Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie pitching summit

Rookie pitching summit

Found this blurb on the Columbus Dispatch site today. Nothing big here, I just found it interesting that they still consider Sampson a prospect, and that Davis is considered far enough along to be in the mix.

Now that the Cincinnati Reds’ future has been turned over to a small army of young pitching prospects — and on-the-mend veteran Homer Bailey — manager Bryan Price, pitching coach Mark Riggins, assistant pitching coach Mack Jenkins and Bailey had a summit with their top prospects last month.

Rookie pitchers started a major-league record 64 straight games to end the season, and they went 20-44 with a 4.62 ERA.

"We didn't pitch as well as I had hoped with that group of young guys," Price told MLB.com. "We need to get them up to speed with the expectations, how we're going to get there, how to prepare and what we're about with the Reds at the big-league level.”

Anthony DeSclafani, Raisel Iglesias, Michael Lorenzen, John Lamb, Keyvius Sampson, Cody Reed, Robert Stephenson, Brandon Finnegan and Rookie Davis attended.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...rumblings.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rookie pitching summit

Here's an article about the summit from the official Reds website:

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/1...itching-summit

Here's the part that really caught my eye:

A couple of the meetings were led by Bailey, who will be the rotation's most-tenured starter when he returns from Tommy John surgery rehabilitation in May.
    That may become the most important part of this season. Not only is it important to the younger pitchers, but it goes to show just how far Homer Bailey has come in his own journey to maturity.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Mark Sheldon had written about it a couple of days ago.

"We need to get them up to speed with the expectations, how we're going to get there, how to prepare and what we're about with the Reds at the big league level," Price said. "It was really intensive discussions about what is greatness, how do we achieve it, how do we gain consistency and unity, how do we connect as a group and push each other towards the ultimate goal of winning a World Series."
    Since it was still mid-January, it was too early for bullpen mound sessions during the summit. The pitchers threw off flat ground, did their workouts and lifted weights. A couple of the meetings were led by Bailey, who will be the rotation's most-tenured starter when he returns from Tommy John surgery rehabilitation in May.
    "It was awesome," said Davis, who was acquired from the Yankees in December's trade for closer Aroldis Chapman. "It was the first time I've met some of those guys and seen some of them play. I met [president of baseball operations] Walt Jocketty and was around Homer and some of the guys that played in the big leagues last year, the pitching coaches and everyone. The talent in the room was unquestionable."
    That Homer was giving presentations is the coolest part about this for me. Glad to see he has so embraced that "elder" teacher role.

Here is the group, from the Lorenzen tweet.

The more time Price spends being a pitching coach, the better.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

6. Likes:

757690 (02-05-2016),BillDoran (02-05-2016),Chuckie (02-05-2016),CySeymour (02-05-2016),Edd Roush (02-05-2016),kbrake (02-05-2016),OnBaseMachine (02-05-2016),RedlegJake (02-05-2016),Redsfaithful (02-06-2016),Rojo (02-05-2016),Spider Tre (02-06-2016),Tom Servo (02-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Here's an article about the summit from the official Reds website:

Here's the part that really caught my eye:

That may become the most important part of this season. Not only is it important to the younger pitchers, but it goes to show just how far Homer Bailey has come in his own journey to maturity.
    Ha ha ha. Could your post be more like mine? Darn you and your faster typing!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Found this blurb on the Columbus Dispatch site today. Nothing big here, I just found it interesting that they still consider Sampson a prospect, and that Davis is considered far enough along to be in the mix.
    This bit from the Enquirer was out late last month about Sampson, which I was unaware of:

Just three days after the end of the season, right-hander Keyvius Sampson had surgery to clean out loose bodies in his right elbow.

Sampson, 25, was 2-6 with a 6.54 ERA in 13 games and 12 starts last season, his first in the big leagues and his first in the Reds organization.

Sampson started the season on the disabled list in the minors with elbow issues, and he said he never quite felt 100 percent.

“There were times my parents and my agent would call and they could see I wasn’t getting fully extended and I didn’t look like I was 100 percent,” Sampson said.

Sampson said he’s feeling much better now and is ready to get to spring training.

“It was all year, so I just gave what I could,” Sampson said. “I still got up here (to the big leagues), luckily enough. This year I’ll be 100 percent so I can show people my best stuff and give myself a better chance.”
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-05-2016)

That's great news about Homer taking on a leadership role.

As for Iglesias, I'm very high on him. Hopefully the Reds are loading him up with protein shakes and locking him in the weight room. As he gets stronger, he's going to be a beast. El Duque 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The more time Price spends being a pitching coach, the better.
    Lol. I'll admit I was in favor of promoting him to manager. That's how much I loved him as pitching coach. Figured he would get a managerial job elsewhere and didn't want to lose him. In retrospect, would have been nice if the Reds paid him big money to be just the pitching coach, but found the club a real manager. Now, after 2016 most likely, Price will be fired and the 2017 Reds will not only need to find a new manager, but a new pitching coach.

Anyway, pretty dumb on my part for thinking after the 2013 season that promoting Price was the right move.

Telling, IMO, that Moscot wasn't among the group involved.

Might mean he's considered AAA insurance. Might mean he couldn't get a plane ticket.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Telling, IMO, that Moscot wasn't among the group involved.

Might mean he's considered AAA insurance. Might mean he couldn't get a plane ticket.
    Jon Moscot was absolutely, 100% there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jon Moscot was absolutely, 100% there.
    Well then. Nevermind.
    Name:  roseanne-roseannadanna.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  106.9 KB

15. Likes:

redsmetz (02-05-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Well then. Nevermind.
    Name:  roseanne-roseannadanna.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  106.9 KB
    Man, you look a lot different than I expected.....

17. Likes:

redsmetz (02-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Man, you look a lot different than I expected.....
    and more dead than I expected

This thread is great so far. Begins with good information ... and now I'm literally laughing out loud.

Keep it going gents, this is a rare one. (Sure beats debating whether hosting the All-Star Game helps sell tickets -- in a thread that's not even about that topic.)

If everybody in the photo can give the REDS around 80 innings that should keep them all healthy wealthy and wise.

Turn Off Ads?