Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Decisions for playoffs and next year for CF

Decisions for playoffs and next year for CF

Although it appears I was wrong in that the Cardinals would be out of the race for the NL Central title by September, I still think the Reds can pull out the division.

However, if the Reds end up in a one game playoff against the Pirates or Cards, who would you start and who do you think the other team would start?

My co-workers (Cards fans) claim that they would go with Joe Kelly if they played the Reds and Wainwright if they played the Pirates.

I would assume the Pirates go with Liriano no matter who they play.

Do the Reds go with Latos or would you go with Cueto or TC if they make it back in time?

I haven't been able to watch but about 30 Reds games this year, and Latos seems to have the best stuff for the postseason. Another question is do you roll the dice with Arroyo or Leake in the one game playoff and try and save Latos for games 1 and 5 for the NLDS? It would be a gamble, but if it worked it would make for a better chance against the Braves or the Dodgers. Just a thought.

Also, I think it's clear that Choo is gone and Hamilton is our CF next year. He may only hit .250, but what he can do on the bases is unreal. Turning 100 singles into doubles shouldn't be much of a stretch. In the end, I think he at least steals as many bases as Tim Raines and more than likely ends up second to Rickey Henderson if he stays healthy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Decisions for playoffs and next year for CF

In a potential wild card play-in game, I'd go with Latos against St. Louis and Bailey against Pittsburgh. Bailey seems to absolutely own the Pirates, even in their stadium.

As far as CF goes, it's starting to look like teams with money to spend (Mets, Mariners, etc.) are starting to show some interest in Choo, so it's doubtful that he'll be back no matter how much I'd like for it to be so.

In the event that Choo is not back, I think Hamilton still has some mechanical issues with his swing and could use additional development time. He looks pretty fluid from the right side but can get a little out in front when he's hitting lefty. I think the Reds would be wise to pick up a veteran LH hitting outfielder (DeJesus?) to platoon with Heisey in the event that Hamilton isn't ready. I don't think it would be all that wise to make another major trade given the current state of the system.

4. Likes:

Dwarftree (09-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    In a potential wild card play-in game, I'd go with Latos against St. Louis and Bailey against Pittsburgh. Bailey seems to absolutely own the Pirates, even in their stadium.

As far as CF goes, it's starting to look like teams with money to spend (Mets, Mariners, etc.) are starting to show some interest in Choo, so it's doubtful that he'll be back no matter how much I'd like for it to be so.

In the event that Choo is not back, I think Hamilton still has some mechanical issues with his swing and could use additional development time. He looks pretty fluid from the right side but can get a little out in front when he's hitting lefty. I think the Reds would be wise to pick up a veteran LH hitting outfielder (DeJesus?) to platoon with Heisey in the event that Hamilton isn't ready. I don't think it would be all that wise to make another major trade given the current state of the system.
    Did you pick my mind? I was about to write more or less the same stuff in every regard

I read the other day that Franklin Guiterrez was rumored to be coming here for next year to play CF not lead-off just centerfield

To me, you can't assume moving on, so I'd put the guy on the hill that gives the team the best chance to win without regard to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    I read the other day that Franklin Guiterrez was rumored to be coming here for next year to play CF not lead-off just centerfield
    Gutierrez is made of glass and isn't very good to begin with. I certainly hope the Reds don't go in that direction. I'd like to see someone more dependable out there.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-13-2013)

However, if the Reds end up in a one game playoff against the Pirates or Cards, who would you start and who do you think the other team would start?

I would start Latos regardless of the opponent. He is now our ace, and there will not be an option to get cute with saving him for the next series. It will be a one game win or go home, unfortunately. I'd love to see us win the division, but the Cards have the most favorable schedule.

I don't think that the Cards would start Wainwright against us, due to his last two starts versus the Reds. I think that you are correct in your opinion that the Pirates would start Liriano.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (09-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson33 View Post

I would start Latos regardless of the opponent. He is now our ace, and there will not be an option to get cute with saving him for the next series. It will be a one game win or go home, unfortunately. I'd love to see us win the division, but the Cards have the most favorable schedule.

I don't think that the Cards would start Wainwright against us, due to his last two starts versus the Reds. I think that you are correct in your opinion that the Pirates would start Liriano.
    The Cardinals are going to start Wainwright no matter what unless he can't go because he's needed at the end of the season. He won't go on short rest, but other than that it will be Wainwright. You live and die with your Ace every time in a one game playoff. Wainwright was tipping pitches against the Reds and now that he's identified what he was doing he's back to being Wainwright again.

If Wainwright is rested the Cardinals are gunna give him the ball in a 1 game playoff no matter who they are playing. Even though the Reds have beat up on Wainwright this season you bet your butt they don't want to see him in a 1 game playoff.

Kelly has not started 1 big game in his career, Wainwright is known as a big game pitcher. It just wouldn't be acceptable for them to lose a game with Wainwright on the bench.

Haha tell your coworkers they are fringe Cardinal fans if they think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by GotHeeeeem View Post
    If Wainwright is rested the Cardinals are gunna give him the ball in a 1 game playoff no matter who they are playing. Even though the Reds have beat up on Wainwright this season you bet your butt they don't want to see him in a 1 game playoff.

Kelly has not started 1 big game in his career, Wainwright is known as a big game pitcher. It just wouldn't be acceptable for them to lose a game with Wainwright on the bench.

Haha tell your coworkers they are fringe Cardinal fans if they think otherwise.
    There's rumors now that Kelly will be in the bullpen in October. The thinking is that Lynn looks to have corrected himself and that they'll have a real short leash with Miller, Wacha, and Lynn so a good long reliever may be important. The Cardinals won their last two world series with make shift rotations and dominant bullpens so their may be some merit to that line of thinking.

So now that it's pretty clear who will be playing in the WC game, who do you think will be sent to the mound? Latos? Bailey? Does home field advantage make a difference?

Who will they send out? Liriano?
    Reds record for games attended in 2014: 11-3

Most memorable game attended this season:
    Cueto out-pitching Dickey with a 19 pitch/3 strikeout 9th inning by Chapman

Turn Off Ads?