Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Dodgers vs. Reds 9/8/13

Re: Dodgers vs. Reds 9/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It's 12:19 AM and only MLB network has mentioned baseball. It's NFL all the time. I despise the NFL. I guess I'm in the minority.
    I don't hate football. Baseball's my sport but I can also appreciate a good football game and, when baseball's over, I'll watch the NFL occasionally.

Here's the thing though. On one hand, can't blame the TPTB ('Television Powers That Be,' including networks and all cable, broadcast and satellite carriers) on one hand since, of course, their goal is profit maximization.

On the other hand, the TPTB represent an industry that will go the way of the dinosaurs. It has happened with book publishing. It has happened with music labels. Why? Simply because once the technology and regulatory structure exist to give consumers choice, trying to support an outdated and non-customer-centric system ensures downfall. That's exactly what's going on with television now (sports and otherwise). It will not persist. Can remember you read that here.

P.S., In case you need a good example of the TPTB's absolute idiocy and madness, Saturday was Exhibit A. For Reds fans living in NYC, BOS, PHL or, like me, in DC, it was impossible to see the Reds game. Said Reds game had major implications for the pennant race in baseball's hottest division. It featured two of the best pitchers in the game (Latos and Greinke). A paying MLB.TV subscriber couldn't get the game because weekend games are often "blacked out" to MLB due to arragements with national broadcasters (in Saturday's case, FOX). A DirectTV or DishTV satellite subscriber was also out of luck since those large satellite companies can't and don't dictate (usually) what a network like FOX shows. Finally, FOX, who had all the cards for Saturday, decided that college football games, featuring non-regionally-relevant-teams, would be of higher interest to their customers on the eastern seaboard and elsewhere. So, no Reds/Dodgers. Why did FOX make that decision? Based on what market research? Who knows?

Tonight, arguably the hottest NFL matchup of Week 1 will be primetime (RGIII's Redskins versus the Chip Kelly remade, Michael Vick Eagles). But, for me, no problem at all getting Reds/Cubs as I will do. It's Monday, so I can bring it up on MLB.TV no problem. Maddening and unsustainable stuff.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Likes:

OC_Red (09-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Watching the highlights back this morning on MLB.com, what a final call by Kelch on the radio. Great energetic stuff.
    No one expects the butterfly

5. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I don't hate football. Baseball's my sport but I can also appreciate a good football game and, when baseball's over, I'll watch the NFL occasionally.

Here's the thing though. On one hand, can't blame the TPTB ('Television Powers That Be,' including networks and all cable, broadcast and satellite carriers) on one hand since, of course, their goal is profit maximization.

On the other hand, the TPTB represent an industry that will go the way of the dinosaurs. It has happened with book publishing. It has happened with music labels. Why? Simply because once the technology and regulatory structure exist to give consumers choice, trying to support an outdated and non-customer-centric system ensures downfall. That's exactly what's going on with television now (sports and otherwise). It will not persist. Can remember you read that here.

P.S., In case you need a good example of the TPTB's absolute idiocy and madness, Saturday was Exhibit A. For Reds fans living in NYC, BOS, PHL or, like me, in DC, it was impossible to see the Reds game. Said Reds game had major implications for the pennant race in baseball's hottest division. It featured two of the best pitchers in the game (Latos and Greinke). A paying MLB.TV subscriber couldn't get the game because weekend games are often "blacked out" to MLB due to arragements with national broadcasters (in Saturday's case, FOX). A DirectTV or DishTV satellite subscriber was also out of luck since those large satellite companies can't and don't dictate (usually) what a network like FOX shows. Finally, FOX, who had all the cards for Saturday, decided that college football games, featuring non-regionally-relevant-teams, would be of higher interest to their customers on the eastern seaboard and elsewhere. So, no Reds/Dodgers. Why did FOX make that decision? Based on what market research? Who knows?

Tonight, arguably the hottest NFL matchup of Week 1 will be primetime (RGIII's Redskins versus the Chip Kelly remade, Michael Vick Eagles). But, for me, no problem at all getting Reds/Cubs as I will do. It's Monday, so I can bring it up on MLB.TV no problem. Maddening and unsustainable stuff.
    I think that is changing next season. If I understand it correctly in 2014 the FOX games will also be availble on MLBTV in real time. I agree with you. I hate the FOX games. DC never carries the Reds and you are left out in the cold. It will be the same way this weekend too. FOX is carrying the Reds/Brewers game I'm sure we will stuck with another Sox/Yanks game. This past weekend I had my Kindle out follwing the Reds on the MLB13 app while watching the UK football game. Looks like the same this Saturday.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?