Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cueto throws BP

Re: Cueto throws BP

I'd be fine with Cueto out of the pen. If that is the role they have in mind then bring him on during the series with the Cubs and Brewers and Stros to start an inning fresh first, though. Let him get back in the groove before bringing into a highly leveraged situation. It will be interesting to see how they use him, that's for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's not a jinx if its the truth! See!:
    Seriously, somebody needs to find a picture like this but he's standing next to someone in a "Giants" uniform.

That being said, Altuve is one of the only players on that club who ISN'T a little leaguer. Even if he looks like one. Solid all-around player.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's all fun and games until Altuve snaps and kills his father with a crossbow.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Fay reports Cueto says he feels ready after throwing 63 pitches this morning of live batting practice.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

CTrent also tweeted that Dusty hinted about using the off-days to skip the 5 spot in the rotation for the last 16 games.

So 4 man rotation, plus Cueto doing what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    CTrent also tweeted that Dusty hinted about using the off-days to skip the 5 spot in the rotation for the last 16 games.

So 4 man rotation, plus Cueto doing what exactly?
    Other question is who would that line up to pitch and when if there are post-season games? If they did a strict 4 man rotation here is how it would look. the problem is you would have guys going on shorter than usual rest twice per week as the off days are a week apart. More likely they modify it. With Monday off, however, the Reds could skip Leake and have Latos start Tuesday on the then "regular 4 day rest" and have Bailey on 5 rotation rest for Thursday.

Code:
    Wed, Sep 11 vs Cubs 12:35 PM		Leake (12-6)	Samardzija (8-11)

Fri, Sep 13@ Milwaukee 8:10 PM		Latos (14-5)	Lohse (9-9)
    Sat, Sep 14@ Milwaukee 1:05 PM	FOX	Bailey (10-10)	Hellweg (1-3)	
    Sun, Sep 15 @ Milwaukee 2:10 PM		Arroyo (13-11)	Gallardo (11-9)	
    Mon, Sep 16 @Houston 8:10 PM		Leake (12-6)	
    Tue, Sep 17 @ Houston 8:10 PM		Latos	
    Wed, Sep 18 @ Houston 8:10 PM		Bailey 	 	

Fri, Sep 20 @ Pittsburgh 7:05 PM	Arroyo	 	
    Sat, Sep 21@ Pittsburgh 7:05 PM		Leake	 	
    Sun, Sep 22@ Pittsburgh 1:35 PM		Latos 	 	
    Mon, Sep 23 vs NY Mets 7:10 PM		Bailey 	 
    Tue, Sep 24 vs NY Mets 7:10 PM		Arroyo	 	
    Wed, Sep 25 vs NY Mets 12:35 PM		Leake	 	

Fri, Sep 27 vs Pittsburgh 7:10 PM	Latos 	 	
    Sat, Sep 28 vs Pittsburgh 4:10 PM	Bailey 	 	
    Sun, Sep 29 vs Pittsburgh 1:10 PM	Arroyo

Tue Oct 2  Wild Card game (if necessary)

Thu Oct 4 Divison Game 1
    Here is a modified version which gives Cueto 2 starts vs Astros and Mets and keeps the rest on at least regular rest. It lines up Bailey for the first post-season start.

Code:
    Wed, Sep 11 vs Cubs 12:35 PM		Leake (12-6)	Samardzija (8-11)

Fri, Sep 13@ Milwaukee 8:10 PM		Latos (14-5)	Lohse (9-9)
    Sat, Sep 14@ Milwaukee 1:05 PM	FOX	Bailey (10-10)	Hellweg (1-3)	
    Sun, Sep 15 @ Milwaukee 2:10 PM		Arroyo (13-11)	Gallardo (11-9)	
    Mon, Sep 16 @Houston 8:10 PM		Leake (12-6)	
    Tue, Sep 17 @ Houston 8:10 PM		Cueto
    Wed, Sep 18 @ Houston 8:10 PM		Latos  	 	

Fri, Sep 20 @ Pittsburgh 7:05 PM	Bailey 	 	
    Sat, Sep 21@ Pittsburgh 7:05 PM		Arroyo	 	
    Sun, Sep 22@ Pittsburgh 1:35 PM	        Leake	 	 	
    Mon, Sep 23 vs NY Mets 7:10 PM		Latos	 
    Tue, Sep 24 vs NY Mets 7:10 PM		Cueto	
    Wed, Sep 25 vs NY Mets 12:35 PM		Bailey 	 	

Fri, Sep 27 vs Pittsburgh 7:10 PM	Arroyo	
    Sat, Sep 28 vs Pittsburgh 4:10 PM	Leake 		 	
    Sun, Sep 29 vs Pittsburgh 1:10 PM	Latos

Tue Oct 2  Wild Card game (if necessary)

