Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chromecast anyone?

Chromecast anyone?

If you don't know: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix

Picked one up yesterday. Works great. I'm currently watching game 4 of the 1990 World Series on my TV. So many mullets....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chromecast anyone?

Does it do anything that an HDMI cable from the device to the TV doesn't do?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Does it do anything that an HDMI cable from the device to the TV doesn't do?
    Yes/no. You can get a ton of free apps that will control your laptop from your phone, or pay a little extra and get really good ones. In that case, absolutely not.

This does give you the extra part where it doesn't require an HDMI cable. Of course it is also going to slow down your wifi.

My xbox360 can do all of this and more. Sure, my phone isn't the remote, but I have a controller that works just fine.

I don't have an xbox or anything, so if you have something like that, Doug's right in saying there's no reason to get a Chromecast.

For me, the few times I've tried connecting my laptop to the tv with an HDMI cable always resulted in weird lag issues.

I've tried streaming netflix and youtube, and both have worked great, with some really sharp clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes/no. You can get a ton of free apps that will control your laptop from your phone, or pay a little extra and get really good ones. In that case, absolutely not.

This does give you the extra part where it doesn't require an HDMI cable. Of course it is also going to slow down your wifi.

My xbox360 can do all of this and more. Sure, my phone isn't the remote, but I have a controller that works just fine.
    With Xbox Smartglass app, you can contol your Xbox from your phone.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

7. Likes:

dougdirt (07-26-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

The part that looks cool to me is that apparently you can have a Chrome tab open on your computer, and stream whatever content is in that tab to your TV. I have a Roku, and it's great, but not everyone has a Roku app. This would be cool to have for those times.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Did some reading.... not a fan.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/45...ogle-tv-failed
    It supports HTML5 video, audio, flash, and that's honestly about it — local files, Quicktime, and Silverlight video aren't supported yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I enjoyed this part of the article:

As for future restrictions, Chandra wouldn’t comment on hypotheticals, "Our stance right now, what we're enabling, is no different than an HDMI cable connecting your laptop to your TV."

I have one on back order from Amazon. For $35 I think its worth a try. If it's a bust I'm not out much $$$.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I got my Chromecast recently and it works great. Easy to set up too. Which is good for an old guy like me.
    The only problem I have encountered is from You Tube. I have playlists with music videos and would like play those. But after it plays one it stops and goes back to the You Tube screen. To get Chromecast started back I have turn the TV on and off and restart You Tube. That's not any good at all to sit and watch a few videos to play consecutively. Has anyone else had this problem and what have done about it? As a side note my wife has playlist under her account and hers play just fine. I assume its something with my settings but can't figure it out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?