck (09-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?