Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Most exciting week of Reds baseball since 1999?

Most exciting week of Reds baseball since 1999?

I know the Reds had a 10-game winning streak last season, and a 22-3 stretch which was incredible and the best run by the Reds in my lifetime, but I think this past week has been one of the most exciting weeks as a Reds fan. This week almost compares to 1999 when the Reds went on a 10-game winning streak against the Astros (97 wins) and DBacks (100 wins) in 1999. It would be hard to top that stretch. What separates this week from the run last year is the fact that the Reds went 6-1 against two of the best teams in baseball. Very impressive.

The Reds just held two of the most potent offenses in baseball to 16 runs in seven games, two of which went to extra innings. We saw dominant pitching from Bailey, Chapman, and Latos, and Arroyo, Cingrani, Leake, and the bullpen all contributed with solid pitching as well.

We saw the debut of Billy Hamilton, the fastest man in baseball, and he's already won the Reds two games with his legs. He is such a joy to watch. If he hits like he did in 2012, the Reds have a superstar on their hands.

The schedule lets up for the next nine games (3 vs Cubs, 3 at Brewers, 3 at Astros). If the Reds go 6-3 or better, they could be in first place going into the series in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the excitement continues. I want the division title, because with this teams pitching, they could go deep in the playoffs.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (09-09-2013),Beltway (09-10-2013),Boss-Hog (09-09-2013),Crumbley (09-10-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-09-2013),joshua (09-09-2013),OC_Red (09-09-2013),RedEye (09-09-2013),REDREAD (09-10-2013),RichRed (09-09-2013),SirFelixCat (09-09-2013),SporkLover (09-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most exciting week of Reds baseball since 1999?

Please get on base, Billy. Please? This team will continue to be a joy to watch if that happens, IMO. I may have to take a tranquilizer to watch them play with that guy leading off next season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I know the Reds had a 10-game winning streak last season, and a 22-3 stretch which was incredible and the best run by the Reds in my lifetime, but I think this past week has been one of the most exciting weeks as a Reds fan. This week almost compares to 1999 when the Reds went on a 10-game winning streak against the Astros (97 wins) and DBacks (100 wins) in 1999. It would be hard to top that stretch. What separates this week from the run last year is the fact that the Reds went 6-1 against two of the best teams in baseball. Very impressive.

The Reds just held two of the most potent offenses in baseball to 16 runs in seven games, two of which went to extra innings. We saw dominant pitching from Bailey, Chapman, and Latos, and Arroyo, Cingrani, Leake, and the bullpen all contributed with solid pitching as well.

We saw the debut of Billy Hamilton, the fastest man in baseball, and he's already won the Reds two games with his legs. He is such a joy to watch. If he hits like he did in 2012, the Reds have a superstar on their hands.

The schedule lets up for the next nine games (3 vs Cubs, 3 at Brewers, 3 at Astros). If the Reds go 6-3 or better, they could be in first place going into the series in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the excitement continues. I want the division title, because with this teams pitching, they could go deep in the playoffs.
    Good post sir!

The Reds are in an exciting dogfight for a division title. Now is the time for their supporters to rally 'round and lend the team an edge. Time for the bandwagoners to jump back on board after falling of the wagon a couple weeks ago when the Reds had a rough stretch in St Louis and Denver.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-09-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-09-2013)

While I'm optimistic about the Reds we're going to need some quite mediocre teams to step it up against the Cardinals.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It was a great week of baseball. Let's hope they do not overlook the next 3 series. We need to play our game and not theirs. Definitely tired of series the lowly Brewers own us like they have this year. Perhaps Billy has sparked this team into decent offensive outings and the strong pitching is getting back Cueto likely pretty soon so we have that spark to look forward to as well.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Beating good teams by playing good baseball is always exciting. I think what differentiates this stretch from many prior stretches is the quality of baseball being played. It would be great if they were winning every game by 4 runs but it hasn't been that way. They are beating top notch pitchers and doing it in exciting fashion.

