Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nats are Irrelevant

Re: The Nats are Irrelevant

If the Reds had been swept in Milwaukee and the Nats had swept the Phils they would have been very much relevant. But that didn't happen. I still think you need to keep an eye on them. Like I have said in other posts. Crazier things have happened. Every year someone comes out of nowhere to either make the playoffs or just miss. It was looking like the Nats might be that team. Last nights loss for them though was a big hit on that comeback attempt.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nope....I'm calling your reverse jinx, therefore it has been negated.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I'll admit when the Nats got to 4.5 games behind us I was very, very slightly concerned but with our win and their loss today I see no way that they can catch us. 5.5 out with 13 to go? It's over.
    Yep. But it's not--and has never been--just about the math. It's also about the heart of a team and that's been the most concerning thing about Washington this year IMHO. It's why I've been so confident about them going nowhere despite being a casual fan of the team (so long as they don't get in our way on a game or seasonal basis) as the local option.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They won 7 in a row to get to the point of 4.5 back. Logic told me they would pretty much have to win out, including the 7 in a row, to make up the ground. Not gonna happen.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The likelihood is that the Cards or Pirates will win the division; the loser of those two hosts the wild card; the Reds are the road wild card; the Nats lose out.

It's the likelihood, not a certainty.

Any of these spots could change. Probably won't, but could.
    Of course true. But I think a big part of the fun is projecting certain outcomes selectively. Not all the time; just every now and then when your confidence in a certain scenario is especially high. Though it wasn't my hope (I wanted us to face DC in postseason with us winning), that has been my lot for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Hoping the Nats are extremely relevant when they play St. Louis. They're not catching the Reds but hope they still have an impact on the remaining season.
    Yes, this is HUGE. I do have confidence that the Nats can take at least one game from STL. Not super high but reasonably confident. One is better than none. And, of course, more than one would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm not going to bring up any painful memories, but complete collapses have happened.

It's unlikely for sure, but those who suggest that the Nats aren't a threat are deluding themselves.
    Delusional? Hmmm, I'm not usually accused of that but to each his or her own. I don't make certain-sounding proclamations very often. This one just felt different to me from my perch. I also just don't see us collapsing this year. I know we've done it in the past. But I think it exceedingly unlikely...crazily unlikely even...we'd miss out on postseason altogether. Not this year. But, yes, yes, of course you never know.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

There has never been any history of this team collapsing when leading a division or a WC spot.......they have collapsed in NLCS games/series 1973 and WS...but there have been no Braves 2011 like choke jobs during a regular season.

I do not see one happening again either, but those blown games at Philly, SD, AZ and MIL in the 9th sure did not help things.

Updating wild card playoff scenarios. Reds have 12 games remaining, Nats with 13, magic number at 9.

If Reds go 0-12, Nats need to go 5-8 to tie.
    If Reds go 3-9, Nats need to go 8-5.
    If Reds go 6-6, Nats need 11-2.
    If Reds go 8-4, Nats need 13-0.

Still pretty improbable, but it would have this be a little less probable right now.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Updating wild card playoff scenarios. Reds have 12 games remaining, Nats with 13, magic number at 9.

If Reds go 0-12, Nats need to go 5-8 to tie.
    If Reds go 3-9, Nats need to go 8-5.
    If Reds go 6-6, Nats need 11-2.
    If Reds go 8-4, Nats need 13-0.

Still pretty improbable, but it would have this be a little less probable right now.
    Is that for them to force a one game playoff or to win the WC outright
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If the Reds don't make the playoffs, it's their fault, not because the Nats got hot.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

9. Likes:

1940757690 (09-15-2013),757690 (09-18-2013),DocRed (09-15-2013),dubc47834 (09-16-2013)

Today's one-game makeup by DC changes nothing...absolutely nothing...about the prognosis in the thread headline. Partly due to the math. Partly due to the Nats being wholly unreliable from game to game as the past two days showed.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Is that for them to force a one game playoff or to win the WC outright
    That's what the Nats would need to do to tie the Reds and force a one-game playoff. Or another one-game playoff
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

12. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (09-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Today's one-game makeup by DC changes nothing...absolutely nothing...about the prognosis in the thread headline. Partly due to the math. Partly due to the Nats being wholly unreliable from game to game as the past two days showed.
    Not sure I understand how the last two days made the Nats wholly unreliable.

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Wholly unreliable because they lost yesterday and won today? Like the Reds did?

I won't lie, the Nats are making me nervous. Too many times teams come from no where and/or teams collapse. Its gonna make that Cards/Nats series interesting.

If the Nats sweep the Cards:

A: Reds go on and win division
    B: Reds collapse and miss out

Anything is possible with this team......

17. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (09-15-2013)

I still have seen no compelling reason to call Nate irrelevant.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

The way we lost today's game and countless others this year; and with a lack of high character wins (yes, I know; the two Billy Hamilton games v. The Dodgers)....

Just don't think its our year and totally seems like the door is open for the Nats. It is very much a "feel" thing. Just like heading into game five against the Giants. They didnt even need to play the game because I've watched this game enough to just know.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?