Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made of

  1. #16
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They will go with a 4 man rotation if they make it to the best of 5 format. Dusty has done that in the past 2 series. If I were a betting man I think he slots it Latos, Arroyo, and then Bailey. I would go with Cingrani but I think Dusty will go with Leake.
    So what about Cueto, does he go to the pen? Tough choice I would think.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I can't believe how different the current edition of this team is than every previous one I have rooted for. I never thought I'd see a Reds team with this much pitching talent or depth. Truly a credit to the organization, top to bottom. And, as Brutus points out, the hitters ain't half bad either.
    To be honest, if someone had told me at the beginning of the year that the Reds would:

    - not get Masset back at all
    - lose Broxton to a season-ending injury after previous injuries through the year
    - lose Marshall for basically the entire regular season
    - have Chapman struggle to keep an ERA under 3.00
    - get barely a half-dozen starts out of Cueto
    - consequently rely on Manny Parra to be an asset in the bullpen

    ...I'd have been absolutely terrified of whether the Reds could stay afloat. Not that I wouldn't expect the rest of the starting rotation to be fine, but the bullpen would especially scare me. Just amazing how effective they've been, especially in the pen, despite the injuries and inconsistency of Chapman.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  4. Likes:

    RedEye (09-09-2013), Revering4Blue (09-09-2013)

  5. #18
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Don't walk guys. Strike guys out. Success.

    The Reds starting staff, aside from Cingrani, are all showing very good or great walk rates. That is huge. Latos, Bailey and Cingrani are showing very good to elite strikeout rates.

    The bullpen is pretty good too.

    I hate the idea of being in a 1-game playoff though. One bad game ruins all of that. Let's just get the division and avoid the chance that it could work out that way.
    So true, Doug.

    K/BB rate by team, MLB

    1. CIN 3.19
    2. DET 3.04
    3. WSN 2.97
    4. ATL 2.88
    5. LAD 2.86
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,175

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Other than the top names, the pitching heroes IMO are Cingrani, Hoover, and Parra. All three really stepped up when the chips were down. The bullen struggled for awhile, but Hoover and Parra came on strong and picked it up.

    IMO, the defensive hero is Choo. He has a bad range rating on UZR and so that measure is low. But I've seen at least one other measure that gives him very high marks for his outfield play. I noted it in my 140 game recap.

    This is a great example of Jocketty thinking out of the box. Not sure most teams would have put Choo in CF. Yet while he isn't that fast he has played a very solid CF.

    In terms of offense, I don't think the Reds need to be worldbeaters. They have to continue to find ways to score against top level pitching, as they did this past week.

  7. Likes:

    1940757690 (09-09-2013), vaticanplum (09-09-2013)

  8. #20
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,158

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

    K/BB rate by team
    1. CIN 3.19
    That is bananas at this point in the season. Totally bananas.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  9. Likes:

    1940757690 (09-09-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (09-09-2013)

  10. #21
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,137

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That is bananas at this point in the season. Totally bananas.
    Yep...and I like 'dem bananas. That's been a stat I've pointed to all season long. It's certainly been the key for Bronson & Leake (limiting the walks mainly).
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  11. #22
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That is bananas at this point in the season. Totally bananas.
    Sing it, Stefani.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. Likes:

    dougdirt (09-09-2013)

  13. #23
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,574

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Other than the top names, the pitching heroes IMO are Cingrani, Hoover, and Parra. All three really stepped up when the chips were down. The bullen struggled for awhile, but Hoover and Parra came on strong and picked it up.

    IMO, the defensive hero is Choo. He has a bad range rating on UZR and so that measure is low. But I've seen at least one other measure that gives him very high marks for his outfield play. I noted it in my 140 game recap.

    This is a great example of Jocketty thinking out of the box. Not sure most teams would have put Choo in CF. Yet while he isn't that fast he has played a very solid CF.

    In terms of offense, I don't think the Reds need to be worldbeaters. They have to continue to find ways to score against top level pitching, as they did this past week.
    The thing is, one would be hard pressed to point to solid examples where Choo's D has been a game changer. It seems like the Reds have done with D here (Offensive output > drag on D) the same as they have successfully done with D > drag on O with Cozart, and like Chilli and Cheese fries at Skyline, its the perfect combination. Ok, maybe not perfect, but at least its fielding a very good baseball team.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #24
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,553

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So true, Doug.

    K/BB rate by team, MLB

    1. CIN 3.19
    2. DET 3.04
    3. WSN 2.97
    4. ATL 2.88
    5. LAD 2.86
    Arroyo over 4.15....rest of the staff pulling it down.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  15. Likes:

    Brutus (09-10-2013)

  16. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,794

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The pieces are all in place. I think the fans are starting to see the prize is out there to be taken. The charge is beginning!
    God I hope so.