Thu Oct 4 Divison Game 1
    Last edited by klw; 09-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Other question is who would that line up to pitch and when if there are post-season games?
    Starting today, if they go Leake, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo the rest of the way, it would be Leake's turn to start the wild card game. Latos would have to start the wild card game on three days rest if they stuck with the current rotation. Maybe they throw Cueto/Reynolds in for one of the Mets or Astros games to make sure Latos is lined up to start the wild card game on four days rest.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Hypothetically, lets say you put Cueto in the rotation now and you built up his arm by 15 pitches per start. Going off klw's chart, you could have him at 75 for his first start, 90 in his 2nd, and if all went to plan he would be at 105 (close to full strength) for a playoff game (if the Reds get that far). You could also evaluate his two starts to see if you want him in the playoff rotation. You would also have the option of piggy backing Cueto with Leake if needed in the playoffs.

It might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think it's impossible either. Even if you can't stretch him that far, I think throwing Cueto for 75 pitchers (or 4-5 innings) is better than any amount of Reynolds.

It's really ashame he wasn't about 2 weeks ahead of where he is now.
    Last edited by reds44; 09-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hypothetically, lets say you put Cueto in the rotation now and you built up his arm by 15 pitches per start. Going off klw's chart, you could have him at 75 for his first start, 90 in his 2nd, and if all went to plan he would be at 105 (close to full strength) for a playoff game (if the Reds get that far). You could also evaluate his two starts to see if you want him in the playoff rotation. You would also have the option of piggy backing Cueto with Leake if needed in the playoffs.

It might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think it's impossible either. Even if you can't stretch him that far, I think throwing Cueto for 75 pitchers (or 4-5 innings) is better than any amount of Reynolds.

It's really ashame he wasn't about 2 weeks ahead of where he is now.
    If this is possible, I can see them attempting it. I just hope they don't push Cueto too fast, resulting in yet another injury that puts him on the DL.

At the very least if they can use Cueto for long-relief, think of what a great option that would be. To have someone like Cueto be able to come in and pitch in a situation like yesterday? Huge.

It depends on the health of Cingrani too. If Cingrani's back is fine, do you really need to push Cueto like that? Probably not. However considering this back thing is reoccuring, he went on the DL last time, and Dusty talked about skipping #5, I would say he's not fine.

I also really don't want Leake pitching in the playoffs.

Worst case is Cueto comes back as a reliever. I just don't know how much that really helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...granis-injury/
    Reds manager Dusty Baker said the back spasms that caused Tony Cingrani to leave Tuesday’s game was the same injury that put him on the disabled list last month.

“It’s the same thing, we’re not surprised,” Baker said. “We’re trying to decide whether he goes on the road with us initially or stays back here and gets therapy and see the chiropractor and all that stuff.”

Baker said he had yet to determine how he’ll change the rotation based on Cingrani’s absence. The Reds do have a luxury of three off days between now and the end of the season.

“We haven’t decided. You have to see which guys pitch better with extra days, some guys pitch worse, so we’ll let you know,” Baker said. “I know you all want to know this in advance, but we can’t give it to you. It’s subject to change because it depends on where we are in the standings and a lot of stuff. But that’s what you can do with the off days. You can change things around.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-i-feel-ready/

“He was throwing pretty good,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “It’s not surprising to me. Like I said, he’s so mechanically sound. He tired a little bit at the end, which is to be expected. It’s a matter of endurance. The velocity was pretty good. That’s the reason we had the radar gun out there. Where he dropped was in location some.”
    The next step?

“We’ll see how he comes out of this,” Baker said. “We’re trying to be optimistically cautious.”

Cueto says he’ll leave the decision to the Reds. But he thinks he is close.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It depends on what they’re going to do — the front office, the GM. They’re all going to sit down together. I don’t know what they’re going to do. I feel good. I feel ready. That’s their problem now.”
    Cueto worked both from the stretch and the windup this morning. He threw only from the stretch in his first session against live hitters.

“I was working on that,” Cueto said. “I was doing more from the windup. I don’t have the feeling yet. There’s a possibility I’ll be doing some changes.”

Cueto has slightly altered his exaggerated turn in the windup..

“It’s just a little different,” he said. “The difference is I’m saying more in front rather than doing the whole whole turn.”

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake

Chapman
    Marshall
    Hoover
    LeCure
    Parra
    Simon
    Cingrani

Playoff pitching staff

If we can get past the one game playoff, we will be a VERY dangerous team. Still can win the division, but it'll be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake
    I agree with this if Cueto is not injured, but I think you have to push him down the rankings behind Bailey at least given the current circumstances.

I wish he would just pitch out of the stretch full time until the offseason.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Leake

Chapman
    Marshall
    Hoover
    LeCure
    Parra
    Simon
    Cingrani

Playoff pitching staff

If we can get past the one game playoff, we will be a VERY dangerous team. Still can win the division, but it'll be tough.
    I doubt they would carry 12 pitchers on a postseason staff.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Turn Off Ads?