Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox One and PS4... 4K Television Discussion

Xbox One and PS4... 4K Television Discussion

Anyone else taken the plunge into the next generation of gaming?

I actually had them both pre-ordered but decided to keep the XOne and sell my PS4 and pick it up at a later date.

The exclusive launch lineup for XOne is quite a bit superior to the PS4, IMO.

The graphics are simply stunning. The XOne has support for 4K televisions as well (assuming PS4 does as well) ... this generation of consoles are going to put out some amazing looking games.

I'm hoping to buy a 4K t.v. sometime in the spring in advance of the next World Cup... if you haven't seen what 4K t.v. looks like yet, do yourself a favor and have a look next time at Best Buy.

There isn't a ton of 4K content available right now, but it's coming soon. Greater than 2X the resolution of 1080p... it will make the biggest difference on t.v.'s greater than 60".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Xbox One and PS4... 4K Television Discussion

I like Playstation exclusives so I will be getting the PS4. Both are awesome tho, can't really go wrong with either. The bugs will get ironed out in no time.

As far as 4k gaming, I wouldn't make a decision based on that alone for a few reasons. 4k video support would be the most likely scenario for both, even tho Microsoft is saying there will be 4K gaming for the One. It doesn't have the graphics power to support that kinda gaming at gaming fps tho. Unless you'd need to buy additional hardware to get 4K gaming I don't see how it's possible. It could also take 1080p gaming and upscale it to 3840x2160, but again I highly doubt either console has the hardware to handle that.

If you want legit 4K gaming a PC is the only realistic option at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like Playstation exclusives so I will be getting the PS4. Both are awesome tho, can't really go wrong with either. The bugs will get ironed out in no time.

As far as 4k gaming, I wouldn't make a decision based on that alone for a few reasons. 4k video support would be the most likely scenario for both, even tho Microsoft is saying there will be 4K gaming for the One. It doesn't have the graphics power to support that kinda gaming at gaming fps tho. Unless you'd need to buy additional hardware to get 4K gaming I don't see how it's possible. It could also take 1080p gaming and upscale it to 3840x2160, but again I highly doubt either console has the hardware to handle that.

If you want legit 4K gaming a PC is the only realistic option at the moment.
    I'm guessing it would involve considerable hard drive installations...

even upscaled to 4k will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm guessing it would involve considerable hard drive installations...

even upscaled to 4k will be awesome.
    Right now to get good 4K gaming you need to drop about 1000 bucks on a GTX Titan graphics card lol. That or use dual very high end cards. It's not affordable enough to become mainstream yet, nothing about 4K is. The issue with upscaling would be the performance at that level. Movies are ok at 30 fps, games not so much. Still tho, at 1080p both consoles will look great.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

4K is freaking wonderful. I have actually shot videos in 4K a few times and the quality is just stunning. I wish I could do it at home, but as stray noted, the stuff you need to be able to handle it is expensive as can be (not to mention the price of the cameras that can actually shoot it - my current camera can shoot a little higher than 1920x1080 in uncompressed format, and there are still software and hardware tweaks coming that could improve it, and even that alone is producing incredibly images/video. 4K is amazing and you can get some truly great deals on some offbrand 4K TV's right now. Amazon had some for under $500 for a 39" model earlier this week. The 50" models were under $700. I wish I had the money for one of those things right now.

But yeah, if you haven't experienced 4K before and get a chance to do so with something actually shot in 4K.... bring an extra pair of pants.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What...ah...type of things you filming at home, Doug?

8. Likes:

dougdirt (11-25-2013),MikeThierry (11-29-2013),PedroBourbon (11-26-2013),Razor Shines (12-18-2013),Superdude (11-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    What...ah...type of things you filming at home, Doug?
    Haha!

I do a lot of multimedia work. Picture/video production type of stuff as a freelance guy during the summer. Mostly action sports stuff. But I was more saying I wish I had the ability to view that stuff at home or shoot it while out and about. My monitor at home is only 2K, and while I can downscale the footage, it isn't the same. Being able to shoot in 4K, you could upscale that a little bit and be able to work a little bit more with the footage in terms of adding movement to the footage to get a smoother pan. I'm a nerd.

10. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-26-2013)

4K is amazing. Even tho our eyes can't tell the difference at normal couch distances, the color reproduction is unbelievable, so you're seeing a picture that looks better than anything you've ever seen on a TV. I can't wait till there's more native 4K content available (especially from cable providers who don't really have a plan yet) so the market can take off.

The Sony XBR line isn't a terrible deal now tho. They have a 4K media player that lets you download from a selection of 4K movie titles. To get the TV and media player you'll prolly spend $5000 bucks so it isn't cheap. Although it'd almost be worth it just to see Lawrence of Arabia in true 4k lol.

If nothing else, at least we can thank 4K for having a hand in dropping the prices on awesome 1080p TVs.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm holding off on buying one of the next-gen systems until the libraries mature a little bit.

I'm troubled by the reports that the XB1 can't do 1080p native resolution on some of it's games. I'd like to see how that shakes out before I commit to anything as well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm troubled by the reports that the XB1 can't do 1080p native resolution on some of it's games.
    It takes an expensive GPU to run full HD games smoothly, these publishers are trying to figure out how to do it on machines with budget hardware.

When it all gets ironed out the Playstation 4 will win the better graphics war. Both machines come with Radeon graphics cards, but the Playstation's is much much better. Game designers have more to work with when they're trying to make a native 1080p game for a Playstation than they do with the Xbox.

Do 4K TVs make any difference while watching feeds you get from cable, satellite or OTA broadcasts? I'm thinking that such pictures would be limited by the feed. How 'bout motion blurring? When HDTV first came out, the issue wasn't clarity when filming a flower in a garden but blurring when following the flight of a football.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do 4K TVs make any difference while watching feeds you get from cable, satellite or OTA broadcasts? I'm thinking that such pictures would be limited by the feed. How 'bout motion blurring? When HDTV first came out, the issue wasn't clarity when filming a flower in a garden but blurring when following the flight of a football.
    Cable and satellite would all have to be upscaled. It will look better no doubt, but not nearly as good as native 4k.

A lot of the UHDTVs have anti blurring technology built in, but with upscaled live content and slow refresh rates there's a good chance you'd get some blur.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Cable and satellite would all have to be upscaled. It will look better no doubt, but not nearly as good as native 4k.

A lot of the UHDTVs have anti blurring technology built in, but with upscaled live content and slow refresh rates there's a good chance you'd get some blur.
    That's about what I figured. I'd love to get me some ultra hi def but since I don't do many movies (no Blu ray player) or games (no gaming station of any kind), I don't think I'd benefit much from it at this point. I mainly use my TV to watch live sports

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I can't believe I'm a semi-gamer. My four year old has turned me into one.

Love, love, my PS3 and I love blu rays....

The Batman Arkham games are a freaking blast.

19. Likes:

Razor Shines (12-18-2013),toledodan (12-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's about what I figured. I'd love to get me some ultra hi def but since I don't do many movies (no Blu ray player) or games (no gaming station of any kind), I don't think I'd benefit much from it at this point. I mainly use my TV to watch live sports
    Even if you had a blu-ray play it wouldn't make much difference. Blu-Rays are just 1080p and while they can be upscaled, they won't be true 4K. Right now, most things 4K are going to be found online.

Turn Off Ads?