Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Former Red...

Resident PED Expert

Former Red...

Wladimer Balentien about to break Japan's all time HR mark...

I always felt he had solid ML projection. I really wish the Reds would have given him more of an opportunity.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/96...tie-japan-mark
    Last edited by nemesis; 09-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former Red...

This is off topic, but reading your second signature makes me think you need to read the 'best hamburger' thread.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I always felt he had solid ML projection. I really wish the Reds would have given him more of an opportunity.
    Same here. I can remember looking over his MiLB numbers and thinking just that.

And the one year he was with the Reds (at age 24) was pretty decent:

.264 .352 .427 .779

Similar story to EE in that respect. Reds didn't know or appreciate what they actually had in these kids.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I was a big Wlad fan, but complaining about letting a hitter go who then dominates in Japan is ridiculous. Know who else are among the best hitters in Japan this year? Lastings Milledge, Matt Murton, Tony Blanco, Casey McGehee, Esteban Greman, Jose Lopez, and Hector Luna.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

BillDoran (09-11-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I was a big Wlad fan, but complaining about letting a hitter go who then dominates in Japan is ridiculous. Know who else are among the best hitters in Japan this year? Lastings Milledge, Matt Murton, Tony Blanco, Casey McGehee, Esteban Greman, Jose Lopez, and Hector Luna.
    Yep. Put all 8 in one lineup and you couldn't beat Houston. But they are destroying Japan.

8. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-11-2013),dubc47834 (09-11-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-11-2013)

They are playing in Japan for a reason. And It's not because they like the sushi either. I wonder if the Japanese pitchers will pitch to Balentein the rest of the season? In the past when an American was on the cusp of breaking Oh's record they quit pitching to them. Either they would hit the batter or walk him every time up.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not really a complaint about it. Just saying he never really got a opportunity to prove he could put up solid #'s long term in Cincy. As terrible as the Reds LF situation has been for basically almost 3 / 4 years it would have been nice to given the guy a chance to prove he could have been better than the current crop same ole the Reds keep rolling out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yep. Put all 8 in one lineup and you couldn't beat Houston. But they are destroying Japan.
    I'd put serious money on these guys over the Astros.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They are playing in Japan for a reason. And It's not because they like the sushi either. I wonder if the Japanese pitchers will pitch to Balentein the rest of the season? In the past when an American was on the cusp of breaking Oh's record they quit pitching to them. Either they would hit the batter or walk him every time up.
    Yes, both Cincinnati's own Tuffy Rhodes, and Alex Cabrera. I think they were "permitted" to tie, but not break the record.

I think there are about 20 games left in the Japanese season- that's a lot of walks!
    sorry we're boring

See, I thought for sure this thread would be about Les Scarsella.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Lastings Milledge, Matt Murton, Tony Blanco, Casey McGehee, Esteban Greman, Jose Lopez, and Hector Luna
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    You would have a problem covering all the defensive positions, but I think that team might actually be able to compete offensively against the Astros.

I get what you are saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Not really a complaint about it. Just saying he never really got a opportunity to prove he could put up solid #'s long term in Cincy. As terrible as the Reds LF situation has been for basically almost 3 / 4 years it would have been nice to given the guy a chance to prove he could have been better than the current crop same ole the Reds keep rolling out there.
    I would like to think he' be better than Heisey, Paul, and Robinson.
    Too early to tell on Ludwick after his injury.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He simply has too many games left for them to not pitch to him. He is averaging a home run better than every other game (55 homers, 109 games). They aren't going to walk him 90 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Same here. I can remember looking over his MiLB numbers and thinking just that.

And the one year he was with the Reds (at age 24) was pretty decent:

.264 .352 .427 .779

Similar story to EE in that respect. Reds didn't know or appreciate what they actually had in these kids.
    I wonder if, in a few years, we'll be saying the same about others that were sent packing. Players we wouldn't possibly think that about right now? Like Stubbs, et al.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Japan also juiced their ball before the start of this season.

Turn Off Ads?