Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake appreciation thread

Mike Leake appreciation thread

The easy choice for our 6th starter going into the season, added to the rotation after Chappy was designated as closer again.

5th in the NL in wins
    14th in the NL in ERA

Most impressive to me....after a late season 'meltdown', he has rebounded to go 20 scoreless innings in his last 3 starts.

Upped his WAR from .6 last year to 6.4 this year.

Nice haircut Mike, and thanks for a spectacular year!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Likes:

1940757690 (09-18-2013),Always Red (09-18-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-18-2013),jimbo (09-18-2013),OGB (09-18-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (09-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Leake appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The easy choice for our 6th starter going into the season, added to the rotation after Chappy was designated as closer again.

5th in the NL in wins
    14th in the NL in ERA

Most impressive to me....after a late season 'meltdown', he has rebounded to go 20 scoreless innings in his last 3 starts.

Upped his WAR from .6 last year to 6.4 this year.

Nice haircut Mike, and thanks for a spectacular year!
    Totally agree. Who would have thought he would have the 2nd lowest ERA among starters (not counting Cueto and Cingrani). In fact, the whole starting staff is amazing with Latos at 3.14, Leake at 3.21, Bailey at 3.40, Arroyo at 3.56, not to mention part timers Cingrani at 2.92 and Cueto at 3.02. Those are 1960's numbers!

Not to be a party pooper, but Reynolds goes tomorrow.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

5. Likes:

OGB (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

What? Why?

What? Why?
    He's not on the list
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I was laughed at when I said that his numbers were very comparable to Strasberg's the year they got drafted. I also said that it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being a better MLB pitcher.

I'm not happy that Strasberg's had all the injury problems, but I am quite glad that Mike has lived up to my expectations.

9. Likes:

1940757690 (09-18-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-18-2013),jimbo (09-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I thought he looked quite impressive in his 2 August starts. I didn't see his rather short outing last time out. Just watch, he'll be lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I thought he looked quite impressive in his 2 August starts. I didn't see his rather short outing last time out. Just watch, he'll be lights out.
    That would be awesome. You bing there guarantees it. I was serious when I said the thing about the trip to Pittsburgh. You've always given us good luck.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Leake is "regressing" to his norm.

LOL. I'm guessing the budget might be a tad tight for a quick hop up to the 'burgh. :O) Love that stadium though. My brother lived there in Pittsburgh for about 6 or 7 years. He loved it. But then again, he was already a steeler fan even when we lived in Columbus pre-85. If I do any traveling for a ballgame in the near future, it'll be to Cincy as I've yet to visit GABP. I haven't seen a game in Cincy since the 70's and Riverfront.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    LOL. I'm guessing the budget might be a tad tight for a quick hop up to the 'burgh. :O) Love that stadium though. My brother lived there in Pittsburgh for about 6 or 7 years. He loved it. But then again, he was already a steeler fan even when we lived in Columbus pre-85. If I do any traveling for a ballgame in the near future, it'll be to Cincy as I've yet to visit GABP. I haven't seen a game in Cincy since the 70's and Riverfront.
    You need to go. Sort of like a trip to Crosley wit iPhone effects. I live it, but for the first time in a long time, because of the unfortunate accident, I'm grieving not being able to go. No Frisch's, Montgomery Inn, White Castle, or Graeter's. and the Reds. I'll live, but it's depressing.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Where is 6.4 WAR coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Where is 6.4 WAR coming from?
    ESPN stat site

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchin...RBR/order/true

I think ESPN needs to re-calibrate its WAR calculation. Those numbers are absurdly high for everyone.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I think ESPN needs to re-calibrate its WAR calculation. Those numbers are absurdly high for everyone.
    You're probably right but I still feel like WAR is a ridiculous statistic. It's the one modern stat that I refuse to buy into.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I admit: I hammered the guy after 2-3 starts. Thought he was batting practice for the opponent every time he took the hill. But he's been tremendous. Very glad to have been wrong.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?