Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Re: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Your argument about Bruce is 20/20 hindsight and is analysis going backwards.

I don't disagree that pitching didn't hold up today....but the Reds still had a chance to be aggressive and win this game despite that. Unfortunately it was managed passively....playing for extra innings...and we see how that turned out.

The kid has been on base 5 times for the Reds...he's stolen 5 bases...and scored 4 times. That's 80% of the time he's been on base he's scored. But, let's keep him on the bench...especially in the very situation in which he excels.
    4 out of 5 times? Quite a sample size. Agree to disagree here I guess.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bad game to lose but it was a good loss. When we lose games due to stupidity, that is where I get irritated. Those are bad losses.

Your argument about Bruce is 20/20 hindsight and is analysis going backwards.

I don't disagree that pitching didn't hold up today....but the Reds still had a chance to be aggressive and win this game despite that. Unfortunately it was managed passively....playing for extra innings...and we see how that turned out.

The kid has been on base 5 times for the Reds...he's stolen 5 bases...and scored 4 times. That's 80% of the time he's been on base he's scored. But, let's keep him on the bench...especially in the very situation in which he excels.
    I just don't see how using Hamilton there makes all the difference. Your argument is "it could have" but you have absolutely no way of knowing that.

And if it doesn't work, you're left with Hamilton in center in a big park where he has zero experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    4 out of 5 times? Quite a sample size. Agree to disagree here I guess.
    We absolutely agree to disagree. Dusty left a bullet in the chamber. Passive management. Horrible loss.

6. Likes:

remdog (09-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I just don't see how using Hamilton there makes all the difference. Your argument is "it could have" but you have absolutely no way of knowing that.

And if it doesn't work, you're left with Hamilton in center in a big park where he has zero experience.
    And, to me, that IS the problem, we'll never know. What in the heck do the Reds have to lose in that situation? Why not give your team a chance to win when the opportunity presents itself? The kids' been playing CF in AAA all season. And if you don't want him in center, fine, put Paul in left and move Heisey to center. That very situation is why Hamilton's on the roster right now.

And, to me, that IS the problem, we'll never know. What in the heck do the Reds have to lose in that situation? Why not give your team a chance to win when the opportunity presents itself? The kids' been playing CF in AAA all season. And if you don't want him in center, fine, put Paul in left and move Heisey to center. That very situation is why Hamilton's on the roster right now.
    With everything that went wrong in that game, it's hard for me to see how Billy Hamilton would have made a difference. I mean, Choo got the steal. The team didn't get any hits that inning. Bruce was robbed. Whatever.

I just watched the highlights and either Bruce misjudged that triple or he just wasn't able to get to it. I don't think Choo bothered him on that play. That was the key play in the game, along with Gomez' catch.

9. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Really? Bruce drove one to the deepest part of the park and Gomez made an amazing play. They threw over a couple times when Choo was on base and he stole a bag. I can't see how anything would be different.
    Easy tracking of a ball and then jumping 15 or so inches off the ground and catching a fly ball is not an amazing play, yea it's huge because of the situation. Oh and bending your knees in the air makes it look even better.

Bruce did not make the catch he should have, and did not hit it quite far enough, I only blame him for the former. Crap happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With everything that went wrong in that game, it's hard for me to see how Billy Hamilton would have made a difference. I mean, Choo got the steal. The team didn't get any hits that inning. Bruce was robbed. Whatever.

I just watched the highlights and either Bruce misjudged that triple or he just wasn't able to get to it. I don't think Choo bothered him on that play. That was the key play in the game, along with Gomez' catch.
    You're right...a lot went wrong in that game. Despite that, it's my opinion that the Reds still had a chance to get the dub. To me it's an absolute no-brainer to put Hamilton in the moment Choo takes first base. BH just changes the game...or at least he has since he's been with the club. Does he score? Who knows...but he certainly has in those very situations...and he has made a difference when given a chance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Bad game to lose but it was a good loss. When we lose games due to stupidity, that is where I get irritated. Those are bad losses.
    Agreed. Bronson lost his control quickly, bullpen failed to step up...but more importantly...the Brewers WON the game. They made the plays when they needed to. We just got beat. It happens. It SUCKS...but its not the end of the world.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, we haven't had that big winning streak yet, but I know it's coming --
    I thought they were in the midst of it last week with the Cardinals and Dodgers series. Then they came back to Earth.

So how many series in a row have we lost to sub-.500 teams now? 5? 6? I've lost track.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed. Bronson lost his control quickly, bullpen failed to step up...but more importantly...the Brewers WON the game. They made the plays when they needed to. We just got beat. It happens. It SUCKS...but its not the end of the world.
    It has been happening a lot.

I only think that watching the Reds from June on in 1990.......was more painful to watch...a team play out a season that you knew they would probably still make the playoffs but wondering how they were going to accomplish anything once they got there.

This is painful to watch even when they are going to make the playoffs......all for just 1 game.

I think Dusty is tired and I think the guy has been told to take it easy with his health.
    It seems the Rest of the Team has that attitude as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Brewers had lost 5 of their last 6 at home to Pirates and Angels coming into this series. On paper, Reds and Brewers aren't even in the same universe. Same old Red Legs who just dropped 2 out of 3 to the Cubs at home.
    Without several of their starters from the beginning of the year as well.

Sure it happens.......to this Reds team that seems on auto pilot, it happens more often that it should.

I know everyone has been happy with the bullpen so far, and they should be. However, when you have to put guys like Parra, LeCure and Hoover in high leverage innings over and over again, you're gonna hit rough spots. This could be a big issue for the playoffs if Marshall doesn't come back.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This one man knows that acquiring a 36 year old/probably back on PEDs in a career year Marlon Byrd and a washed up Justin Morneau isn't 'all in'. If somebody wants to say they were solid moves, that's one thing. But 'all in' is getting Cliff Lee or Giancarlo Stanton.
    I don't know man. Marlon Byrd is OPSing just 4 points under 900 since he got to the Pirates. (323/364/532). He's OPSing 850 all year. That's an impact move if you can make it, and I can't imagine why the Reds didn't.

Turn Off Ads?