I do think the 2nd wild card will take a little away from this season. Barring an epic collapse the NL playoff teams are set. It will be the Dodgers and Braves winning their respective division then on of the Cards, Reds, or Pirates winning the Central and the other two taking the WC. It would have been a great stretch run to watch if the three Central teams were battling for 2 playoff slots. You would be able to feel the tension in Pittsburgh all the way down here in Cincy.

The Reds have the feeling of a team getting it all together right now. Votto went through his slump. Ludwick went through his slow start. Cueto and Marshall appear to be on the verge of coming back to the club. It looks like the Pirates are on fumes and the Reds just emphatically beat the Cards and Dodgers. The Reds right now are trending in the right direction. Do they have enough time to catch the Cards? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    While I'm optimistic about the Reds we're going to need some quite mediocre teams to step it up against the Cardinals.
    Oddly enough, mediocrity has been a bit of kryptonite historically for the Cards. For example, during 2010, the Pirates helped us out a bit on our title drive.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Here's the Cardinals remaining schedule:

3 vs Brewers
    3 vs Mariners
    4 at Rockies
    3 at Brewers
    3 vs Nationals
    3 vs Cubs

Amazingly, the Cardinals somehow miss Gallardo, Lohse, and Felix Hernandez in their upcoming series.

The Rockies are 41-31 at home, so hopefully they can pull a couple games out vs the Cardinals. The Nationals have had a disappointing season, but with their pitching they can be dangerous at times.

Anyone else wish the Reds hadn't agreed to play that make up game against the Giants in San Francisco? That was the only game the Reds lost in that series. That could prove to be huge in the end.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    It was a great week of baseball. Let's hope they do not overlook the next 3 series. We need to play our game and not theirs. Definitely tired of series the lowly Brewers own us like they have this year. Perhaps Billy has sparked this team into decent offensive outings and the strong pitching is getting back Cueto likely pretty soon so we have that spark to look forward to as well.
    This is the key. I also agree that this past week was at least as exciting as any in the past decade.

But now I'm very nervous about any complacency seeping in over the next 9 games. We really need to roll those; say 7 of 9 if not better. And, eliminated teams, not playing for anything, are like wounded snakes. I don't think our guys will make that mistake. They won't let up. But I am a bit nervous.

As for the Cards, if we win tonight vs the Cubs, we'll be just a single game off the lead. That pretty much makes it an even footrace to the finish line. Yes, can argue our schedule is tougher with 6 against Pittsburgh but I'm not so sure about that. The Rockies, Brewers and Nationals should all be good candidates to take a few from St Louis.

No reason in the world why we can't take this division at the buzzer. And, if we do, that'd put some serious icing of excitement on the cake of last week.

Buckle up; this is going to be a ton of fun, can't-miss, Reds baseball.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

I tend to agree with this post. Easily the most inspiring baseball the Reds have played all year long IMO.

I had really hoped that the Pirates were going to win at least 1 game against St. Louis to keep the division lead closer. Heck, I wouldn't have complained if the Pirates had won 2 games or even swept. With the Reds playing Pittsburgh for 6, at least their fate would've rested less on the Cards losing games against other opponents.

It's an exciting time, but the Reds must play great baseball against the remaining bad opponents. If they do that and play at least .500 ball against the Pirates...they should finish in at least 2nd place. I still think winning the division will be tough, but possible depending on STL.

Have to agree with the OP. Best week of baseball for the Reds in quite some time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Agreed. So much fun to follow this past week. Keep it up, Redlegs!

That 1999 team got me buying tickets as much as possible. Different point in my life then. This run has got me wanting to buy tickets but too many family/work duties.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Nice thing is that with 6 games left with the Pirates, we have a reasonable shot of securing the homefield advantage in the WC game.

This is why I always rooted for Pitt to beat STL. STL is going to be very difficult to catch. Too bad Pitt got swept by the Cards last week.

But yea, that run against Stl and LA was one of the most exciting weeks ever.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I would throw that seven-game winning streak in August of 2010 in there somewhere. A three-game sweep by the Cardinals, which featured "The Fight", preceded it. And the Reds played, IMO, scared baseball during that series. Said series was very deflating. And then came seven straight wins that lifted the team from one game down to 4.5 games up. That streak propelled the team to its first playoff appearance in a long time and closed the curtain on the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?