Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/17/13 - Reds at Sir Charlestros

Re: 9/17/13 - Reds at Sir Charlestros

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I must be watching a different game because Phillips looked to be clearly safe to me. The catcher actually has to tag the runner before he puts his foot on the plate, which he did not.
    I thought he got him before he hooked his foot around to the plate....and we are watching the same game....that's why the guy in blue standing right there has the only opinion that really matters

2. Turn Off Ads?

Blocking the plate without the ball should be illegal. Probably is against the rules technically, but the catcher argues he's just trying to catch the ball so it's allowed.

But if the intent is to prevent the runner from scoring without the ball in catcher's hands, it should not be allowed.

The Astros may suck, but they look pretty good while sucking. Love their new uniforms.

Hannahan Ks, thereby reducing the Reds RISP hitting percentage.

Let's see if Izturis can get it home. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Blocking the plate without the ball should be illegal. Probably is against the rules technically, but the catcher argues he's just trying to catch the ball so it's allowed.

But if the intent is to prevent the runner from scoring without the ball in catcher's hands, it should not be allowed.
    That'd be way too revolutionary for MLB to even consider. Blocking w/o the ball has been the norm for...I don't know...maybe 200 years? So can't change that. Same as using replay for balls/strikes.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Ar least we got some controversy to create some posts in a big win game thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    That'd be way too revolutionary for MLB to even consider. Blocking w/o the ball has been the norm for...I don't know...maybe 200 years? So can't change that. Same as using replay for balls/strikes.
    I'm not sure it's been the norm throughout baseball history. It's the norm now, for sure.

Just seems ridiculous to me to let a player without the ball simply block the plate.

What if on a single to right field, Votto simply sat on first base and didn't let the baserunner have any access to the bag.

Whole thing is absurd.

9. Likes:

M2 (09-17-2013)

We got Soto, Rodriguez, Heisey, Izturis, Hannahan all getting some playing time.

The Reds now playing their own version of the Astros AAA lineup

How about Sean Marshall to finish up tonight?

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I thought he got him before he hooked his foot around to the plate....and we are watching the same game....that's why the guy in blue standing right there has the only opinion that really matters
    I was under the impression that we were on a Reds discussion forum where everybody's opinion matters?

The catcher was blocking the plate causing BP's left leg/ foot to be blocked during the ugly slide. BP appeared to then touch the plate by slipping his right foot in to touch the plate just before the tag.

Pirates lost. Cards way ahead. Nats swept the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not sure it's been the norm throughout baseball history. It's the norm now, for sure.

Just seems ridiculous to me to let a player without the ball simply block the plate.

What if on a single to right field, Votto simply sat on first base and didn't let the baserunner have any access to the bag.

Whole thing is absurd.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it was the norm from the earliest days. From when baseball was more like football with tackles and plenty of fisticuffs.*

*Source: Re-watched Ken Burns' "Baseball" 72-DVD set recently.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

You know...after all the drama in games most of the season, a game like this seems almost boring--not that I mind it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Leake 7 IP 3 H 3K shutout
    even against the Astros I'd have never thought it the way he looked the first couple innings - nice job so far!

Turn Off Ads?