Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Rules of Baserunning

Redszone Rules of Baserunning

For some reason, I can't recall what at the moment , I have been pondering what a player should be taught as rules for good baserunning. I thought we at Redszone could compile a list of things to do or not to do to avoid being thrown out on the basepaths like a nitwit. (This is not intended to bash any particular team or player but is aspirational/ instructional.)

In no particular order, just to get us started:

*Know the number of outs.
    *If there is a runner ahead of you, make sure they are advancing before committing to going to that other runner's base.
    *When in doubt, slide.
    *If you are on-deck, be in position to signal to a runner approaching home whether they need to slide.
    *Do not slide headfirst into home.
    *Do not slide into first (unless to avoid a tag on an errant throw)
    *If you are on second and no runner is on first, make sure a ball hit to SS or 3rd is going through before trying to advance to third.
    *If you are at third with less than two out, go back to the base if the ball is hit in the air.
    *If you are down by more runs then innings remain, don't try to steal unless you are not being held on (defensive indifference)
    *If you are on first, do not try to go to third on a bunt.
    *If you are on a base and the defensive players are acting as if the ball has been thrown away, do not leave the base unless a coach is signalling you.
    *Look and listen to your base coaches.
    *If the ball is ahead of you (in your line of sight) watch how the play is developing
    *go in hard but clean to break up a double play
    *don't steal second only to be picked off but escape the pickoff by going back to first at the expense of the runner on first and then get caught stealing second in that same at bat. http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=26416825
    *if you are on first, go halfway if the ball is hit on the air to the OF and it should be caught.
    *when in doubt, slide
    *with two outs, do not get thrown out as a trailing runner before the winning or tying run will score.
    *as a trail runner, see where the ball is being thrown, don't assume that it is going after the lead runner or to the cutoff man
    *if you get caught off base with less than two out, keep the play alive long enough for other runners to safely advance
    *when getting tagged in a rundown, move to the outside so the fielder has to turn their back to any other runners who may be advancing
    *make sure a low line drive gets out of the infield before running or continuing to run

There is a beginning. What else should a good base-running team do or not do? What are the good fundamentals of base-running? Is base-running hyphonated?
    Last edited by klw; 09-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Rules of Baserunning

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    *don't steal second only to be picked off but escape the pickoff by going back to first at the expense of the runner on first and then get caught stealing second in that same at bat. http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=26416825
    We've seen the Reds make some really questionable decisions on the basepaths, but never one like this. I'm choosing to be thankful for that. Wow, just wow.

4. Likes:

Red Raindog (09-17-2013)

If you are in a run down, try to run into a fielder without the ball but is in the basepath.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (09-17-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

My thing would be to just think in advance what you are going to do in different situations. If you're not thinking beforehand, it is noticeable. You have to be thinking "OK, if the ball is hit to 3rd on the ground, Im going to do this" and so forth. Not just reacting on the fly. Just my $.02

I think most fans go by this: be super aggressive and never get caught. That's all they're asking.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

BRM13 (09-18-2013),Chip R (09-17-2013),dubc47834 (09-17-2013),KittyDuran (09-17-2013),Larkin Fan (09-17-2013),RadfordVA (09-17-2013),Tom Servo (09-17-2013)

*Always run counterclockwise.

*Wear good shoes so you don't get blisters.

*Don't carry scissors while running the bases.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-17-2013),meigsred (09-17-2013),mth123 (09-17-2013),OGB (09-18-2013),Roy Tucker (09-17-2013),texasdave (09-17-2013),Tom Servo (09-17-2013)

Perhaps the Reds are trying a new strategy. Do not slide at home. Hey they say you should never slide at first and you can run through home the same way as first base.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think most fans go by this: be super aggressive and never get caught. That's all they're asking.
    I enjoy watching good aggressive baseball. If you are running the bases aggressive but smart then the times in which the defense makes a play you just have to tip you cap.

Last night Brantley said on the radio (with obvious sarcasm): "you can't run to a base that your teammate is standing on...that's against the rules." Hope this nugget helps.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    *If you are on first, do not try to go to third on a bunt. **
    **Unless your name is Billy Hamilton. Hamilton can use his discretion.

Always stress the positive. You are not running yourself out of an inning. You are running yourself into another inning.

17. Likes:

BRM13 (09-18-2013),JohnCocktoasten (09-17-2013),KittyDuran (09-17-2013),marcshoe (09-17-2013),Norm Chortleton (09-17-2013),oneupper (09-17-2013),Red Raindog (09-17-2013),Tom Servo (09-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    We've seen the Reds make some really questionable decisions on the basepaths, but never one like this. I'm choosing to be thankful for that. Wow, just wow.
    my thing on that play is that the 2nd base ump missed a tag of segura at :29 AFTER they called braun out. watch it again..they tag him while he's off of second before he starts running back to 1st...should have been 3 outs at that point.
    Last edited by Beatlessp; 09-17-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added text

I think the Reds run the bases wonderfully, especially Cozart and Phillips. Push the envelope and make the other team throw you out.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Hanigan has more steal attempts this year than Cozart, albeit just one. I don't understand.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Hanigan has more steal attempts this year than Cozart, albeit just one. I don't understand.
    You're not criticising Cozart are you? The man has 2 RBI's tonight already! Zach picks and chooses base stealing wisely. Just hasn't had his chance yet.

Turn Off Ads?