Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Todd Helton to retire

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Todd Helton to retire

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Helton to retire

No.
    Helton's Hall of Fame Monitor score of 175 says he should go in (the average member of the HOF has a score of 100).
    However his career splits show that on the road he has been .287/.386/.470. That is very good, probably better than some first basemen who are in the HOF, but not great.
    Baseball Reference.com's stats neutralizer shows Helton's neutralized career line to be .292/.387/.496 with 323 HR and 1151 RBI.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I'm going to say he probly gets in. I think he was clean during the steroid era and with the backlash against those players writers will probly vote him in. I think he is probly borderline and if he gets in good for him, if not had a very good career. Just my opinion tho!

Hall of Goodforalongtime in my opinion....but that maybe enough. The baseball HOF voters tend to reward sustained success at "very good" levels more than they reward "top of the game" for a short period of time. My best example: Dale Murphy. For a 3 or 4 year period, he was regarded as one of the most damgerous hitters in the game and was a guy fans came to see play. Nobody was up getting a beer when Murph was hitting from 82-84/85. Conversely, a guy like Paul Molitor played forever, was a very good player, maybe even won an MVP. But he was never "the guy" like Murph was. Yet Molitor is in based on longevity and compliling hits....Murph never got close because his dominance was short lived and he stuck around too long after he lost it, thus skewing career average/slugging/etc etc

6. Likes:

terminator (09-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    No.
    Helton's Hall of Fame Monitor score of 175 says he should go in (the average member of the HOF has a score of 100).
    However his career splits show that on the road he has been .287/.386/.470. That is very good, probably better than some first basemen who are in the HOF, but not great.
    Baseball Reference.com's stats neutralizer shows Helton's neutralized career line to be .292/.387/.496 with 323 HR and 1151 RBI.
    With all due respect, I would disagree. Helton's scorecard on every category says Hall of Famer. One his comparables, every one of them is a HOF'er except those who aren't yet eligible. Two are tainted (Rodriguez and Bonds, but I think they both ultimately go in - although A-Rod certainly is on the cusp of going all Pete Rose in his actions). The other is Griffey. Even equalizing his stats (and I don't know enough about that overall), I just don't think you can dismiss the career he's had overall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Helton will get in. Maybe not the first ballot or two but eventually he will be there. Consistently having league above average numbers are a big reason to get in and he has more than done that in his career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Hall of Very Good, in my book.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

mth123 (09-17-2013)

I think he is one of those guys who miss every year by a slim margin that slowly erodes, then maybe gets a surge toward the end of his eligibility. Maybe enough to make it. If not a veteran's committee will put him in at some point. The Colorado split will hurt him and it will be considered.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-17-2013)

I think he'll get in without too much problem. Probably not first ballot but shortly after that

He gets in the HOF, in my opinion.
    If I had a vote, I'd vote for him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-17-2013)

I lean towards yes, as he was both good for a long time and exceptionally good for about 5 years. I'd like to hear what his rivals say in the NL West, as well.

Very good but not a Hall of Famer. Granted my Hall of Fame would be very small one though. Numbers good enough but not the fame part or overall impact on the game.

The Hall will want someone wearing the Rockies cap. He is the only choice so far. I say he gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    The Hall will want someone wearing the Rockies cap. He is the only choice so far. I say he gets in.
    Among Rockies I would probably give the edge to Larry Walker.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-17-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

There's a good chance he juiced, given his career timeframe and performance but he hasn't been connected to any scandal.
    I say he gets in. They'll be looking hard for less controversial inductees and so far he fits the bill.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?