  17. Likes:

    RedEye (09-09-2013)

  18. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    127

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    The Reds pitching is in much better shape than the Pirates and Cardinals.

    The Pirates pitching staff has had a great year so far, but the bullpen has been overworked, and some guys are falling back to earth. Plus when the playoffs come around, their inexperience might be a problem.

    The Cards have been putting a patchwork pitching staff together all season. It is amazing that they have so many quality arms, but they have problems. Wainwright is the only given on the staff and he's been knocked around pretty good lately (mostly by the Reds). Lynn has been faltering and so has Shelby Miller. On top of it all Miller and Wacha are quickly approaching their inning limits. If they each make 3-4 more starts in the regular season and a couple more in the playoffs, they will be in uncharted territory in terms of inning counts. Anytime Westbrook makes a start is a good thing for the Pirates and Reds.

    The reds have two aces, Latos and Bailey, with experience. It looks like they can bring in a third ace, Cueto, for long relief whenever they need it. Cingrani has been great, but even if he's not starting, he can bolster the bullpen and there are two more quality starters in Arroyo and Leake that can take the ball. Reds are a little weak in the bullpen, but with possibly Cueto and Marshall coming back soon, it could be very solid. Chapman has been tearing up hitters since he had the one week rest.

    Pitching, defense and timely hitting win championships. Timely hitting seems to determine whether the Reds will go far. It helps that the Reds can manufacture a run with Billy Hamilton around now.

  19. Likes:

    SporkLover (09-10-2013)

  20. #27
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    My question would be, what happens come the playoffs with the rotation and then those that don't make it? Do we go 3 man or 4 man rotation? With the days off I think we could go 3 man rotation, man that would be stacked!!! Latos and Bailey, then who. Gonna be some interesting decisions in the next couple weeks that need to be made. Great time to be a Reds fan!!!
    1 - Latos
    2 - Arroyo
    3 - Bailey

    Leake and Cingrani out of the pen.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  21. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    532

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    The Reds pitching is in much better shape than the Pirates and Cardinals.

    The Pirates pitching staff has had a great year so far, but the bullpen has been overworked, and some guys are falling back to earth. Plus when the playoffs come around, their inexperience might be a problem.

    The Cards have been putting a patchwork pitching staff together all season. It is amazing that they have so many quality arms, but they have problems. Wainwright is the only given on the staff and he's been knocked around pretty good lately (mostly by the Reds). Lynn has been faltering and so has Shelby Miller. On top of it all Miller and Wacha are quickly approaching their inning limits. If they each make 3-4 more starts in the regular season and a couple more in the playoffs, they will be in uncharted territory in terms of inning counts. Anytime Westbrook makes a start is a good thing for the Pirates and Reds.

    The reds have two aces, Latos and Bailey, with experience. It looks like they can bring in a third ace, Cueto, for long relief whenever they need it. Cingrani has been great, but even if he's not starting, he can bolster the bullpen and there are two more quality starters in Arroyo and Leake that can take the ball. Reds are a little weak in the bullpen, but with possibly Cueto and Marshall coming back soon, it could be very solid. Chapman has been tearing up hitters since he had the one week rest.

    Pitching, defense and timely hitting win championships. Timely hitting seems to determine whether the Reds will go far. It helps that the Reds can manufacture a run with Billy Hamilton around now.
    The crazy thing is that going back to July the Bucs and Cards pitching looked soooo dominant. Reds were solid, just didn't look as good. Bucs rotation has the same problems the Cards had.... Starting rotation running into rough patch and losing steam. The Cards more so than the Bucs had depth and a strong bullpen to fall back on. The Reds staff was just even keeled the whole way..... If anything the Bullpen was shaky at times, but the starters seemed to always to be able to turnover a good game to the BP making their job a bit easier. The progression of the season has certainly been something! I can't really remember a season like it, with three division rivals slugging it out so closely through the entire season.

  22. #29
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    1 - Latos
    2 - Arroyo
    3 - Bailey

    Leake and Cingrani out of the pen.
    I think that is what they will go with, but man, I think Latos then Bailey/Cingrani in either order would be killer. I know they would probly want Arroyo just because of experience, but with the way that Cingrani has pitched this year those 3 could be amazing!

  23. #30
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Reds pitching: stuff championships are made of

    I think Arroyo will get lit up in the playoffs. Baker better have a quick hook when he pitches, IMO. If Cueto can't make it back, I'd go with some form of Latos, Bailey and Cingrani.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25