Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cueto throws BP

Re: Cueto throws BP

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well, I'd say a couple starts in the minors and then have him go for the WC game. He is our #1, don't want to hurt his feelings.
    Won't work. No way the Reds trade him to Pittsburgh or St. Louis, so he won't play in the WC game.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-09-2013), Edd Roush (09-09-2013), Razor Shines (09-08-2013), RedsLvr (09-09-2013), Revering4Blue (09-08-2013), SirFelixCat (09-09-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Won't work. No way the Reds trade him to Pittsburgh or St. Louis, so he won't play in the WC game.
    Lol. I like ridiculousness on top of ridiculousness.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well, I'd say a couple starts in the minors and then have him go for the WC game. He is our #1, don't want to hurt his feelings.
    I don't believe there are any minor league games still being played. Not by Reds' farm clubs anyway.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Maybe by minors he meant a couple starts against little leaguers?

You're Welcome

I've seen the reports of Cueto simplifying his wind-up... but the only time they've shown any video on TV, Cueto has been working out of the stretch.

Please tell me that those who are reporting on this know the difference. I'm a fairly thorough viewer of Reds games, but might have missed some footage on pregame shows or some such. Can anyone help inform us more clearly on what Cueto has really done with regards to the Tiant wind-up? Axed it? Slight modification? Nothing, because all we've seen is his stretch move?

FWIW, I'd be fine if he's only working out of the stretch right now, with the plan of activating him as a reliever. A man who can throw 30 pitches on September 8 is unlikely to be ready to throw 100 pitches on October 8... but man alive: imagine if his pitch count replaces Logan Ondrusek's in a hypothetical NLDS game.

I'll take it.

Rick

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I've seen the reports of Cueto simplifying his wind-up... but the only time they've shown any video on TV, Cueto has been working out of the stretch.

Please tell me that those who are reporting on this know the difference. I'm a fairly thorough viewer of Reds games, but might have missed some footage on pregame shows or some such. Can anyone help inform us more clearly on what Cueto has really done with regards to the Tiant wind-up? Axed it? Slight modification? Nothing, because all we've seen is his stretch move?

FWIW, I'd be fine if he's only working out of the stretch right now, with the plan of activating him as a reliever. A man who can throw 30 pitches on September 8 is unlikely to be ready to throw 100 pitches on October 8... but man alive: imagine if his pitch count replaces Logan Ondrusek's in a hypothetical NLDS game.

I'll take it.

Rick
    I like the idea. I don't think the Tiant thing did much of anything for him.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Maybe by minors he meant a couple starts against little leaguers?
    Well, the Astros *are* on the schedule coming up here...
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

If the Reds make it to an actual playoff series, I have to think its possible Cueto could get a start. He has almost a full month to get his endurance back up.

Now, you have to monitor him between now and then, and avoid setbacks, but if he is throwing well, I'd start him (and you have Cingrani available to put out a fire).

cueto will start a game again this year .. either against the astros cubs or mets

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Well, the Astros *are* on the schedule coming up here...
    Don't you dare go jinxing that series for me Monds! Grrrrrrr.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't you dare go jinxing that series for me Monds! Grrrrrrr.
    It's not a jinx if its the truth! See!:
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It's not a jinx if its the truth! See!:
    Tolkein brings the Hobbit to MLB.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If the Reds make it to an actual playoff series, I have to think its possible Cueto could get a start. He has almost a full month to get his endurance back up.

Now, you have to monitor him between now and then, and avoid setbacks, but if he is throwing well, I'd start him (and you have Cingrani available to put out a fire).
    I have a tough time seeing any situation where Cueto makes a playoff roster, other than as a bullpen arm.

And, frankly, the role you'd have Cueto fill is probably better suited going to Cingrani, who has pitched effectively out of the bullpen in stints this season.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I have a tough time seeing any situation where Cueto makes a playoff roster, other than as a bullpen arm.

And, frankly, the role you'd have Cueto fill is probably better suited going to Cingrani, who has pitched effectively out of the bullpen in stints this season.
    I will agree with part of this. I can't see Cueto coming out of the pen on a regular basis.

I know the minors are done for the year so no rehab starts. He's got a little under 4 weeks to get ready for a start in the NLDS (if he is healthy, which is my assumption for this thought). Shoot for that, and if it doesn't work out, fine.

Regarding minor league rehab, why don't major league teams keep their low level rookie seasons going through the third week in September? Their training facilities are open anyway. No one would attend, but then, no one attends those games anyway. It seems to me that the cost would be minimal.

Doing this would provide rehab opportunities for teams in the playoff hunt and could also be used to keep several borderline call ups active in the event of injury to a ML roster player in the closing weeks. Better to have those players swinging a bat than sitting on the bench in the majors. They could still get their call up the last week or two anyway.

In a typical year, about half the ML teams still have a shot at the playoffs until mid-September. For those that don't, there are still plenty of rookie level players to get in a little more work.

Turn Off Ads?