Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB.com updated prospect list

MLB.com updated prospect list

When you see a prospect list like this put out by someone who is supposed to be credible, you just have to laugh. They sent out a Tweet today that Seth Mejias-Brean had entered the top 20. They did not address many of the other crazy placements.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...29414#list=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.com updated prospect list

Ok, what?

How are Wright and Buckley above anybody right now? Wright had a down year and Buckley didn't even play this season.

Based off of that list, Mejias-Brean should be no lower than #8

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Saw it earlier. Clicked the link. Saw Ryan Wright and Sean Buckley in the top 10. Stopped looking.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-21-2013)

Stephenson did not get as much respect as I expected, case of overrating own prospects?

Billy Hamilton at 15th? seems way too high.

Only 2 in the top 100 is depressing

I think they take their existing list (a list that preceded the 2013 season) and tweak minimally. Hardly a top to bottom reappraisal of the system based on another full season of development. Shoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think they take their existing list (a list that preceded the 2013 season) and tweak minimally. Hardly a top to bottom reappraisal of the system based on another full season of development. Shoddy.
    Agreed. Even their comments look like leftover from their draft profiles, not any kind of reflection on how the players, you know, actually performed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Stephenson did not get as much respect as I expected, case of overrating own prospects?

No. A case of irrational rankings.

What is interesting, is that Jim Callis picked Phil Ervin as being the most impressive draftee of 2013 (aside from Kris Bryant):

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

What's equally interesting (or perhaps more perplexing) is that in the last line of the article, he refers to Ryan LaMarre as a phenom.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What is interesting, is that Jim Callis picked Phil Ervin as being the most impressive draftee of 2013 (aside from Kris Bryant):

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

What's equally interesting (or perhaps more perplexing) is that in the last line of the article, he refers to Ryan LaMarre as a phenom.
    Jim Callis had me until he referred to Ryan LaMarre as a "phenom"

The Mayo is spread a little too thin it seems.

13. Likes:

Benihana (09-17-2013),BillDoran (09-18-2013),JaxRed (09-17-2013),mth123 (09-17-2013),Superdude (09-17-2013),The DARK (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Stephenson is 16th overall and 6th among SPs, which seems about right to me. To me this looks like a proximity issue, Stephenson has less experience in the upper levels of the minors than the guys in front of him so I think it's fair to give a slight edge to guys who have performed longer at the higher levels of the minors.

I always remembered these being decent lists and good info. Now the bar seems to be set at giving the casual fan something fun to read for five minutes. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but wow these have been bad lately even with modest goals in mind.

Maybe MLB.com bought the Yahoo Contributer Network.

You expect these lists to have an eyebrow-raising pick somewhere, but this comes across as a lazy mess.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 09-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I suspect this is more political than it is "lazy". I think it's no coincidence that you have the scouting director's son in the top-10 despite his lack of production and supposed skills.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I suspect this is more political than it is "lazy". I think it's no coincidence that you have the scouting director's son in the top-10 despite his lack of production and supposed skills.
    That would make sense if the rest of the list didn't look the way it does. It screams "take the list we did last year, add a few names in here randomly and adjust everyone else by simply moving them down a spot to make room for the guy we added".

19. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-17-2013),OGB (09-18-2013),Old school 1983 (09-21-2013)

Turn Off Ads?