Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Reds-vs-Brewers-09/13/2013

Re: Reds-vs-Brewers-09/13/2013

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Anyone notice the Mariners couldn't draw 10,000 the other night?
    Yes. Same story in Cleveland.

And, Ms melted. Cards win 2-1 on a passed ball bottom 10.

Just a garbage night of baseball.

The sun will shine tomorrow. It simply must.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cards getting to second on a routine missed pop up was big.

Cards score on a passed ball that barely gets away.

Cards score by busting down line to beat out a DP

Cards played like crap but kept playing with maximum effort and the M's sucking in the end.

Huge game

"So Fla Red"

What looked like the Reds rightful window in the NL Central from 2012-2015 seems to be closing a few years too early before our eyes. I'm simply amazed the Cardinals have once again found the fountain of youth (without a lot of previously hyped minor leaguers) and now seem to have impressive young talent littering the roster. While the Reds look to be aging, slowing and getting more expensive before our eyes this season.

Cards and Pirates are going to be giving us some constant divisional headaches the next few seasons. Man I hope Hamilton can pan out in CF for the long run. That would be a game changer.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Yes. Same story in Cleveland.

And, Ms melted. Cards win 2-1 on a passed ball bottom 10.

Just a garbage night of baseball.

The sun will shine tomorrow. It simply must.
    The sun could shine tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that and before you know it the Reds are back to where they are before the Cubs series. Then you get excited and they lay an egg...or two, or three.

Strange season. Just when you feel they are done they surprise you. Just when you think they are great, they surprise you. Pretty crazy season.

So you know they'll probably just barely squeak into the playoffs. Win a 16-inning white knuckler in Pittsburgh or St. Louis and then back their way into WS and win the whole damn thing. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised.

Crazy thing though, I got my fill in the STL and LAD series. I really felt good. Felt satisfied. I've kind of taken a break from this team this week and you now what? I still feel good.

I think the closer you get to this team the crazier you will be.

Just my two cents.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

So you know they'll probably just barely squeak into the playoffs. Win a 16-inning white knuckler in Pittsburgh or St. Louis and then back their way into WS and win the whole damn thing. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised.

Crazy thing though, I got my fill in the STL and LAD series. I really felt good. Felt satisfied. I've kind of taken a break from this team this week and you now what? I still feel good.

I think the closer you get to this team the crazier you will be.

Just my two cents.
    Makes a lot of sense. Fortunately I was out West all week and missed the Cubs series. Although I would be floored and shocked beyond belief if they won the WS or went to the WS this season.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Wisconsin folks didn't take kindly to seeing the Braves steal out of town in the 60s, and it took a long long time for them to warm up to the Brewers. And Milwuakee was never an American League city. Plus the weather was always a factor until the new stadium was built. Baseball is not a cold weather game.
    Makes sense. The Brewers benefitted by coming back to the NL and gaining the Cubs and 9 guaranteed sellouts a year.

Also I think the value of a retratable stadium is a lot higher now than even 10 years ago in the hot weather and cold weather cities. With the advent of cheap, large screen HD LED TVs, all the home games being televised and ever higher ticket prices across the board (and more importantly the absurb rise in cost of concessions over inflation especially if you have a family). Just not as much reason for many to take a chance on attending a live MLB game if the weather conditions are going to be at all a factor in detracting from the experience. Not most fans, but enough at the margin to matter.

My understanding is the Brewers have a lot of amenities in the immediate area and a great game day atmosphere. However, I still think the Brewers attendance is going to nosedive as the quality of the product on the field continues to occupy last place in the NL Central for the next few seasons (Seattle is a good comp).

Makes sense. The Brewers benefitted by coming back to the NL and gaining the Cubs and 9 guaranteed sellouts a year.

Also I think the value of a retratable stadium is a lot higher now than even 10 years ago in the hot weather and cold weather cities. With the advent of cheap, large screen HD LED TVs, all the home games being televised and ever higher ticket prices across the board (and more importantly the absurb rise in cost of concessions over inflation especially if you have a family). Just not as much reason for many to take a chance on attending a live MLB game if the weather conditions are going to be at all a factor in detracting from the experience. Not most fans, but enough at the margin to matter.

My understanding is the Brewers have a lot of amenities in the immediate area and a great game day atmosphere. However, I still think the Brewers attendance is going to nosedive as the quality of the product on the field continues to occupy last place in the NL Central for the next few seasons (Seattle is a good comp).
    Had opportunity to catch a game at Miller Park last summer and it is a great place to watch baseball.

The attendance concerns that most surprise me though, are AL. The Rays and Indians are both really struggling as they seriously compete for postseason spots. I just don't know how else to explain fans not coming out for a competitive team as with TB thought I guess with Cleveland might be a function of the local economy.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

"So Fla Red"

I personally think baseball in Cleveland is doomed long term due to population shifts and a small relative market being boxed in by the Reds, Tigers and Pirates.

Demographically, I think MLB won't be in Cleveland by mid-century. Actually I think it is a race between the Pirates and Indians since two teams can't be in that population losing area long term. Two teams in Chicago also makes no sense going forward.

Seattle's attendance simply falling apart is really a shocker. Especially with no NBA team the last few years. Demographically, Seattle will be fine long term for baseball.

Tampa is a unique case. Partly the location of the dump of a stadium which makes zero sense and partly the apathy of summer time interest in pro sports in transient Florida.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fading, fading, fading away...

I personally think baseball in Cleveland is doomed long term due to population shifts and a small relative market being boxed in by the Reds, Tigers and Pirates.

Demographically, I think MLB won't be in Cleveland by mid-century. Actually I think it is a race between the Pirates and Indians since two teams can't be in that population losing area long term. Two teams in Chicago also makes no sense going forward.

Seattle's attendance simply falling apart is really a shocker. Especially with no NBA team the last few years. Demographically, Seattle will be fine long term for baseball.

Tampa is a unique case. Partly the location of the dump of a stadium which makes zero sense and partly the apathy of summer time interest in pro sports in transient Florida.
    yep, the location is just awful for Tampa. St. Petersberg is roughly 20-30 min away from downtown Tampa

The Reds get a layup today. Homer Bailey in September versus Johnny Hellweg. In 16.2 innings of work, Hellweg has walked 16 and struck out 4. His WHIP is 2.340. Small sample size yes. But in 457 minor league innings, Hellweg is walking 6.2 batters in every nine innings of work.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The Reds get a layup today. Homer Bailey in September versus Johnny Hellweg. In 16.2 innings of work, Hellweg has walked 16 and struck out 4. His WHIP is 2.340. Small sample size yes. But in 457 minor league innings, Hellweg is walking 6.2 batters in every nine innings of work.
    So we'll look to jump on him and hit the first pitch. Bass Ackwards

Turn Off Ads?