Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ken Griffey not a Reds HOF'er?

Re: Ken Griffey not a Reds HOF'er?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    According to Joe Posnanski's book "The Machine," Ken Griffey still bears a grudge against Joe Morgan. Griffey insists that Morgan refused to let him steal bases in front of him, because it disrupted Morgan's concentration at the plate. Griffey certainly had the speed to steal 70 bases a year, but he allegedly didn't get the green light because of Morgan.

Maybe he refused to wear the blazer as some kind of statement against Morgan.
    I need to read that book. I loved both players dearly back in the day. But this (along with a few other things) makes me think a lot less of KG. A lot of hitters don't like guys stealing in front of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I need to read that book. I loved both players dearly back in the day. But this (along with a few other things) makes me think a lot less of KG. A lot of hitters don't like guys stealing in front of them.
    Griffey has always been a little prickly. I assume there is some envy because he's not as popular as some from that team. That's probably where his son gets some of his own prickliness (is that a word?).
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Has always kind of amazed me that only Bench, Morgan and Perez (and Sparky) made Cooperstown.

Rose is, of course a special case.

But, from Geronimo, Concepcion, Griffey and Foster...nada. Wrong.
    Concepcion shoud be in the HOF. I always said if he played his career in NYC he would have been in. He's been lost in the glare of Morgan,Bench,Rose and Perez and not playing in a big media center.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    According to Joe Posnanski's book "The Machine," Ken Griffey still bears a grudge against Joe Morgan. Griffey insists that Morgan refused to let him steal bases in front of him, because it disrupted Morgan's concentration at the plate. Griffey certainly had the speed to steal 70 bases a year, but he allegedly didn't get the green light because of Morgan.

Maybe he refused to wear the blazer as some kind of statement against Morgan.
    perhaps he had problems to find it... or it was to small, or he uses it as pyjama...

kind of weird that itīs the 2nd thread about the clothes of the big red machine members

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'm a huge Davey fan, and think he does belong.

If Dave Concepcion belongs, so does Alan Trammel.

And Lou Whitaker, too.

If Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizutto are in the HoF, all 3 of those guys belong too.
    My favorite player when I was young was Dave Concepcion, and I am on the fence regarding putting him into the Hall of Fame. If I look at it emotionally he is in. If I look at it purely on his merits I think he just misses out.

Of the shortstops you mentioned I think Trammel should definitely be in the Hall of Fame. His numbers are almost identical to Barry Larkin's, who definitely deserves his place in the Hall of Fame.

I don't think Whitaker should make it. And I don't think Pee Wee Reese nor Phil Rizutto deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

I guess you could say I am a "small Hall" guy.

7. Likes:

Always Red (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    My favorite player when I was young was Dave Concepcion, and I am on the fence regarding putting him into the Hall of Fame. If I look at it emotionally he is in. If I look at it purely on his merits I think he just misses out.

Of the shortstops you mentioned I think Trammel should definitely be in the Hall of Fame. His numbers are almost identical to Barry Larkin's, who definitely deserves his place in the Hall of Fame.

I don't think Whitaker should make it. And I don't think Pee Wee Reese nor Phil Rizutto deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

My thoughts to a t.

You saved me a lot of typing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

My thoughts to a t.

You saved me a lot if typing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    My thoughts to a t.

You saved me a lot if typing.
    Ohhhh..... the irony of the infamous double post ghost rearing it's head here!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

RedlegJake (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ohhhh..... the irony of the infamous double post ghost rearing it's head here!
    I should edit it out as a moderator but the irony of leaving it be is just too perfect

13. Likes:

George Anderson (09-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?